Knee strength

Options
Hi,

I haven't run in months, and I probably don't intend to do anytime soon with this knee pain. But does anyone have an idea on how to increase knee strength gradually to be able to do a pistol squat? I've had behind knee tendinitis, which has improved, but I've also not doing much in the knee area as much anymore. I still do frog squats but I have a crunching noise in my knees. Ive been to the doctor and have had X-rays to check them out and so far they're okay, but has anyone had any experience with this symptom or have a way to increase knee strength?

kat

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s not just about your knees. You have to increase your full leg strength: calves, quads, and hammies.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    X-rays don't tell the whole picture. Have you had an MRI? Are you currently in frequent pain with your knees?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Yeah, x-rays aren't that helpful. I agree with asking/insisting on an MRI. If you're in pain that's not normal. Keep going back to the doctor until it is resolved. One of the first things they should do is get you to physical therapy - and that's where you'll learn your range and what to do to rehab it (if that's possible.) I had meniscus surgery after a long painful *crunching noise* few months. The surgery is out-patient and I was back at normal activity in about 10 days.

Go back to the doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    knunez2395 wrote: »
    Hi,

I haven't run in months, and I probably don't intend to do anytime soon with this knee pain. But does anyone have an idea on how to increase knee strength gradually to be able to do a pistol squat? I've had behind knee tendinitis, which has improved, but I've also not doing much in the knee area as much anymore. I still do frog squats but I have a crunching noise in my knees. Ive been to the doctor and have had X-rays to check them out and so far they're okay, but has anyone had any experience with this symptom or have a way to increase knee strength?

kat

I don't do any squats at all while I have knee pain. My problems started 9 years ago and haven't gone away completely because I keep re-aggravating my knee.

I suggest you get a referral to a physical therapist from your doctor and work closely with them.
  • caitlynd5
    caitlynd5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently undergoing treatment for cartilage damage and more pressingly, that one of my knee caps is maltracking. I'm currently with a physiotherapist who is helping me to do exercises that should build strength in the knee to prevent the knee cap from moving and also moves to strengthen the leg above it so that the knee takes less strain on itself alone. Could seeing a physio be an option for you to receive some specific advice and movements?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Practicing doing pistol squats at a smaller range of motion and increasing the ROM gradually or using assistance while strength training squats would allow you to do pistol squats eventually.

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Might want to try bulgarian split squats (very similar movement at least for practicing unilateral training & working on depth) and practicing pistol squats using a smith machine or TRX for assistance. Not sure why you want to do pistol squats other than improving balance (limited ability to overload this exercise vs. say squats).

Very important to balance the hips over your center of gravity when doing a pistol squat (requires counter balance, planted foot should be roughly center of hips)