Rib cartilage popped on leg press

Options
A few days ago I was doing the leg press machine using heavy weight. I was doing 5 sets of 5. I started at 220lbs and gradually increased. On my 4th set I was at 450lbs. The first 3 pushes were fine but as my knees got to my chest and I started the push I felt a "pop" in my lower right rib cage. I was able to get the weight back to starting position but stopped after that. It didn't hurt very much when it happened but in the 2 days since it feels like I got kicked in the ribs and can barely turn over in bed. My upper body movement doesn't seem to be affected (pull muscles). I'm wondering if I should try and workout around it (I lift 3 days a week) or completely rest? I've been eating clean, taking supplements and lifting for 9 weeks now and don't want to stop because I'm seeing very good results!! Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Replies

• drcathyc81
    drcathyc81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to get it checked by a doc and take his/her advice.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You may have broke a rib.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Ouch. I did something similar in May. I just rested it. . . kind of had to - it hurt!

I didn't go to the doctor. :no_mouth:
  • DrummerGavin
    DrummerGavin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just think it's weird that I popped a rib with an leg exercise where I'm laying down essentially.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just think it's weird that I popped a rib with an leg exercise where I'm laying down essentially.

Ok....

See a doctor
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    Even if I did break a rib (I really thing it's the cartilage) I'm pretty sure there's nothing a doctor can do. I think I'll just rest it a few days. Thanks for everyone's response!!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's similar but I had costochondritis, an inflammation of the rib cartilage due to labored breathing during a kidney stone episode. My doctor said it could take 4-8 weeks to heal and it would cycle from feeling better to feeling worse back and forth many times before it finally healed itself. He was spot on about that. He also said it was ok for me to keep running but I was told do not do any upper body workouts, no arm stuff, and especially no weights! until he saw me for a follow-up. I recommend to go get seen by a doctor and find out for sure so you don't end up with a chronic injury, which costochondritis for example, could indeed turn into.
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    Update: so I ended up having to take 1 1/2 weeks off but was finally able to get back in the gym today and had a great workout. I couldn't do crunches though. Ribs are back to about 80%. I tried last Wednesday and couldn't lift 1/2 of my normal program lifts (push or pull). After 15 minutes I left pretty down and frustrated. After 10 weeks of eating clean and lifting 3 days a week I really missed it. The gym has turned into my meditation time. It's great to be back!!!
  • edwardvb
    edwardvb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DrummerGavin - I experienced the same thing last week! I had an x-ray and learned nothing was broken. The doctor said I could have sprained my ribs. It's very painful, especially when trying to sleep. I plan to take it easy for a week or two until I feel better, or at least have less pain. I have been in a workout routine and sad that it has to be interrupted due to injury but I think it's the smart thing to do.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    This thread is a bit old and I certainly hope the OP has healed.

I had sore ribs all of last year and kept aggravating them when I'd sweep at curling. My physio guy told me it was probably related to my torn rotator cuf and I was compensating. Ribs hurt a lot. It's really best to get them checked since it could be something else
  • usnavywolf
    usnavywolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is very little information on this type of injury, however recently I was on the leg press and experienced nearly the same thing.

I am a runner. I have recently been running a standard 5k monday-friday and rolling into some type of weighted exercise routine afterwards. Two weeks ago the gym was packed and the only machine open was the leg press (something I have very little experience on, though have used before). I started with 1 plate on each side and did a set of 10. I was going all the way down, as you would in a full range of motion squat and back up. This is where I made my critical mistake. I continued to add weight. 2 plates on each side for a set of 10. 3 plates on each side of 10. I was happy at this weight, however the guy next to me put 4 plates on each side and I figured I could do the same for at least 6-8 reps. Another mistake... don’t compete with the guy next to you...

I went down slow and controlled, however I must have been allowing my legs to “rest” on my lower (floating) ribs before exploding up. Once I got to the bottom of my first rep, with 360lbs on the press, I felt my right side cave in followed by two loud cracks. I pushed the weight up and immediately asked to be checked out by staff.

My body was in shock, but the mind was calm. Ended up spending 6 hours in the ER and getting x-rays done. They came back inconclusive because of the location, but I did get a morphine prescription (that I didn’t end up taking). Not sure what the actual damage was, whether cartilage, fracture, or break, but the pain has been terrible. There wasn’t really any good position to sleep in and I would wake up if I rolled to that side.

The next day I attempted to run and it was excruciating. If I breathed the wrong way, landed the wrong way, or put any speed into my run I would almost topple over. Unfortunately I am the type of person who refuses to quit and sees pain as a conquerable obstacle. I ended up running the full 5k (at a 10 min/mile pace), but then decided to wait until I healed a bit more before running again. 2 weeks later I can now finally run.

I know I will need to face the leg press again in order to get any “fear” out of my psyche, but I will definitely have better form. It wasn’t until after this incident did I learn that you should only go to about 90 degrees.

KEEP YOUR LEGS AWAY FROM YOUR RIBS!
  • ryangerman4700
    ryangerman4700 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Well I just joined the club today. Lower right floating rib popped on the same lift. Gonna follow the advice and take it easy for a week or so.
  • MatthewAndersonCA
    MatthewAndersonCA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, but was on back workout machine where you put your chest against a pad reach forward, grab the handles and pull back. In that hunched curled forward position with pad push against your chest, is when it happened to me.