Meal replacement shakes

Options
Does anyone do this? Like a shake in the morning, and is it healthy? What brand do you recommend? I've been looking at "the ultimate meal" it looks like it has everything lol. I usually end up skipping breakfast bc I don't like eating in the morning, so I thought I would give this a try

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've drank them. Partially because they are quick and easy, partially because they are better for my sweet tooth than other sweets, and partially for the vitamins and minerals (I'm an EXTREMELY picky eater, so my diet is very un-balanced).

I've used slimfast, myoplex and muscle milk shakes. I also make my own. Making my own are generally healthier and higher calorie, but the pre-made ones are way easier as I'm running out the door. I can also leave a few in the office fridge for emergencies.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy depends on the ingredients label and your overall nutrition for the day.

My personal philosophy is to eat at least 3 real-food meals a day, and then supplement with as many shakes as needed to make up the remainder of my nutritional goals, depending on how busy or not-busy my day is. (less busy = more real food).

My current "meal replacement" of choice is some "natural" chocolate whey protein mixed with oat flour.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I make my own shakes usually for lunch.

1/2 cup Light and fit vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup Mott's all natural no sugar added applesauce
    1 scoop GNC Pro performance Amp protein powder
    1 cup frozen fruit of choice

If it's too thick I add a splash of water, all for only 247 calories and with 25g of protein :D it's a HUGE shake too and very filling
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I can feel the Shakeology sharks circling... watch out for PMs!

Oh no!!! No shakeology! I didn't mean for that to happen!
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I personally can not do these! Liquids do not fill me up. Some people say they feel full after but I don't and I get hungry sooner than if I had eaten the same amount of calories in solid food. The ones I have tried are around 300-400 calories and Im starving like an hour or so later. I have tried several and there are people that would say that I have not tried the right one but to me it's not worth it. I can eat a turkey sandwich and a piece of fruit for the same calories or less and feel fuller longer. If It's a time thing make your food the night before. I like hard boiled egg whites to (only 17 cals each!) I boil 5-6 a day and eat 1 or 2 whenever I want a little snack to munch. But the only way for you to know is to just try it yourself and see if it works for you. I have heard that ones with high protein work better for people than others....but like I said, not me
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both use meal replacement shakes due to our busy schedules.

Definitely agree that you should watch the ingredients. The more things you understand on the label the better.

Someone just forwarded this to me in reference to the same question. Hopefully it helps you in your quest.

http://www.foodfacts.com/public/products.cfm?category=20&sub=321&subsub=1821
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The one I'm looking at you add a banana and apple, water, and a scoop of the powder. It's organic and vegan and has everything in it and nothing artificial.and u can add whatever u want to it or just drink the water and powder.

So something like this would be healthy for me? I'm not looking for a quick fix or a weight loss shake
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've never been someone who is hungry for breakfast in the mornings, so I do the Safeway brand french vanilla shakes after my morning workouts. They're pretty low-cal, so you may want to supplement with some fruit or something, but I REALLY love them. They aren't so thick and blech like some of the other brands I've tried. It's almost just like nonfat milk, vanilla extract, and protein powder. Perfect light breakfast to start my day!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink vi shape nutritional milkshakes twice a day for breakfast and pm snack!  They are packed with nutrition but only have 90 calories, 1 fat, 7 carbs, 1 sugar.  I mix mine in a blender with milk, juice, or coffee,  ice and cocoa powder or peanut butter. Oh so yummy!!!
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    birdie0929 said:
    "The one I'm looking at you add a banana and apple, water, and a scoop of the powder. It's organic and vegan and has everything in it and nothing artificial.and u can add whatever u want to it or just drink the water and powder.

So something like this would be healthy for me? I'm not looking for a quick fix or a weight loss shake."

That sounds like it would work. I also use a similar powder. It's Genisoy Soy Protein Powder, unflavored, made from non-GMO soy, no carbs, no sugars, 25 grams of protein per serving. The unflavored variety is the most versatile, I think. I usually add 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, the powder, milk, splenda, and a couple of ice cubes...blend, enjoy. Fills me up, it's healthy and tastes great.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can feel the Shakeology sharks circling... watch out for PMs!

LOL! So true! I'm not a shark (I suck at sales), but I do drink Shakeology.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Ideal Shape Shakes (www.idealshape.com) and also search "meal replacement shake reviews"
    they are great! no sales pitch or whatever, so they arent as popular or well known because its not a money maker for the consumer like Vi or others. They are tasty and you can use milk, water, etc. i use amlond milk.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I make my own meal replacement shakes every morning using Jay Robb protein powder. I prefer powder to pre made shakes because I can control what goes in it. usually the pre made stuff has more sugar and carbs. The powder had no sugar and only 1 g carbs and 25 gs of protein. I use unsweetened almond milk and peanut butter. Sometimes I also add spinach or blueberries. They usually come out around 350 cals and it fills me up for 3-4 hours.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Ideal Shape Shakes (www.idealshape.com) and also search "meal replacement shake reviews"
    they are great! no sales pitch or whatever, so they arent as popular or well known because its not a money maker for the consumer like Vi or others. They are tasty and you can use milk, water, etc. i use amlond milk.

I just got that. It was awesome. I couldn't believe it. I tried other brands and they didn't even come close. Lets see if it curbs my appetite. Do you have snacks with it?
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options

That is the site I used and it is the cheapest way for 2 meals a day. All that healthy food was costing me much more,
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I make my own meal replacement shakes every morning using Jay Robb protein powder. I prefer powder to pre made shakes because I can control what goes in it. usually the pre made stuff has more sugar and carbs. The powder had no sugar and only 1 g carbs and 25 gs of protein. I use unsweetened almond milk and peanut butter. Sometimes I also add spinach or blueberries. They usually come out around 350 cals and it fills me up for 3-4 hours.

You make your own with these. The calories are 200 with skim milk.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Does anyone do this? Like a shake in the morning, and is it healthy? What brand do you recommend? I've been looking at "the ultimate meal" it looks like it has everything lol. I usually end up skipping breakfast bc I don't like eating in the morning, so I thought I would give this a try

I did a lot of research. Go to mealreplacements.com. I choose the Ideal Shape, bast on all the reviews. It was so awesome. Tried the Shakeology, very thick and was gross. Good luck
  • NotSoShabby
    Options
    I use Labrada's Lean Body protein shakes, they taste the best, have zero sugar, with 40g of protein.
    Jay Robb is great too, he uses Stevia as the sweetener which is great !
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    you certainly can have snacks, i dont usually between breakfast and lunch, but then i have dinner and a sensible snack most evenings. Now that i have added in workouts though i realize i need to eat a bit more calories so i will either add more fruit and such into my shakes or add fruits as snacks between my meals.