Recovering from Thanksgiving

Options
What are you doing to recover from the carb fest this week? I was thinking fasting or detox Friday. Ideas?

Replies

• annlyric
    annlyric Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don’t think he was trying to instigate anything. We’re all good here.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Our Thanksgiving was last month. But I just went back to normal after, which is what I do after every weekend. If anything my regular weekends are more a carb fest than Thanksgiving was.
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    annlyric wrote: »
    I don’t think he was trying to instigate anything. We’re all good here.

Guess I am used to my keto groups on facebook. Judgemental crazies. LOL
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I’m going to enjoy it for what it is....a day out of the year where we celebrate with loved ones and eat good food. No need to fast...bad mindset imo

Totally agree!
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

You must not be from the south 😂. My mother in laws house is a carb fest of the best mac n cheese, stuffing and rolls a girl could imagine. Haha

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I sleep in and then go about my day as usual.

Personally, I don't massively overeat at the holidays. But, even if you do, there is no need to change your routine. Get back onto your regular eating habits and go on with life.

This.

It's interesting that you call it a carbfest, since if anything I see extra fat.

Turkey -- mostly protein.

Mashed potatoes with butter -- yes, a starch, but unless I eat a crazy amount no more than at a normal dinner for me, but with more added fat than usual.

My sister's take on broccoli and cauliflower with cream cheese and parm -- vegetables spruced up with extra fat

My brussels with pancetta -- again, veg that are different due to added fat

Possible "fancy green beans" with slivered almonds, mushrooms, and dill, in garlic and olive oil -- again, added fat

Probably won't do creamed spinach this year, but same. (Although I found a creamed spinach with butternut squash recipe I might decide to try.)

Then. of course, desserts, but those are fat as much as carbs (this is where I'm putting my cranberries this year, in addition to apples and, of course, pumpkin).

I guess stuffing isn't a big thing in my house. I used to do it, but no one cared and I don't have a particularly large gathering these days, so probably won't.

Someone will bring rolls, but I usually don't eat them.

Anyway, I'll have leftovers, but so long as I'm not left with huge amounts of dessert (just enough for Friday breakfast and maybe another serving over the weekend), most of it can be easily made into normal-sized and calorie meals.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I sleep in and then go about my day as usual.

Personally, I don't massively overeat at the holidays. But, even if you do, there is no need to change your routine. Get back onto your regular eating habits and go on with life.

This.

It's interesting that you call it a carbfest, since if anything I see extra fat.

Turkey -- mostly protein.

Mashed potatoes with butter -- yes, a starch, but unless I eat a crazy amount no more than at a normal dinner for me, but with more added fat than usual.

My sister's take on broccoli and cauliflower with cream cheese and parm -- vegetables spruced up with extra fat

My brussels with pancetta -- again, veg that are different due to added fat

Possible "fancy green beans" with slivered almonds, mushrooms, and dill, in garlic and olive oil -- again, added fat

Probably won't do creamed spinach this year, but same. (Although I found a creamed spinach with butternut squash recipe I might decide to try.)

Then. of course, desserts, but those are fat as much as carbs (this is where I'm putting my cranberries this year, in addition to apples and, of course, pumpkin).

I guess stuffing isn't a big thing in my house. I used to do it, but no one cared and I don't have a particularly large gathering these days, so probably won't.

Someone will bring rolls, but I usually don't eat them.

Anyway, I'll have leftovers, but so long as I'm not left with huge amounts of dessert (just enough for Friday breakfast and maybe another serving over the weekend), most of it can be easily made into normal-sized and calorie meals.

Can I eat at your house? Cause I'm a diabetic and my family is all about the carbs. We have rolls, cornbread, actual corn, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, cranberry sauce, and about four kinds of pie: pumpkin, pecan, chess, and chocolate silk. Apart from the turkey itself, the green beans, and a salad I usually bring but can't this year unless I can find lettuce which isn't romaine, everything is too carby for me to eat safely.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to recover from the carb fest this week? I was thinking fasting or detox Friday. Ideas?

I don't detox after, I run and lift weights before, which improves my glucose tolerance. I estimate it would take about a marathon to run off my family's food so I also carefully moderate my carbs even at Thanksgiving.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I expect a couple pounds of water weight mostly from higher sodium. I eat 50% carbs anyway.

Either way, it'll go away when it's supposed to so just normal sailing for me.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Nope, no special recovery. I’m just going to go back to my logging and exercising. I will do a run that morning but every Thursday is a run day for me so that’s not really anything special.