Pre workout while losing weight?

Options
I currently take RAW LIT pre workout most days when I do lower body. It doesn’t matter if I’m trying to lose weight, correct? Should I take pre workout or BCAAS? I don’t know what would be best since I wanna lose weight but maintain my muscle.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are great, but you probably get as much as you need from food.

A pre workout is fine as long as it fits into your calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why do you want a pre-workout? What are you hoping to get from it?

BCAAs are either a complete waste of money or at best a poor choice. Again - what are you hoping to gain from it?

It "matters" for weight loss if your pre-workout has calories.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

BCAAs are either a complete waste of money or at best a poor choice. Again - what are you hoping to gain from it?

I don’t have energy at times and hip thrusts are exhausting for me so I like to have energy in the gym. What’s one of the best pre workouts I can take?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are a waste of money, you get them from food. Basically every Instagram "fitness model" is only pushing them to make money.

There is no "best pre-workout" it's all personal. I work out (including lifting) fasted because I work out first thing before breakfast. I tried pre-workout once, it made me dizzy, but other people love it.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »

I don’t have energy at times and hip thrusts are exhausting for me so I like to have energy in the gym. What’s one of the best pre workouts I can take?

There really is no "best" besides straight black coffee. All pre-workouts are a bit rough on the body honestly and aren't necessary.

That said, I like C4 because it isn't overly crazy high caffeine. The original jack3d with DMAA was practically legal meth in a plastic can. Mr Hyde makes me feel like my heart is going to explode. It's all personal preference - but the honest answer to which is best, is none.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are basically a very expensive way to get flavored water.
    A pre-workout won't impact weight loss unless it has calories.
    The "best" pre-workout is completely subjective, as different people react differently and have different preferences. See if you can get a variety of sample packs and try a few to see what you do or don't like.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »

Avoiding an excessive calorie deficit, a good overall diet with a decent amount of carbs would be my choice. If you like stimulants then manipulate your caffeine intake around your training.
    I only use caffeine hours into an endurance event and never in a gym setting.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Pre-work outs are kind of a waste but in terms of weight loss, all that matter are calories. As long as the pre-workout fits into your daily targets you'll continue to lose weight.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    As others have stated, there is no “best” pre-workout. However, I would also caution to take stock of the ingredients. A number of pre-workout supplements contain Higenamine. If, for example, one takes ADHD medication, it’s a bad mix. It also falls under banned substances for orgs like the NCAA and WADA. If one isn’t worried about bans, it works....I used to use pre-workout that contained it. The affects were calculable when it came to my burn.