Running shoes

Options
How often do you guys get new running shoes? Do you ever wash them?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i use my garmin to track my mileage and i replace them between 300-600 miles. different shoes last longer than others. i know when my shins start to hurt, it's time for me to replace them. saucony i get about 300, brooks 500
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Every 350 miles, give or take -- I base it on whenever the race is that takes me closest to that distance, as long as I don't exceed 360-375ish. I track the mileage through Runkeeper.

I don't wash them. If they get super muddy after a race that involves dirt -- my running path/trail is asphalt -- I let it dry and brush them off.
  • jgaff11
    jgaff11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    300 miles for me. This may vary depending on your shoe, weight, surface that you're running on, existing injuries, etc. but it seems like most people replace around that time. I also use Runkeeper's shoe tracker, but I know when shoes hit mile 275 or so because I start getting strange aches and pains that I don't usually get. If you've had your shoes for a while and you have weird discomfort, it's probably time for a new pair.

I've never washed a running shoe, but I also run mostly on asphalt and some on sandy trails. It's very dry here and so they don't get unusually dirty.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I also don't wash running shoes, unless I've been running in mud. Most of my running is on asphalt. I track my runs on runningahead, which includes my shoes. I alternate about 5 pairs, depending on what kind of run I'm doing. My shoes last 400-500 miles usually before I start getting odd pains that let me know it's time to retire them. Some will be retired a bit early and go on to become walking shoes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I get new ones whenever my knees or hips start to bother me, that's usually a pretty good sign they're starting to break down. No, I don't wash them.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I get about 400 miles out of a pair of running shoes. 300 if they have gotten wet (like a long run in the rain with some puddle dunks kind of wet). I don’t wash them.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I use Brooks and I usually get about 500 miles out of them, a good chunk of that will be on a treadmill
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I get new ones when my feet start hurting
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Not sure on mileage but it tends to be every 6 months or so.

I've washed mine a few times, they'll be fine as long as you don't put them in the dryer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgaff11 wrote: »

i get around 500 miles out of my New Balance, i can tell from how my legs feel and the wear of the tread when they're getting done.

i don't often run trails so never needed to wash them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jgaff11 wrote: »

I generally get somewhere between 400 and 600 miles out of mine. Road shoes at the lower end, MudClaws at the upper end.

I'll hose them off, then let them dry.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Wow! People really wash their running shoes? IMO, they are way too expensive to risk washing. The materials wear out quick enough on their own.

• Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do about 600 kilometers on my Nike Zooms, they're strictly asphalt, concrete and track, never wash them, but they do get soaked on rainy runs....
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I look for minimal padding in my shoes - I wear them until the the sole is worn through. I am not opposed to hosing them down after a mud run, but wouldn't dry them in the machine.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow! People really wash their running shoes? IMO, they are way too expensive to risk washing. The materials wear out quick enough on their own.

I just go for a 2 hr run in the rain and then they’re nice and clean lol...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I just go for a 2 hr run in the rain and then they’re nice and clean lol...

The ones I wear in the rain never seem to fully recover and they wear out so much faster (but it might be the specific shoes I wear). I am not about to toss mine in the washer to have them wear out even faster (again-might be the specific shoes I wear).
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get approx. 400 miles out of mine before they get replaced. I have never, ever have considered washing them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Fwiw, leaving them muddy ends up with fragments wearing down the fabric. Never need to with my road shoes, but my trail shoes OTOH.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the cushioning begins degrading significantly around 300-400 miles, so I try to change them around that mileage. I don't wash conventional running shoes but I have washed trail running shoes.