Any Brussel Sprout Recipes you've tried and Love???

Options
Hi. I need a great Thanksgiving recipe for Brussel Sprouts. I have found so many on Allrecipes.com that I'm now confused. Many with bacon or onion (or both) look pretty good. But the choices are endless. Roast, sautee, simmer in chicken broth, cover in mozzerella cheese, bacon & onions. Whole. cut in half and browned in skillet. What is the best you've tried?

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    The best I've tried and love which was easy enough to prepare, was an oven-roasted balsamic brussel sprouts variation and I do like them halved too.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't have any specific recipe, but generally I think halved and roasted is the best way, regardless of what you put on them or with them :smiley:

I'm in agreement that halved and roasted is delicious. I will roast mine with olive oil, cubed potatoes, and parmesan cheese.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what everyone above me said.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Yes, I roast them (or toss them in my Actifry) with a little olive oil, lots of lemon, garlic, salt and pepper, then finish them with a bit of white truffle oil and sometimes a few shavings of good Parmesan or similar cheese after they come out.
  • k8eekins
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Yes, I roast them (or toss them in my Actifry) with a little olive oil, lots of lemon, garlic, salt and pepper, then finish them with a bit of white truffle oil and sometimes a few shavings of good Parmesan or similar cheese after they come out.

Game-changer right there with the white truffle oil .. Yum

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I like roasting over steaming for the reason that i am less likely to end up with a steamed mush-ball.
    something about roasting allows them to soften while retaining some textural interest.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »

I love the stuff and would probably drink it, I don't care what food snobs have to say about it. I do buy actual truffle occasionally and will shave it onto things for special meals, but day-to-day I'm totally happy with the oil for stuff like this. I use it for vegetables, to finish some pasta dishes, and (my favourite) to dress arugula (with lemon, again) for proscuitto and arugula pizza.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't have any specific recipe, but generally I think halved and roasted is the best way,

That's my favorite too.

I would not put cheese on them. People put cheese on everything, it seems like, and as a nonmember of the "cheese is life!" club, it gets really old. (I realize that I am not attending your meal and really have no vote on your holiday dinner :blush: .)
  • k8eekins
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »

I love the stuff and would probably drink it, I don't care what food snobs have to say about it. I do buy actual truffle occasionally and will shave it onto things for special meals, but day-to-day I'm totally happy with the oil for stuff like this. I use it for vegetables, to finish some pasta dishes, and (my favourite) to dress arugula (with lemon, again) for proscuitto and arugula pizza.

Many around me wouldn't know either way. Am not a major cook in the kitchen, so I don't care for what food snobs think either. I'd loved using the truffle oil to drizzle on baked root vegetable varieties and on salads mostly.
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Roasted with dried cranberries
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My friend is test-driving this recipe this year. The sprouts are not roasted, and it is extremely caloric for a vegetable dish, but I wanted to toss it out there:

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Creamy-Brussel-Sprouts-Au-Gratin-1493202
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Halved and roasted is my standby.

For Thanksgiving I've panfried them with bacon and garlic, which is popular.

This year I'm trying something inspired by this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-garlic-and-pancetta-104566
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I shred them and sauté them with some bacon. I’m clearly in the minority but I’m not a fan of them halved and roasted.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Halved and roasted with oil, paprika, garlic and lemon.

Then finished on the stove, sautéed with bacon and salt and pepper.

I've learned that you need to A. use enough fat and B. cook them long enough. Try letting them sit in the olive oil, paprika, garlic and lemon juice for about an hour. Then roast, then pan saute.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,850 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks so much everyone for the recipes and experiences. I guess roasted is the most popular way to go. I think I like the idea of adding walnuts. I also like the idea of marinating them before roasting. I will be combining a few of these ideas for my best brussel sprouts yet! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks so much everyone for the recipes and experiences. I guess roasted is the most popular way to go. I think I like the idea of adding walnuts. I also like the idea of marinating them before roasting. I will be combining a few of these ideas for my best brussel sprouts yet! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

BTW, I have had them flat side up and down and that changes them quite a bit. Either way, I brush or spray the flat side with olive oil. Flat side down they have a crisp surface and are still more like steamed inside. Flat side up they are drier than steamed but not too dry and if you drizzle flavored oil, more of the flavor is retained. I like them both ways as well as steamed. I have shredded them in the food processor and have them in salad and slaw also. I have even enjoyed them raw, popping small (rinsed) ones right into my mouth.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Well it's a bit late now but I roasted mine and tossed them with some roasted sweet potatoes, toasted pecans and dried cranberries and a bit of cinnamon.