Cleaning as Exercise

Options
Alright, so I've seen this topic a LOT on the MFP forums. Usually, I'm against the idea as counting cleaning as exercising. Today, however, I came up with this idea:

Speed cleaning. Instead of walking around the house, calmly putting things away, I'm jogging or sprinting. When I have to go up the stairs, I run, pulling my knees to my chest. My heart rate has thus far stayed around 150, and I think I can now legitimately consider this a cardio workout out. Thoughts? Other ideas? I'll post my time & total calories burnt when I'm done!

*Laundry: When sorting laundry, do squats: Dump everything out into a big pile in front of you. Squat & pick up as many articles of clothing as you can. Toss them into the correct pile (For me it's whites, darks, colors, pants & military garb) then return to starting position. Repeat the process until all the clothes have been sorted!
*Laundry #2: When folding laundry, fold it on your bed. Do a deep squat while you fold an article of clothing. Return to start before grabbing the next item!
*Laundry #3: Do squats while putting clothing on hangers. Hop, sprint, speed walk (do whatever you can to get that heart rate up) to the closet for each item, or every three items!
*Do everything double time. Even the smallest motions. Fast, faster, fastest!

For modified house work, I burned 388 calories in 49:41 (Wearing a FT7 HRM, trying to sustain heart rate at 150)

Replies

• SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ^The sad thing is...I'm no where near done...I just felt like it was time to take the HRM off and eat a snack!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome!! I should use that as an excuse to get a lot of housework done.
  • SithZombie
    Options
    ^_^ Thanks. I just wish I could have come up with more to add to it =\ Feeling a little smug about that!
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ^The sad thing is...I'm no where near done...I just felt like it was time to take the HRM off and eat a snack!

LMAO!! this made me smile... but I have been trying this too, I have a four month old daughter, shes the best piece of gym equipment I have come across, shes just learnt to giggle when I drop into squats holding her :) the faster I do it the louder she giggles :D
  • SithZombie
    Options
    That is too awesome! I bet it's adorable to watch and brightens your mood at that!
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I do this too. I put on my HRM and I jog in place as I put laundry on the hangers. :D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    ^_^ Thanks. I just wish I could have come up with more to add to it =\ Feeling a little smug about that!

Put a really catchy song on that you love and always gets you moving, while you do the hoovering so you can dance about at the same time?

Or you could rearrange certain rooms? One time (I didn't have a HRM then) I decided the living room was too small for all that we had in it, so I moved the extra sofa into the spare room (tight squeeze through the corridor) along with pushing my bfs 50kg disks that he had stacked up, all underneath the sofa which was very hard to do (it was pushing me backwards!) Moving the tv, the dvd case from upstairs came downstairs, all ready for when my bf got home from work to find it completely different :D

I was really sweating by the end of it, was around an hour in total, but I didn't log it, just saw it as extra I suppose since I didn't have a HRM. I'd definitely log it now though if I got bored of the new rearrangement!
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't count just straightening up here and there but when I am doing a full clean, I have counted it. I have a tri level townhouse so going up and down the stairs or vacuuming each one...my heart is up and I am sweaty.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Wow these are some great ideas! I think I've found a whole new way to clean!
  • carlenebyrd
    carlenebyrd Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I just finished 90 minutes of cleaning house with ankle weights on. I also live in a 2 story apartment, and take advantage of the steps, and leave my cleaning supplies spread throughout the house. So i will have to go up and down to get what i need. I turn it into exercise
    I will walk through every room and take out trash then walk through every room again and put stuff were it belongs then go through another time to spray down surfaces then another to dust. Same concept when i clean my floors i end up totally wore out by the end of it and burn up to 300 calories plus i get a great leg work out form the added weight and the 50 trips up and down the flight of stairs and yes i log it because if i sweat its exercise!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You may enjoy this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
    You can always do things at double time.

@carlenebyrd. It is not a good idea to wear ankle weights while walking or running, even very light ones, they can cause damage.

If you are looking to add weight use a backpack or weighted vest.

Ankle weights are intended to increase resistance while doing bodyweight leg exercises, leg lifts, kickbacks, etc.

Cheers, h.