Running Shoes

Options
Ok so I am going to Modell's after work because I need new shoes. Modell's is a good place right. I asked about shoe brands a little while ago and New Balance seemed to be the theme, Modell's has New Balance Running shoes on sale for $45 that's good right? It is a LOT more money than I usually spend on shoes but certainly seems more reasonable than $100, oh payless I wish you worked for this. So this is good, as long as they feel good I am not horribly astray right?

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are going to be running regularly, the extra investment in better running shoes is worth it. Your body will thank you.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be doing a lot of serious running spend the money! You only get 2 feet and 2 knees! Treat them right. Asics are my favorite running shoes and are not the most expensive I have strayed from them and regret it every time!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    seriously, go to a running shoe specialty store and get fitted for shoes. This will help you avoid injury (i.e. shin splints) in the future. If you think the store is too pricey (100 is NOT expensive....it is SO worth it) then jot down the exact shoe and size then look for it online. Keep in mind that updated models of the same shoes fit differently.

I cannot emphasize the importance of getting fitted for running shoes...just do it (but dont buy nike, they are probably the worst!)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I had the money, which I literally do not have. Its not about investment it is about maxed out credit cards and little money in the bank, and graduate student loans looming. Going from $20 Payless shoes and $45 New Balance shoes is a step up, I though New Balances were supposed to be pretty good. They aren't?
  • crudolph76
    Options
    I run, walk, and hike in Vibram Five Fingers. :) my lower legs hated me at first but now they're as strong as they've ever been.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    running shoes are cheaper than knee replacements...if you got fitted you could probably find a good pair for around 60 at the lowest...but get fitted at least!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I would definitely save until I could get properly fitted for running shoes. Sure New Balance may be good shoes but are the $45 pair the ones you need to be wearing to run in. Will they aide in proper foot strike/running stride? Or will they be the wrong fit for you setting you up for possible injury?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't need to spend a lot of money on good shoes but you do need to make sure you're getting the right shoe for your running style and foot. If you have high arches, the right shoe for you is going to be different from someone who has flat feet. Saving $20 or $30 is not going to be worth sore knees and ankles and perhaps an injury that sends you to the doctor.

If you aren't running too far yet, go with the New Balance shoes, they are good. Just be sure to buy them at least a 1/2 size too big so you have extra room for when you're feet swell a little. If you don't, you'll definitely regret it.

ETA: I started running in April and was wearing new Adidas running shoes. I ended up with a sore right knee. I switched to my old pair of cross trainers and had no problems until I started running more than 3 miles on a regular basis. I just went out last weekend and was finally fitted for a real pair of running shoes and decided on Brooks Ghost 4s. So far, no problems!
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    Ok I am not being clear, my fault. The soles came off of my gym shoes. I need new shoes now, saving up is not an option, are New Balances ok as far as shoes go? $100 shoes cannot happen unless I don't eat lunch for 2 weeks.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow I'd never paid anything less than 90 for good running shoes. Everything in Canada is more expensive! $45 is a STEAL if they are good shoes! Never find that here.
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    You don't need to spend a lot of money on good shoes but you do need to make sure you're getting the right shoe for your running style and foot. If you have high arches, the right shoe for you is going to be different from someone who has flat feet. Saving $20 or $30 is not going to be worth sore knees and ankles and perhaps an injury that sends you to the doctor.

If you aren't running too far yet, go with the New Balance shoes, they are good. Just be sure to buy them at least a 1/2 size too big so you have extra room for when you're feet swell a little. If you don't, you'll definitely regret it.

Ok 1/2 a size too big I can do that, and now I don't run well yet. I can only run 20 minutes (with the other 10 interval of walking) then I do 30 minutes of elliptical
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Ok 1/2 a size too big I can do that, and now I don't run well yet. I can only run 20 minutes (with the other 10 interval of walking) then I do 30 minutes of elliptical
    The New Balance should do you fine for the meantime. If you find that something starts to hurt, though, it's time to buy a different pair. Don't "run though it" or you could do serious and permanent damage.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to sell shoes professionally and am fanatical about them because of lower back issues that were resolved by wearing proper footwear. Here is what I know:

Think of your shoes as the foundation on your house...would you skimp on your foundation? Would you hire someone just because they were the absolute lowest price? No! Of course not! Your house would fall down if you did that! Your body and it's many joints, muscles, ligaments etc. is essentially your "house". No there's no need to spend 200$ on a pair of shoes however 100-130$ is completely reasonable. Remember too, just as your house needs maintenance sometimes, so do you need new shoes. General rule for someone who runs 3-4 x a week, less than 5K a day says you should be replacing your shoes (and any non-medical orthodics you may use in them) every 6-8 months. I know this sounds like alot but take a look at your shoes now, if you see any tearing of the upper, if the soles are thin, coming apart and possibly worn right through, if the cushioning layer is all smashed...you needed new shoes 6 months ago...maybe longer. Also, have your shoes fitted. Most adults wear their shoes 1/2 to a full size too big because it's what they got used to growing up when our parents would buy us shoes that we would "grow into". Your feet are likely no longer growing so buy a pair that fits properly, not just because it's a pretty colour.

Lastly, to everyone who puts on or removes their shoes without undoing your lasses, pay attention, you need to undo the lasses, otherwise you are destroying the stability of your shoes and risk great injury!!!
  • CatMauro
    Options

Buying your shoes too big will lead to blistering. Your feet won't swell if there's no room for them to swell into. They may a bit after you remove the shoes, but what do you care then. Shop for your shoes when you would normally run. Our feet do swell a bit (usually less than 1/2 a size) throughout the day so if you run in the evening, go shopping in the evening.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hmmm well I may have a long term plan eventually? I don't think New Balance are bad, better than Pay Less, but a lot depends on your foot. For instance, there are this GREAT Zumba shoes you can get....ones with the name Zumba on them and some cool Nike ones and Ryaka (Sp?) Well...my foot is super wide and although they're great for zumba I had to get something else because.....the others' wouldn't fit me.

We just went through a whole 'shoe' reoutfitting after I destroyed a pair hiking and showed a little dedication to exercize, my reward was a pair of shoes for zumba and a pair for hiking/trail runnning. I got the best I could for zumba, and it's better than it was, but OMG the difference with my hiking/trail running shoes from my target sneakers is night and day. I got Brooks (not for regular running) and it's amazing I feel so free, supported .... it's life changing.

I would say the right shoes are life changing...so knowing that you need to replace those shoes every 6-8 months I'd get the new balance and start saving up for something that really supports you (IF the new balance doesn't, they work for some people...not for me I have arch issues)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Buying your shoes too big will lead to blistering. Your feet won't swell if there's no room for them to swell into. They may a bit after you remove the shoes, but what do you care then. Shop for your shoes when you would normally run. Our feet do swell a bit (usually less than 1/2 a size) throughout the day so if you run in the evening, go shopping in the evening.

I think you have to just know yourself for this one. Like I know with my wide foot I tend to buy 1/2 a size too big b/c the shoes I need don't come 'wide'. But they feel tight when I first buy them for a day or two...then they're great. Once I bought a full size too big b/c they felt great at the time....HUGE mistake I was swimming in them within weeks and can't wear them.
  • CatMauro
    Options

I think you have to just know yourself for this one. Like I know with my wide foot I tend to buy 1/2 a size too big b/c the shoes I need don't come 'wide'. But they feel tight when I first buy them for a day or two...then they're great. Once I bought a full size too big b/c they felt great at the time....HUGE mistake I was swimming in them within weeks and can't wear them.

New Balance offers a wide array of shoes in wide, extra wide and extra, extra wide (2E-6E). No need to buy shoes too big :)

You raise a good point though with the shoes swimming on you. Your shoes will stretch, usually much more than your feet could ever swell. One of the many reasons why it's important to switch up your shoes about twice a year.