mental illness + motivation

Options
hi! I’m Allie, and I’m diagnosed with OCD, anxiety, and depression. how do I motivate myself when my mental illnesses keep knocking me down? I can’t rally enough to work out every day, but I want to heal and reach my goals. Any advice?

Replies

• tharpel
    tharpel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with a lot of the same issues and well as battling anorexia in my early 20’s. I found a lot of relief especially from depression/anxiety from working out. I just tell myself I know I will feel better after I am done and that helps me get out the door. Like dclement09 said even a little bit is an accomplishment. Be kind to yourself! A lot of people have even made vision boards for motivation, visual representation of your goals can be very powerful. Having a strong support system is key too!
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Even if it is just shuffling around your home or even bedroom - activity does help. But I understand this may not always be possible on the darkest days.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself and track them on paper. It really helped me get back into the gym on a more regular basis after taking over a six month hiatus due to my depression.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the best mindset that i've managed is not to think of it as motivation but a task, like brushing teeth or putting on pants to go outside.
    it's just something that needs to get done.

i've also found having a plan helps.
    if you can do groups of people, doing runs with a local groups or a partner, can help as well.

doesn't work all the time but it's helped more times than not
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Make a daily to-do list with things that you can make routine and can visually check off your list to feel accomplished. The littlest things can be the biggest things: make your bed, eat breakfast, log your meal, brush your teeth, etc. Seeing check marks on the list can make you feel like you've accomplished things throughout the day and lift you up little-by-little.

Over a period of days or weeks, once those things start to feel very routine and natural, you can start to add other things to your check list -- maybe things related more to nutrition or fitness...like make one snack today with veggies, or do 5 minutes of marching in place while watching TV. Make the new goals as simple and do-able as possible so it will be easier for you to find that little extra energy to follow-through.

Also, for me personally, I feel that turning off any TV, phone, or computer screens and then dimming the lights while I listen to calming music as I get ready for bed helps my mind wander away from anxious thoughts and helps me drift off to sleep easier. I usually start avoiding screens about an hour or two before bed. Getting a good night's rest can make such a big difference.

I hope you find what works for you!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Generally, I feel better after exercising and I try to always remember that when I'm feeling low. A couple of activities are specifically good for my mental health though:
    Swimming is extremely therapeutic for me--my mind is so occupied by making it across the pool without drowning that I have no time for getting lost in my own head.
    Walking my dog is also great because she is insanely joyful every time we go out and it's infectious; she always makes me smile no matter how low I was before we went out.

Maybe you could find an activity that has a similar effect on you, something that is therapeutic and/or actively joyful, rather just an exercise because it's time to exercise?
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    SoozeE512 wrote: »

Also, for me personally, I feel that turning off any TV, phone, or computer screens and then dimming the lights while I listen to calming music as I get ready for bed helps my mind wander away from anxious thoughts and helps me drift off to sleep easier. I usually start avoiding screens about an hour or two before bed. Getting a good night's rest can make such a big difference.

I hope you find what works for you!

This has made a huge difference for me also! Shut down electronics and slowly unwind before bed. I enjoying reading before bed.
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have found that learning meditation was essential for me. I did many different ones at first. And listened to motivational clips, teachers , gurus etc. I made myself every morning even though I didn’t believe what I was saying do positive affirmations and there’s some great ones to listen to. I did it for months until things started to shift to a more positive outlook. Started eating better wich made a HUGE difference. I never understood when people said you feel better when you eat better until I did. It’s a process and a step at a time a negative thought comes in , replace it with 2 positive or just something to be grateful for. It helps to uplift out of the dark- just a few things that completely changed my outlook and helped me in so many ways. Hang in there and one small step at a time. Also a mental mantra maybe- this too shall pass and few deep breaths!!