Good amount of protein from cereal type breakfasts?

Options
I usually eat the traditional egg type of breakfast, but I want to increase my variety, but it is awfully hard to have enough protein those other ways.
I like to have a good size breakfast and I am aiming to eat 450 calories +/- 50. I like to get at least 20-25 g of protein from that meal and at least 10 gr of fiber, which keeps my hunger in the bay until lunch. ( or at least 30-35g from the combination of the 2.)

I tried the whole wheat bread with peanut butter, fruit and milk breakfast , I tried the oatmeal/ milk + nuts and fruits breakfast , but I do not see how to get enough protein this way.
I like to get my calories and nutrients from food, so I am not fan of protein bars and shakes and what not.
Shoot me with your eggless high protein breakfast ideas, please!

Replies

• hurrayhurrah
    Options
    I love Kashi cereal. There's one that claims right on the box that it has as much protein as an egg :).
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    Fish. I often eat fish for breakfast. Cook some up, throw it in the fridge, and you can eat it cold for a few days.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    One serving of original Special K has 6 g of protein, add in the milk and you have about 13g of protein between cereal and milk.
  • sveltelady
    sveltelady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus is good but really good with a fruit like banana or berries :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have found that 3 whole eggs and 4 pieces of natural uncured bacon gives me a ton of protein and fills me up for hours. I tried the oatmeal and fruit thing. I just got hungry and weak and shaky a couple of hours later. Now I stay full for about 5-6 hours.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Lean meats
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Kashi Go Lean
  • firefightinflip
    Options
    Why do you not want to eat until lunch? You should really eat a snack between breakfast and lunch.....keep gas in the engine, so to speak.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Second Kashi Go Lean, then substitute the milk with soy or almond - pretty decent protein content for "cereal".
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great option. A 6 ounce container of the plain, fat free variety has 18 grams of protein and only 100 calories, as well as 20% of your calcium.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I want high protein in all my meals but i get tired of eggs for breakfast!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi cereal. There's one that claims right on the box that it has as much protein as an egg :).

what i was gonna say..i also add some vanilla protein powder (1/2 scoop optimum nutrition whey) to get another 12 g of protein. throw in some berries and you're good to go!
  • brandon2743
    brandon2743 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Protein Powder in your milk, Turkey Bacon, Cottage Cheese
  • reneeanne422
    reneeanne422 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cant eat first thing in the morning, but on my way into work I'll have two light mini baby belle's and a half cup of frozen black grapes follwed by greek yogurt and fresh berries when i get into work.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to eat until lunch? You should really eat a snack between breakfast and lunch.....keep gas in the engine, so to speak.
    Often I do , but the whole 5-6 small meals a day is not working for me. if I want to keep under 1600 cal a day 5-6 meal barely let me have a 300 calorie per meal, which is too little for me.

I rather have 3 nice size meals around ~500 cal. If I eat snacks between, I always go over my calorie allowance , especially on the days i do not exercise. If I exercise on the day, it is not a problem, as the extra calories burnt let me have the snacks.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    try the combination of high protein cereal (Kashi has different ones) with the greek yoghurt. Lots of protein and I like it cos the cereal doesnt get too soggy.:smile:
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Stir some cottage sheese in your oatmeal. I have mine with 1/2 c 1% cc, 9 raw almonds chopped and whatever I have for fresh fruit. Delish and keeps me full for hours.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Kashi Go Lean.

Kashi Go Lean (1 cup) and 1 cup 1% milk =
    Cals - 287
    Protein - 25 grams
    Fiber - 13 grams
    Total - 38 grams

Add 1/8 cup sliced almonds and you have:
    Cals - 372
    Protein - 28 grams
    Fiber - 15 grams
    Total - 43 grams
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Not for breakfast , but got a big amount cottage cheese for dinner last night and it was great! Thanks ladies and gens for the idea. I totally forgot about cottage cheese. Great amount of protein with very little fat or carbs that is so rare in a food. Plus yummy too.

anybody know nitrate free turkey bacon? I really want to cut out nitrate infused cold cuts
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options

There is a school of thought that says only eating 3 meals a day and NO SNACKING is the way to go for weight loss. I'm guessing the OP is going this route.
  • fieldfare
    Options
    Could try a search for quinoa breakfast recipes - ohsheglows.com has some nice ones, Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad ... quinoa's a grain but a complete protein too