how far wrong am i going here?

just compleated my food diary/exersise for the day
im on a 1200 calorie diet at the moment,
but did also 600caloire workout before.
but have only eaten 1165 for the whole day .
at the moment this is the normal amount.

in MFP i put in my weight and height and said i would like to loose 2lbs per week and it said 1200 a day ?

i was awake late today , and i have had protein shakes which stops hunger.

i not feel hungery at all , but with this amount of deficit , will it harm me ?

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Yes it will, you should never drop below a net total of 1200
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Say goodbye to your muscle D:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Actually, if you're a guy, 1200 is still too low - I think it's 1500-1800 for a guy? Someone smarter than I am should weigh in here.

But yes, do eat your exercise calories back or your body will not want to release weight.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member

He is a guy... needs way more then 1200...
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33

I have a similar problem to you. My net total is ALWAYS sufficiently below my daily goal and it drives me nuts. I want to meet my net total goal, but I'm never hungry enough to make up for the deficit. Do you force it or what do you do?
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    It won't cause any permanent damage, no. Try not to make a habit of it. Your calories over time are more important than every single day being exactly on. Eat a little more tomorrow. Relax.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    especiallly if you want bulk and muscle, eat more than 1200 thats the baseline of starvation mode
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    eat a banana apple something not hard to get over 1200 when your that close.
  • Amo_Angelus
    I never said 1200 was healthy, just that he should never drop below it
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    An isolated incident that happened one day? Don't sweat it.
    Something that happens all the time? Take a look at your routine and make changes. You probably want to be netting somewhere in the ballpark of 1800 calories/day for weight loss.

1200 is the recommended bare minimum for tiny women.. For men the bare minimum is 1500. Most people (men and women) will require significantly more than that bare minimum. Yes, even for weight loss.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    One day is not going to cause a problem but continuously eating that little will definitely hurt you. 1200 for a guy is far too low, unless you're about 5 feet tall. Try using MFP again to set your goals. It should be giving you a lot more calories than 1200 if you're going for a 1 pound per week loss.
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    I try to stay between 1500 and 1800 but I may be wrong.....guess I'll find out through trial and error.
  • Amo_Angelus

I have a similar problem to you. My net total is ALWAYS sufficiently below my daily goal and it drives me nuts. I want to meet my net total goal, but I'm never hungry enough to make up for the deficit. Do you force it or what do you do?

You don't have to eat more, just higher calorie foods
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Its not going to kill you overnight, or even cause damage over a week or so, but over time it would probably mean you weren't getting adequate nutrients and lead to muscle wastage and micronutrient deficiencies. So try and not make it a regular thing, but don;t panic!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Ummm, potentially. That's something you should discuss with your dr but I will say this: I, as a 5'6" woman have a BMR of over 1450 cals a day and have been warned against consuming fewer than 1200 cals therefore I would think that you, as a guy, should probably be eating more than I would. I would HIGHLY recommend talking to a dr or a nutritionalist about your caloric intake but in the meantime I think it would behoove you to consume at least your BMR - 200 cals, before adding in your exercise cals.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    You should go ahead and choke down one of those shakes. Remember, you're in this for the long run, so don't do things that might cause problems.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    When I'm not hungry but it's looking like I'm going to be under for the day I have something really calorie dense like nuts. A small handful can be like 2-300 calories. Also packed with good fats and vitamins. Just a thought!
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    It won't cause any permanent damage, no. Try not to make a habit of it. Your calories over time are more important than every single day being exactly on. Eat a little more tomorrow. Relax.

I absolutely agree. Once in a while is ok. Try to do better tomorrow.
    Every day is a new day to make the chages you want to make and SEE the changes you want to see!
  • You will harm yourself longterm; however, short term it is rather meaningless. There have been some good suggestions in everyone's response to you.

1. Men need to eat 1600 to 1800 calories usually (unless your are very small) and eat your "total calories burned" too.
    2. Eat a Fat, Carb, Protein balanced diet.
    3. Eat two Fat/Carb/Protein balanced snacks per day: a few nuts, some cottage cheese/cheese/low fat yogurt and fruit to easily increase your calories and do this in a balanced way: 8 almonds, 1 cheese stick, and a cup of blueberries. Always eat a little fat with carbs for maximum weight loss and muscle maintenance.