What Running App gives you distances as you run?

Options
Can someone point me towards a Running App that gives you distances as you run?

I'd like to have something that will let me listen to music and still give a distance indicator - e.g. 1km... 2km... as I'm running without having to look at the screen.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nike did last time I checked.
  • Horndave22
    Horndave22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use Vi. Gives you distance and pace and lets you listen to your music.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper does this.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun announces when you reach each mile, and tells you what your pace was for that mile. It also accumulates miles and tells you what your total time is and what your split pace is. You can listen to other apps while it runs and it just interupts for a moment to tell you you've reached another mile.
  • HenryFool
    HenryFool Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks - Vi looks good but I don't really want another monthly subscription, I don't mind paying for an app, but these monthly subscriptions add up!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I just checked and you can change the setting in MapMyRun to KM instead of miles.
  • HenryFool
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Forerunner does this, and more.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    MapMyFitness will give you many exercises that can sync to MFP. I use it when I walk/jog; it has GPS to track the route, elevation change, calorie estimate, and of course distance.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I really like Runkeeper -- and it's free unless you want the premium version. You get mile-by-mile splits, with a comparison of your current MPH pace over the previous, as well as the overall pace. Also will give you total elevation, after you finish the run.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Runtastic does as well.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure strava does too but I've never used that feature
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun does this, and is free, and allows you to change notifications between 0.1 of a mile or every 10 miles. I like updates every mile for shorter runs and every 5 for longer. :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Strava's estimate of elevation gain I've always found pretty bad, when looking at their own elevation profile.

I've sat there and looked at a 1 mile segment that had 3 decent hills, and added up the total elevation I went from valley to top, and it was easily 50% more than what they gave for the whole 3 miles done that included other hills.

I started doing a bike ride too, but after 2 hills could see they were way off too.

Now I'm curious to look at Garmin's estimate.

Pretty cool with MMR - didn't realize you could get audible.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Most of them do, most have a free option.

I like Runkeeper.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    runkeeper does and my garmin vivoactive does as well
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper because it talks to me and gives me all my stats (distance, pace, time, HR, etc.) while I’m running.

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike app. It’s free. It’s announces each mile I hit and I can set a goal distance for a run and it will tell me when I’ve hit my half way point.
  • HenryFool
    Options
    Thanks - these are really helpful, I'll check them all, I'm a real stickler for user experience in mobile apps, so the best interface always wins out for me :)