Breastfeeding

Options
Hello,
I’m new to this app. Any guidance on loosing weight while breastfeeding? Does that change my calorie intake? I’m currently 11 weeks postpartum with a preschooler as well. I’m looking at to get back to my first pre pregnancy weight (about 50lbs to loose). I’m in no rush. I’d just like to be healthy and set a good example for my children. Add me as a friend if you have any advice or if you’re on a similar journey!
Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have never been in your situation, but I have seen posters here before say they ate their maintenance calories and let breastfeeding create their deficit. Try searching the word breastfeeding, it might bring up some of those posts. If nothing else, here's a bump for your post :smile:
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding burns SOOO many calories, I lost like 20 lbs just by eating normally and doing that. If you are serious about doing it and don't care about how long it takes, just decrease your calorie intake by a little, not a lot. Consulting a doctor for a target number helps. Mine told me 1600 a day. I'm losing weight steady, not super fast like at 1200. I'd definitely go a little lower than maintaining calories, just to get into the habit of tracking, and let the breast feeding take care of the rest.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    But I wouldn't just let the breastfeeding do all the work, because once you stop, you'll stop losing, or gain it all back like I did. Get into the habit now, that;s my advice.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tarcotti wrote: »
    Breast feeding burns SOOO many calories, I lost like 20 lbs just by eating normally and doing that. If you are serious about doing it and don't care about how long it takes, just decrease your calorie intake by a little, not a lot. Consulting a doctor for a target number helps. Mine told me 1600 a day. I'm losing weight steady, not super fast like at 1200. I'd definitely go a little lower than maintaining calories, just to get into the habit of tracking, and let the breast feeding take care of the rest.

By eating at maintenance, I didn't mean not tracking. I meant setting MFP with your goal as maintenance, and logging and eating those calories. As you start to wean, yes you need to start to eat less calories.