Vegetarian Proteins

Options
I'm not a big fan of meat. I eat it for the protein. I would like to eat more vegetarian sources of protein (no beans), but IDK how to cook that stuff. Does anyone have recipes for tofu, etc, that they love or any advice on how to cook meat alternatives?

Replies

• JoMurray28
    JoMurray28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hi, I've been veggie for decades now and would never go back to meat. I love quorn products as they're so versatile and most meat eaters don't realise that it isn't meat. You can have sausages which you would cook like a normal sausage. The quorn pieces/chunks are great for adding to stir frys and the quorn fillets really need cooking in a sauce but are great to take the place of chicken breasts with a jacket potato and veg. You can get a quorn roast which I shove in a slow cooker with stock and veg and then serve with some potatoes. what meat stuff do you usually cook?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have a go-to dish that's just stir fried veg with tofu over rice. You can cut the tofu into small pieces and just stir fry it with the vegetables, or if you want cook it separately in a skillet (spray oil on the pan or non stick) and then add it -- I'm lazy so usually put it in with the veg and it's fine. Adding some Japanese 7-spice if you have it makes the dish, and perhaps some soy sauce.

I'd look at Asian cookbooks or cooking websites for good ideas for tofu.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about your "no bean" comment since tofu comes from soybeans, a legume (bean). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean

Maybe you don't like kidney beans, for example, but are open to lentils (also legumes)?

Sometimes people have issues with gas from canned beans but are ok when they start with dried beans. People may also have issues with gas when they go from low fiber to higher fiber diets, so people who wish to avoid this should add fiber gradually.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese

What about fish?
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is pretty good too if prepared the right way. Google recipes. There are many options. We like it in a rainbow thai salad. Check out minimalistbaker.com. She has awesome recipes!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese

What about fish?

Vegetarians don't eat meat, which is what fish (like all animals) are made of.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese

What about fish?

She isn't vegetarian.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese

What about fish?

She isn't vegetarian.

No, but she's specifically asking about vegetarian sources of protein. Fish isn't one. It's meat, which OP stated she isn't a fan of.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    To be specific about a few: I like edamame pasta with peanut sauce made from peanut butter powder (plus soy or chili sauce, rice vinegar, and seasonings) and stir-fried veggies. Smoked tofu makes a nice sandwich in whole wheat pita with sauerkraut and mustard (I'd use cheese, too, but don't know if you eat dairy; it's fine without). Chickpea or pea pasta can be helpful, in any recipe where you'd use pasta, if you can eat non-bean-like beans. (Pulverized dehydrated mushrooms with tomatoes, some browned tempeh, and seasonings will make a nice pasta sauce. I'd add lentils, but you said no beans. I eat a lot of beans!). Stew with browned tempeh added at the end is good.

You might want to check out the thread below to identify protein sources you may not have thought of. It has a spreadsheet linked that lists foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. You'll have to scroll past the meaty/fishy stuff near the top, but vegetarian sources are there further down. I'd almost guarantee that you already know how to cook some of them, but asking here or in the Recipes area about "how to use ingredient X" should get some specific suggestions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    seagrava wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of meat. I eat it for the protein. I would like to eat more vegetarian sources of protein (no beans), but IDK how to cook that stuff. Does anyone have recipes for tofu, etc, that they love or any advice on how to cook meat alternatives?

Hello.

Breakfast/lunch-
    Wholemeal toast with peanut butter.
    (Important that those two go together - google "complete protein").

Dinner-
    Asian food. Specifically Indian - country of vegetarians.
    'Daal' aka Lentils.
    'Chana' aka Chickpeas.

Also-
    Dont know if you are US or UK/Eu... US seems to be a lot of Tofu (which I personally find pretty meh!). Otherwise try "quorn" or "seitan" for your (veggie) chicken nugget fix
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My favourite tofu recipe.
    https://pin.it/m6ufxtlfq26q7j
  • FitnessIsMyNewReligion
    Options
    Hi! I like green peas, and tofu is really good rolled in corn starch and “fried” in a skillet..Can eat with a little garlic sauce or peanut sauce. Makes it chewy, and can be added to any dish, salad, whatever you want. I just eat it like chicken nuggets, dipping it in something tasty but healthy.