Beginner lifting routine

Options
I had a friend come to me and ask to train him up. I took starting strength and modified it a bit in the areas I thought were lacking (namely pull ups, dips, and core. I also added a bit of basic strength conditioning because I think it is important)

Anyways, I think it is a pretty well designed beginner routine and figured I'd post it here for people to look at/ maybe use. Or tear it apart and woo me for it because you think it is bad - whatever floats your boat. So, here it is.

DAY 1:
SQUATS 3X5
DEADLIFT 3X5
BENCH 3X5
BARBELL ROW 3X5
PLANKS: LEFT/RIGHT/CENTER 30-60 SECONDS
FARMERS WALKS X4 (approx 30 meters)
TIRE FLIPS 4x 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest

DAY 2:
SQUAT 3X5
OVERHEAD PRESS 3X5
PULL-UPS 3X FAILURE
DIPS 3X FAILURE
PLANKS L/R/C 30-60 SECONDS PER
SLEDGE TIRE 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest
BATTLE ROPES 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest

Rinse & repeat.

Never work out more than 2 days consecutively, never rest more than 2 days consecutively. Extra pushups, pull ups on doorway bar, wall sits, air squats, and planks encouraged on all lifting days. Do nothing on rest days.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    He can do a few pull-ups.

I added the pull-ups and dips because they are extremely basic movements that everyone should train to do.

I see I'm getting woos - that's fine, but if you're gonna woo me at least give reason beyond the fact that I modified starting strength...it is seen as some sort of holy grail on these forums. While good, I thought it was lacking a few things. If someone did pure starting strength, they would not build the muscles necessary to do a pull-up. It doesn't train the lats and biceps at all, with the exception of a bit of bi on the pendalay rows It is also lacking in core training. Planks are something for everyone, of all skill levels. Most bodyweight stuff is except stuff like handstand push ups.

I will conceded that the conditioning stuff might not be necessary - but you can not deny that farmers walks are about as functional as functional strength gets.

If you don't like it, I want to hear solid reasons - not just "omg he changed starting strength"

I personally see no reason why this is not a good beginner plan. It is certainly less intense than the conditioning I was put through in Army infantry basic and that did wonders over 4 months, without true targeted nutrition - pull ups and dips were done 3 days a week, along with a lot of other bodyweight stuff, as well as some basic weight lifting in the evenings.

I did not woo, though I will state my opinion.

Pull ups as a novice isn't neccessary unless your goals is to compete doing some kind of pull up movement. I would certainly program pullups for a period after a LP as added stimulas. While it's a good movenent, it has a short run for being efficient for some goals.

Starting Strength is a good program, not great. It's a option for a beginner, but just about any program will give you enough stimulas. Simply put, people will respond because lifting is novel to the novice. I'm a fan more of the book and detailed info on how to perform lifts than the program itself

That being said, lats are adressed in SS through the heavy pull (deadlift) and the lighter pull (rows/power clean). These alternate every day. It plenty of stimulas for the 2-3 months a lifter would run SS before moving on

Biceps are not abandoned, the bench as well as some rows will give some stimulas. Not alot mind you, but reminder SS is a strength based program for a beginner. Not much stimulas is needed and it is a short program.

I disagree that conditioning isn't neccessary for a novice, and many consider it a short fall of SS.

Farmer's walks are not as useful as other lifts. I would possibly program them if someone was doing crossfit games or strongman comps. I would not utilize them for basic strength as there are better options.

Personally I don't see the point of anyone designing a beginner program since there are so many to choose from that will give almost the same results. I wish you well regardless.

Thanks chief - yours is one of the opinions I was hoping to see on this.

A good amount of my "base strength" was built on bodyweight past failure over and over and over in army infantry basic a lot of years ago. Whenever I look at beginner routines, they seem too tame compared to what I know the body can handle and adapt to based on that experience. That was where I was coming from when I designed this.

Your opinion on farmers walks is duly noted. I included the strongman conditioning mostly because I am absolutely in love with it and thought a bit of it was useful, but maybe that was going too far.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm all for chins / dips, do lots of them myself. But I am also for quality and purposeful rep's, meaning you manage the eccentric well to proper depth and explode back up. Somebody that is truly a beginner with no strength development; I would be surprised if they have the strength to do this. If they can, then awesome.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I had a friend come to me and ask to train him up. I took starting strength and modified it a bit in the areas I thought were lacking (namely pull ups, dips, and core. I also added a bit of basic strength conditioning because I think it is important)

Anyways, I think it is a pretty well designed beginner routine and figured I'd post it here for people to look at/ maybe use. Or tear it apart and woo me for it because you think it is bad - whatever floats your boat. So, here it is.

DAY 1:
    SQUATS 3X5
    DEADLIFT 3X5
    BENCH 3X5
    BARBELL ROW 3X5
    PLANKS: LEFT/RIGHT/CENTER 30-60 SECONDS
    FARMERS WALKS X4 (approx 30 meters)
    TIRE FLIPS 4x 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest

DAY 2:
    SQUAT 3X5
    OVERHEAD PRESS 3X5
    PULL-UPS 3X FAILURE
    DIPS 3X FAILURE
    PLANKS L/R/C 30-60 SECONDS PER
    SLEDGE TIRE 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest
    BATTLE ROPES 4 rounds, 30 work/60 rest

Rinse & repeat.

Never work out more than 2 days consecutively, never rest more than 2 days consecutively. Extra pushups, pull ups on doorway bar, wall sits, air squats, and planks encouraged on all lifting days. Do nothing on rest days.

Pretty sure there's talk about how to incorporate chins and dips in the SS book. I suggest anyone to read it, it's good.

There is. It states something along the lines that some novices can't do a strict one for various reasons. Those novices should just wait until they are stronger from deadlifts or other pulls.

In my opinion by the time one gets stronger, they should be on more advanced programming since it only takes approximately 12 weeks give or take a couple weeks on average to run the program usefully.

It's a good movenent early on during post novice and for somebody who needs specificity to that type of movement for certain training, just won't be as noticable if missing during the beginning of a novice type program such as SS.

• Onyx_MCG
    Onyx_MCG Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend