Introduction: The War of "Skinny Fat"

Options
Every 90 days significant events happen. Seasons change, warrantees end, quarters for colleges on the quarter system end, and I stop exercising. It's really disheartening. I'll start off great. Then at the first month, "life" happens. I'm in grad school to become a clinical psychologist and my coursework, along with internship, leave me with no "juice" at the end of the day. I used to wake up early to study or workout, usually both. My main issue is consistency. I always did well when I did programs with friends and I'm hoping to do the same here. I'm 43 years old (I went back to school rather late), I live in Koreatown Los Angeles, and my goal is to stay consistent with taking care of my health. I had 3 stents placed into my heart 2 years ago, but I haven't had much luck with sticking to an eating plan... even after getting freaked out about my health! My whole life, I've been described as "skinny fat," where I was never overweight, and I wasn't living very healthy because of it.

I would love to find and give support to someone who just needs to stay on it. When I haven't checked in for a few days, you're checking in on me (of course I will support you in ways you need it too), reminding me that I need to get off my tuchus and pursue my fitness goals.

let me know what you need and I'll do my best to return the favor!

With gratitude,
E.J.

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Accountability and motivation can be great for anyone who is seeking to better themselves. These fourms can be a great source of information and support.

Most everyone here will tell you that you just need to start logging everything. Everyday. Weigh what you eat and log it. Stay under your calorie max. You'll lose the weight. Eat what you like...just less of it. Don't overthink it and take it one day at a time. I'm a grad school student as well and I work full time while balancing a home/family life. It can be done but YOU have to find the time and the motivation.

I'll ask a tough question - what would you tell a future patient if they were in the same boat as you are? Your offer to help someone else is a kind one. Ultimately, it is going to be you who has to do the work to get where you want to be. Do you have a specific goal, one that you can reward yourself for when you reach it? Your goal to stay consistent is a good start but be more specific. I'm sure you have heard of SMART in your studies. Set a goal that specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely. Maybe you want to lower your body fat by 10% by March 1. You could set a goal like committing to logging and weighing your food every single day for 60 days.

Good luck to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    "Most everyone here will tell you that you just need to start logging everything. Everyday. Weigh what you eat and log it. Stay under your calorie max. You'll lose the weight. Eat what you like...just less of it. "

This^^ Exactly this. It took me a few starts and stops before I got consistent with my logging. I don't berate myself if I go over my allotment, but I take note of it and try to do better the next day. I have logged consistently and *truthfully* for 1,089 days now. It's just a habit. My family makes fun of me while we're on vacation and I'm still logging my intake. Sometimes I don't know exactly, so I make my best guess based on what's in the database. There was a day on vacation where I logged over 1,000 calories over my daily calorie allotment. You know what? That was ok. Over the next couple of weeks, I worked it off and simply ate different foods (higher protein!) to get back on track.

Even if you waver, stay consistent with your logging, try your best to stick to your calorie limit. Mine is only 1335 without deliberate exercise, so no excuses there - if you're still hungry, think about the *kinds* of food you are eating. Proteins help you stay full for longer, but different proteins have different calories. I tend to eat more egg whites than yolks simply because I get more protein with fewer calories that way. Ribs taste fantastic, but you're paying for it with higher calories than a chicken breast. It's all about choices and consistency.

You can DO THIS THING!
  • MusterQ
    MusterQ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had 3 stents placed into my heart 2 years ago, but I haven't had much luck with sticking to an eating plan...
    Sorry bud, but sticking to a plan is about hard work, not luck.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For "skinny fat" your best bet is a lifting program. Look into recomp. You don't say if you have weight to lose. If you do, the previous posters are spot on. You need to make good habits. That's what you're missing and no amount of controlling by another will change that. Heal thyself.