Running shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Replace every 6 months or so . I have washed if they get extremely dirty . I just ensure all inserts are removed first
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,815 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i use my garmin to track my mileage and i replace them between 300-600 miles. different shoes last longer than others. i know when my shins start to hurt, it's time for me to replace them. saucony i get about 300, brooks 500

Oh - I thought I was the ONLY ONE whose shins started to hurt when their shoes were wearing out!! Honestly I don't even track the mileage anymore as I just use the ole "shin" or something else starts hurting gage. Nice to always be able to blame the shoe too.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    washing them?

yeah, I have......

Just take out the insoles, wash in cold water, then only air dry (with cedar shoe trees) to maintain their shape.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i use my garmin to track my mileage and i replace them between 300-600 miles. different shoes last longer than others. i know when my shins start to hurt, it's time for me to replace them. saucony i get about 300, brooks 500

Oh - I thought I was the ONLY ONE whose shins started to hurt when their shoes were wearing out!! Honestly I don't even track the mileage anymore as I just use the ole "shin" or something else starts hurting gage. Nice to always be able to blame the shoe too.

Same here. I do track the mileage but go more by am I getting shin splints then anything.

Means I have to have a pair ready to go, but I pick them up when a sale comes up regardless.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I normally break down and replace mine when the midsole foam starts rubbing onto the treadmill and my heels start hurting after a 5 mile run. Realistically, that usually works out to 2-3 pairs of shoes (I wear Brooks Ghost 10s) for a year.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the cushioning begins degrading significantly around 300-400 miles, so I try to change them around that mileage. I don't wash conventional running shoes but I have washed trail running shoes.

That may be true or it could be what they want us to think. I can't decide! Consumer reports should do a test.

Anyway, I've kept running shoes much longer and I can't really tell the difference. Some of my miles are on the treadmill and that is definitely easier on them.