Loose skin advice

Options
A little over a year ago I started my journey. I was almost 300lbs (5'9). Now I am 202, still wanting to lose around 20lbs but I'm starting to get saggy skin. It's really bad in my legs and semi bad in my arms and belly. Does anyone have any advice on things I can do to help tighten it up? I know it'll take time and may never get better but I need to try. Please help

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that is a great feat. I am working on the same, being 5'9 started a bit over 300. And have wondered about the same exact thing. There is surgery for it, but what I have read it is scary beyond belief, and very expensive.
    Also you can go to Search and type in Saggy skin, and or loose skin and it will bring up other discussions there have been about it. Pretty informative.
  • felixg1109
    felixg1109 Posts: 172 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depending on how low you want to go with your weight you won't get 100% rid of it. But there are some things you can do. First of all - do sports. Everything that gets the blood running is good for you. Second thing is to moisture your skin regularly by massaging the cream in. A good part of your skin will tighten up when time goes by, but in most cases you won't get a 100% tightened body. Most of it comes with your genetics.

If the saggy skin causes wounds or something like that you could even think about removal surgeries. In germany it's sometimes covered by the insurances, but i don't know about it in the american "health care system". But don't underestimate those surgeries. I am up to my last one in january and it gives you a hard time ;-)

good luck
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I’d concur with AnnPT77 that it might not turn out as bad as you imagine at this point. I’m down to half the weight I was in the beginning (143 out of 285), and as I approach goal/maintenance, though I have plenty of loose skin, it’s nowhere near as bad as I dreaded midway through. Things look a lot worse in the middle of your journey, and I’m actually pleasantly surprised.

I will probably get skin surgery in a few years, but it could be a lot worse.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Also agreeing with Ann. I lost almost 45% of my body weight at 52 and had a baby at 40 so I have a lot of loose skin experience.

Things definitely look worse midway and continue to improve as you maintain and keep eating well and exercising. You might never look 100% firm, but it wont stay 100% awful, either.