Why did i gain on keto

Options
I started my diet a week ago .. Immediately I lost 4 lbs been doing the keto diet., woke up this morning and scale says I gained 2 lbs back. However ive been watching my calpries and eating little little carbs., what am I doing wrong,

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    It's just water... weight can fluctuate by several pounds a day. Just watch the trend (weight values over time) and make sure they are going the way that you want them to go.
  • cwithey93
    cwithey93 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    It's just water... weight can fluctuate by several pounds a day. Just watch the trend (weight values over time) and make sure they are going the way that you want them to go.

Thank you in just hoping,they dont stick around. Its,discouraging
  • Cathycatlady
    Cathycatlady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and don't be discouraged. I'm 3 months in on Keto and my weight was very up and down in the beginning, but in the long run it's down. I also keep a rough watch on calories too, because high fat/protein plus low carbs can be quite high in cals. Good luck!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    karenlong7 wrote: »
    Keto dieting has a lot of ups and downs due to water retention. Your best bet is to supplement sodium and magnesium to keep your electrolytes balanced. It will help you avoid the "keto flu" as well. Some people respond by gaining water weight when they eat dairy or nuts, so watch how your body responds when you eat them. The good thing about Keto is you will have "whooshes" of rapid weight loss, followed by a slowing down or even a gain. I've lost 149 pounds in the last 11 months eating a low carb, higher protien, and moderate fat ketogenic diet. I also intermittent fast 18/6 or OMAD... depending on my hunger. It is not the typical very high fat Keto like many eat. (I keep my net carbs under 20g, fat between 50 and 75g, and protein between 100 and 125g a day. I'm 5'5" if that helps.)

... that’s only about a thousand calories.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's just water. My first week doing low carb I lost 4 pounds, and the next week I was up for most of the week and then had a sudden and quick loss the morning of my weigh in. I'm convinced it was my body flushing out all the water it was retaining in that second week. Some weeks I'll have a gain (such as this week - I was up 1.5 pounds) and other weeks I'll be down 3-4 pounds. But I don't concern myself with the gains anymore because OVER ALL since mid-September I'm down 17 pounds, which is a win (although I did freak out in Week 2 when I looked like I was going to record a gain).