I just joined 10 days ago. I never realized how many calories are in the food I eat. These past 10 days have been a HUGE eye opener for me!

I quit smoking this past December and when I did, I not only uncovered some severe anxiety, but I gained a lot of weight. I've always been "thick" but when I quit smoking, I was hungry all the time and didn't make the best choices in food. I gained about 30 pounds which put a lot of stress on my body and caused some pretty harsh back pain.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to settle down with my boyfriend. I'm going back to school starting next week and trying to change my life and be more happy and healthy. I not only want to lose the 30 pounds I've gained, but I want to go further. I want to drop about 50 pounds.

So far the app has helped me to realize what I need to stop eating. I'm starting to get it under control.

Just wanted to introduce myself! Comments welcome. :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    It's different when the numbers are right in your face.
  • Mirella9
    Mirella9 Posts: 19
    Hey! I just started using this program last night and when I wrote down everything I'd eaten that day, I was like "WTH!?!?!" Anyway- today's been good, so far. Hope you have a good weekend...and I hope we BOTh resist BFT (Bad Food Temptation...I just made that up. I'm a dork...)! Take care- Mirella
  • It's different when the numbers are right in your face.

SOOOO true! I didn't even realize how bad I was!

And Mirella, its ok, I'm a dork too! I'm going on a date tonight with my boyfriend, so that's going to be the true test for me!
  • Hey! I just started using this program last night and when I wrote down everything I'd eaten that day, I was like "WTH!?!?!" Anyway- today's been good, so far. Hope you have a good weekend...and I hope we BOTh resist BFT (Bad Food Temptation...I just made that up. I'm a dork...)! Take care- Mirella

I am so stealing that!!! (BFT) I have already used it on my friend. LOL
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Welcome!!!!
  • My friend and I also tell each other to think skinny when we're chatting! Just to stay motivated. haha
  • Welcome!!!!

Thanks!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Welcome & congrats on stopping smoking! You've definitely come to the right place. Lots of great people here!
  • Heyy,, I Hate The Fact that things you thought were healthy aren't and this website is the bomb! it helps me make the right choices in what i eat! it makes me smile though when i come under my calorie target!

Just keep fighting those temptations and exercise and mate you'll lose it all :P

Lauren x
  • Welcome & congrats on stopping smoking! You've definitely come to the right place. Lots of great people here!

Thanks!!
  • Heyy,, I Hate The Fact that things you thought were healthy aren't and this website is the bomb! it helps me make the right choices in what i eat! it makes me smile though when i come under my calorie target!

Just keep fighting those temptations and exercise and mate you'll lose it all :P

Lauren x

I feel the same way! And thanks for the encouragement!
  • Shawtee808
    Shawtee808 Posts: 60 Member
    Welcome!! I too quit smoking, but just about a month after smoking for 20 years! So far I haven't gotten the urge and as for logging the food is a really big eye opener as to how many calories you take in daily. I've been on here for about 2 weeks and so far I've lost 5lbs, some days are harder than others, but with everyone on MFP's encouraging words and inspirational stories, I know I will SUCCEED! Good Luck on Your Fabulous Journey to become HEALTHY! :flowerforyou:
  • Welcome!! I too quit smoking, but just about a month after smoking for 20 years! So far I haven't gotten the urge and as for logging the food is a really big eye opener as to how many calories you take in daily. I've been on here for about 2 weeks and so far I've lost 5lbs, some days are harder than others, but with everyone on MFP's encouraging words and inspirational stories, I know I will SUCCEED! Good Luck on Your Fabulous Journey to become HEALTHY! :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much! I started smoking really young and smoked for about 17 years so it was hard, but I haven't had the urge at all. I just started eating more. Haha! But I'm working on that part now.

Congrats on your 5 pounds and many more to come!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    I hear ya!! This site is a HUGE help, and you will see results if you stick with it!! Good luck, and feel free to add me for more support and motivation!! ROCK-IT GIRL!!!
  • I seem to to this every 10 years. I have to stop doing this and stay on track! Thought this site may help me FOCUS! Hello to all Newbies.