Thanksgiving in the US

Options
So what are your strategies for managing your calorie intake (or calorie burn) on Thanksgiving?

Do you treat Thanksgiving differently than any other day?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Its one meal out of the 365 days of the year. Typically I will practice IF that day, but I eat what I want because there is no way I would be able to eat enough to gain a true pound of fat and I enjoy the delicious food that will be had. I enjoy the company I'm with because you never know if this will be the last time you get together. I get back on track the next day and avoid the scale for a few days. No stressing or guilt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I will eat a low calorie breakfast like an apple or vegetables while cooking everything. The rest of the day I will take reasonable portions, no seconds. I will drink water or unsweetened tea. I will stay active. I do log on holidays but don't worry if everything is exact. I will be eating close to maintenance calories or slightly above based on past Thanksgivings I have logged. I will eat pie for breakfast on Friday morning but otherwise eat and exercise pretty normally the rest of the week. I will weigh myself on Sunday morning following Thanksgiving as usual and not freak out. My experience the past 4 Thanksgivings of logging that doing this plan does not lead to any significant weight change for me.
    as I posted in another recent Thanksgiving thread. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707586/thanksgiving#latest
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I just eat little portions of everything.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eat small portions and plan to be at maintenance not at a deficit for a few days
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am eating ALL THE THINGZ. Same for Christmas day and my birthday. Then back to weighing and logging on the other 362 days of the year.

^^^ This! Though I throw in my anniversary in my list too. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthday, Anniversary day... I eat whatever I want without worry. CAUSE I'MMA HAVE ME SOME YUMMIES.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    None, I will pig out.
  • tharpel
    tharpel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My family and I are running a 5k turkey trot in the morning so we can eat without the guilt. I am looking forward to eating ALL the foods and having some wine, it is a holiday after all!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am eating ALL THE THINGZ. Same for Christmas day and my birthday. Then back to weighing and logging on the other 362 days of the year.

^^^ This! Though I throw in my anniversary in my list too. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthday, Anniversary day... I eat whatever I want without worry. CAUSE I'MMA HAVE ME SOME YUMMIES.

^ This!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I eat as much as I want, it's one day. (well actually I'm sure it'll be a few days with all the leftovers lol)
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    We don't have Thanksgiving here in the UK......It's Christmas day that's the problem for us....BUT..........I Wish all my fellow MFPers a Very Happy Thanksgiving! 😀👍👭💕
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My gym has a turkey burn class that morning so I will burn quite a few calories before I eat but other wise I just plan on eating whatever I feel like. ( hello second slice of chocolate pie.)
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want (within reason) on holidays and close family birthdays.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I was sharing with my wife how I’m nervous about having two big tgiving meals this weekend (my family on thurs and hers on fri) because I’ve been working hard at losing about the last 6-8 weeks and I’m having success and don’t wanna fall back Into old habits. I will probably go on a long run each Thursday and Friday mornings and have a light breakfast and then feel comfortable to eat what I want and finish with one dessert option. The things that crush me are the appetizers like cheese and crackers and chips, and then multiple dessert options and beer... gonna take some major discipline but I’m ready for the challenge