GAINING WEIGHT

Options
Hello...am 23yrs height 5, 47kg, I really need to gain weight, I have no appetite, what do I do

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you been to a doctor to talk about why you have no appetite? (to make sure it isn't a health issue) - toherwise you just may need to force yourself to eat
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What do you eat now? Do you cook for yourself? Do you have food restrictions?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You are a reasonable weight for your height at the lower end of your BMI range.
    How much weight are you wanting to gain?
    Have you always had no appetite, or is this recent.

If you are not wanting to eat, drink milk or a smoothie.

If you are filling yourself up with low cal foods, switch to some calorie dense foods. Switch low fat dairy to ful fat, a little extra oil in your cooking, etc.

If you are looking to gain, make sure you are doing some resistance/weight lifting to help with body composition.

Cheers, h.
  • Matarts
    Matarts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Middlehaitch....at least 60kg.. this happen recently, I have checked with Doctor nothing wrong, I even don't know why
  • Matarts
    Matarts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mreichard..No i don't have food restrictions..I don't cook for my self, I eat but a little, and if I force to eat more I can vomit
  • jm3xox
    jm3xox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.. I am technically a very healthy BMI at 20.8. Weighing 110 pounds at 5'1" tall 24 yr old female. I think BMI is very gray area though. It doesn't calculate muscle vs fat mass. "Technically" I am very healthy, but I have always stayed in the 120-125 athletic weight area until starting a new medication (a stimulant). So now I look anorexic to family and friends. I LOOKED and FELT healthy before. People who tell you to just force yourself to eat probably haven't dealt with this struggle. I get so incredibly full from very small amount and most of the time I'm not hungry until I'm starving. If I try to eat more, I feel nauseas. It's difficult. I also suffer from IBS which doesn't help. I just ordered a mass gainer called Transparent Labs Mass Gainer. It's a clean weight gainer, kind of on the expensive side, but my body won't tolerate junk like Syntha Six.
    So I am just now starting this journey back to weight gain. I need 2300 cals a day roughly. My intake right now is an average of 500-800. Maybe more if I eat pizza that day lol.
    Buy a weight gainer, start with a small container to see how your body tolerates it. Eat as much as comfortable at each meal(high carb, high healthy fat meals) and in between meals, for your "snacks", consume a high carb, high protein, high calorie weight gainer mixed with whole milk. This is my plan and I'm hoping to consume enough calories to where I can begin weight lifting again. Good luck! You're not alone!
  • JolieTash
    JolieTash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat peanut butter with your oatmeal each morning and a banana everyday that’s almost 500 for 1 meal you will pick up on weight
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you like peanut butter or trail mix? My hubby used to make trail mix with peanuts, raisins, m&Ms, sometimes granola or pretzel pieces. It was in a big jar on the counter, and we could just snack on it whenever. Guess what? We both put on weight. It is yummy and doesn't feel super filling. I also really like crunchy peanut butter and just eat straight out of the jar with a baby spoon. Try to make higher calorie choices, fattier/dark meats, whole fat dairy, butter and oils, avocado, etc...so you get more calories without feeling extra full. Also eat things you like, it makes it easier to get the food in. Ice cream, dried fruit, cream soups, pasta dishes?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Matarts wrote: »
    Mreichard..No i don't have food restrictions..I don't cook for my self, I eat but a little, and if I force to eat more I can vomit

I can understand how incredibly hard it can be to "force" yourself to eat more than your appetite will allow. I've run into that same problem deep into my bulks. The trick for me isn't trying to force a lot of food down past my comfort zone - it's eating a little past that comfort zone every meal... but not to the point of extreme nausea. It's also helpful to schedule in small snacks or maybe a high calorie smoothie shake between the larger meals and if that's impacting how much you eat later - get them in right before bed. Also, as others have mentioned - stay away from high volume foods that aren't calorie dense. You would be surprised how many calories you can pack in if you eliminate those high volume items. Also, try to limit your consumption of liquids (even if it's something like milk or another fairly high calorie drink) until after you've eaten your solids... but it really does require looking past things like "appetite" and treating eating more like a task or job.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Matarts wrote: »

That sounds like the doctor you spoke to missed something. I would strongly suggest seeking another professional opinion.