Half Marathon suggestions

Options
I am looking at doing my first half marathon in April. I have been running for about 2 years using a treadmill. I just finished an 8 week program with the Nike Run Club of “getting more fit”. My longest/last run was 6.75 at a 12’37” pace. It was a struggle towards the end, but I did it! I was going to set up the half marathon program through NRC. I have a few questions who have experience:

1. Has anyone used the Nike Run Club for half marathon training?
2. Should I set it up for 4-5 or 5-6 days a week to train?
3. Should I keep my pace the same and just focus on distance?
4. What nutrition changes, macros, calorie intake should I change MFP to?
5. I usually run on a treadmill, but this fall I realized how much I need to practice running outside if I’m going to do this. Would I be ok running outside once in the weekends? Should I set my treadmill incline to 1 or 2 to help?
6. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks! Both excited and nervous!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    How many miles a week are you currently running? If possible, gradually increase that number before you begin your race training in January or February. Easiest way to do that is to add a day of running, so if you are currently running 3 days, start running 4. Best way to do that is to keep the current number of miles, but split them between the four days, so if you are running 12, you do 4 x 3 instead of 3 x 4. After a week or two, add a mile to one of your runs. Then add a mile to another run, etc.

I haven't done Nike Run Club. The only plans I've followed were Hal Higdon's and Pfitzinger, plus the Runners World plans when they were free.

Start your long runs a bit slower, then speed up the last few miles if you still have energy. I've found that if there is a big drop-off in my pace, it's always because I started too fast.

When you start doing longer long runs, you'll want to pay attention to what foods give you more energy and which upset your stomach. I found that I don't do well with very spicy or high fiber foods the day before my long run, or for lunch if I'm doing a late afternoon run. I also don't do well with a lot of sugar. YMMV I have a friend who fuels her marathons with donuts and Mountain Dew. When your runs get up to 90 minutes, you'll also want to start experimenting with fuel during your run. I found that some Gus taste good, some awful. Some upset my stomach, some don't. As I got more used to taking them, my stomach settled down a lot, but I'm still careful when trying something new.

Do as many outside runs as you can. You need to get used to the surface and to dealing with weather. I had a HM where the temperature at start time was 17F degrees. I had never run outside when it was below freezing. I did fine, but was pretty freaked out when I realized that the day's high didn't mean it was going to be 30 at 8:00 a.m. I also had a race where it rained the whole day. By getting practice in all kinds of weather, it was a lot easier to deal with. Definitely do your long runs outside, if possible. (I can handle cold, but icy roads or snowbanks make it hard to find safe places to run.)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes run outside in all weather conditions as much as you can it's much harder than the treadmill. I'm sure thousands of people have completed races without ever running outside but I couldn't be one of those. Its your first half follow a basic plan something like the runkeeper's finish a half marathon plan. basically 16 weeks of a progressive training program at 3ish possibly 4 days per week.

The major hurtle here is done. I've told everyone I know there isn't a big difference between running 3-4 miles to a half marathon as there is to going from couch to 5k. I did one on about 5 days notice earlier this year and pulled out a finish even with major bathroom issues and missing race officials.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a look at this...

https://halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

I just started the 10k novice one a few days ago.

Also, if you are going to do a race outside, i would strongly advise on do most of your training outside. My sister can run 3 miles on a treadmill, but can't even run a quarter mile outside.

Also, if you know the race and course you are going to enter, you can research the course (ascent/descent) and find a place where you can train in similar conditions.

The best way to train for something is to train under the same conditions as the event.
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1. Has anyone used the Nike Run Club for half marathon training? No
    2. Should I set it up for 4-5 or 5-6 days a week to train? For 1st timers Halfmarathoners, most of whom I've talked to recommend 4-5 times a week, with at least 2 times a week doing weight training
    3. Should I keep my pace the same and just focus on distance? Look for half marathon training guides out there, most will give you varied advice on particular runs during the week
    4. What nutrition changes, macros, calorie intake should I change MFP to? Keep doing what you're doing as far as eating is concerned
    5. I usually run on a treadmill, but this fall I realized how much I need to practice running outside if I’m going to do this. Would I be ok running outside once in the weekends? Should I set my treadmill incline to 1 or 2 to help? You don't have to do every run outside, but at least a couple times each week would be beneficial to get use to the terrain
    6. Any other suggestions or advice?
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a half in March. It’s my goal personally. I just found a good plan online and made it work for me. It’s cold here but I run outside on hills pretty much because of where I live as much as I can. The race is outside rain or shine so I want to train in both.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh and good luck! When is the race?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. How often do you currently run
    3. You'll probably want to decrease your speed as your mileage increases
    4. You don't need to change anything, though as you increase your mileage you may want to decrease your deficit.
    5. If you half is outside, do as much running as you can outside.
    6. Good shoes, practice fueling, do complimentary strength training & cross training

Have fun!

This is essentially what I'm doing as I train for a half marathon in January.

I'm not following a specific program.
    I run 3-4 times a week, different distances.
    I run my shorter distances faster, and my longer distances slower.
    I haven't changed my nutrition.
    My half marathon is outside, so most of my running is outside. I've done one treadmill run in the last year.
    I got "fitted" for shoes, I cycle, walk, climb stairs, and do some light weights as well, and I'm still working on the fuelling. Fortunately, I can do a 10K without anything special.
  • teach0722
    teach0722 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful! Thanks so much. Not sure how many miles I run a week since I was following the Nike Run Club app, “get more fit” and it had 2 days strength training, tempo runs, long runs, and recovery runs. I liked the mix and variety.

Before that, I was running about 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week, on a treadmill set between 4.5-5 miles an hour. I only started running about 2 years ago. Before that, I was doing one of the beach body programs, Turbo Fire, 6 days a week.

I ran outside yesterday for 3.6 miles at a 11’39” pace. It gets dark earlier here so not sure when I can run outside during the week after work.

Anyone have good information about how to set a “race pace”?

Marathon is in April, so I feel like I have a good amount of time to train.
  • teach0722
    Options
    Thanks for all your help? Am I missing anything else?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    teach0722 wrote: »

Is it a half or a full? You can calculate your race pace from previous races?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Run in the dark, just make sure you're nice and fluorescent! That's what I do as its dark in the UK by 4.30 and I run at 5pm after work.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Run in the dark, just make sure you're nice and fluorescent! That's what I do as its dark in the UK by 4.30 and I run at 5pm after work.

I run ~5:30 am on Tue/Thur. I dress for the cold (around freezing right now) and put a reflective vest over top. I don't have lights, but where I run is light pretty good with streetlights. I tried a headlamp once and it annoyed me.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    All good information here. Make sure you listen to your body, stretch and use a roller to roll your muscles. Do not ignore pains and how you feel. Good sleep is essential to recovery as is eating more protein to rebuild muscles. I would recommend setting the treadmill at 1% incline to help mimic outdoor running. You can run some runs on the treadmill. This is a safer way to increase mileage. Don't stress over time. Just have fun and enjoy your race.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    To determine race pace: run a 10k and put the result into a pace converter like McMillans. Expect to run a bit slower than that, because converters assume you are running a lot more miles than you currently do. Alternately if you can find a good race to use as a predictor, run just a bit faster than your usual long run pace.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Don’t worry too much about the time if it’s your first one. Just get used to time on your feet and putting weekly mileage.
    Don’t forget to strength train.
    Find a good novice plan and use that as a blueprint.
    I put all my people on a program that uses a lot of hills and tempo runs with only one long run a week and that being them the best results but listen to how your body is reacting.
    And if you have it go to a running store and find the right shoes for you. (Good stores will have a person who will look at your gate and determine what type of shoe is best for you)
  • tharpel
    tharpel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make sure to leave enough time to properly train and don’t over do. I try and do like a 12-16 week running training plan. Just have fun and down worry about time. It is easier to get an idea once you finish your first half and then to beat your time on the next. Obviously your miles times will be slower the longer distances you run.
  • teach0722
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s help and advise. I’ve taken advantage of the break and did a few road runs. One was 3.6 miles and the other was 4 miles at under a pace of 12. It felt good. However the 2nd one, my shoe rubbed my foot at mile 3. I was already out so I just felt with it. It I now have a sore.

I went to get fitted for running shoes today and it was really interesting. They asked lots of questions, looked at my running and walked over a pad several times to look at my pressure points in my foot. Got a good pair of shoes, socks, and shoe arches. I never thought I would say this, but I’m excited for my next run!!!

I’ve decided to take the next week and just run and the. Begin the Nike Run Club app marathon and try to mix it with the Hal Higdon one that several of you recommended. The NRC app has strength training, temp runs, recovery runs, and long runs. I just want to make sure I keep on track on the miles parts. I’m also going to try to get a routine together of a good mix or road and treadmill running.

From what everyone said, I feel like this is a good plan. I’m nervous, terrified, and beyond excited about undertakings this adventure. It greatly reduces my anxiety when I have research and a good plan.

Once again, thanks for all of your help! Anything else would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a half-marathon group already formed? That may be a good outlet for everyone.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @teach0722 I don't know about a half marathon group, but there is a month running challenge group that is really good. You can jump in at any time, but the new month will be here before we know it. The group ranges from pretty new runners to people that run like 150 miles a month. They seem to give good advice and it's a really active discussion with a lot of support.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yes, please feel free to jump in to the Running Challenge group! There are all levels of runners in the group, including some who are still doing 5k and some who have run Boston.

As you can see, running outside is important because of things like the sores on your feet. Learning how to manage your equipment, hydration and fueling, weather, and terrain are all part of doing a race, and you can't really duplicate that on a treadmill. Besides running outside is more fun!