Helping my 10 year old

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My nephew was an incredibly chubby child and the doctor said to focus more on additional activity than forcing him to eat less. His dad bought him a basic fit bit (a One) and they had whole family challenges for steps. Of course, focusing on healthy, balanced eating as a family helped. Having him help prepare food and getting him interested in cooking - letting him look up recipes and helping with the cooking really helped. Nephew is now 25, 6'8" and in great shape. He's also now a chef.

I think it's great that you are trying to address the issue early and in a positive way.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've changed the meals I serve but I recently discovered after going to bed, he is in the kitchen eating again. I don't want to contribute any longer to an unhealthy relationship with food but I need to get him to stop eating so much! At his last checkup his doctor even mentioned his weight gain and told us we need to get it under control before it becomes more of an issue. Anyone else dealing with helping their child lose weight?

Maybe slightly larger servings of the food you prepare for dinner might stop him from snacking? Overeating often comes from undereating, in a sense.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I am for both of you doing this together. Shopping, preparing and discussing your feelings about food and being a healthy weight. Make it a real bonding process between both of you. A learning experience for you both.
    I snuck food as a child. I knew it was wrong. Shame associated with food developed that continues to this day.
    Praise him for his successes, and help him over the not so successful times. Let him know you are there for him and relate.
    You can both do this!
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    How about it's only healthy snacks for all? And treats from time to time?
    Just because the girls are at a good weight at the moment, it doesn't mean they'll stay at it if they don't eat right. Bad habits are hard to break and eating healthy is what everyone should do, even those among us who are at their ideal weight! ;-)

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don’t change how much he eats. Only change what he eats but I still wouldn’t cut out all junk food. I think it’s healthy to learn that it’s okay to have a sugary snack once in a while just not all the time. I have an autistic son who was getting a little overweight. He is tall for his age but I could tell he was getting a little chubby at the age of 6. It was very hard to change his diet because his diet pretty much consisted of chicken nuggets, milk, pasta, chips, fries, and white bread. He wouldn’t eat anything else. He would eat throughout the day little bits here and there. I did not cut anything out of his diet but I did change white bread to whole wheat bread. At every meal, he must eat what I make him in order to get anything else. I would give him a serving of mixed vegetables, meat, and I’ll usually include another whole food item like mashed sweet potato or sautéed mushrooms. I never cut out the fun foods. Once a week I will include something like fries, homemade fried chicken using whole wheat flour, or spaghetti (Fridays are always spaghetti night). I also gave him more water. If he did not eat what I gave him he did not get anything else. I had to help feed it to him at first because his motor skills were not that refined and when he saw that everyone else was eating the same thing, he was more willing to try different foods. After the initial hump of getting him to try new foods, he unknowingly changed his own eating habits. He was eating less throughout the day and even started asking for things like apples and bananas for snacks and will ask for water instead of milk. I still give him the occasional chips or whatever but only if he eats what I give him. When he’s at school, I’ll give him something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a fruit, and string cheese for lunch. Just by changing what he ate he lost a pant size.
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    you're the parent. why are you buying unhealthy foods??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    EloiseBean wrote: »
    you're the parent. why are you buying unhealthy foods??

Why are you concluding that is what is happening?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Through all of this also please, please be aware of how boys grow. From what I read your older kids are girls?? There is a bit of a difference in how boys grow vs girls from how I have seen my boys vs my friends girls grow. I have three boys. When the first was 10-11years old I silently freaked out! He gained weight fast! From 90lbs to 120lbs. Suddenly his waist size on the jeans was 34 and the leg length was stil 28-30, he was eating the whole house, sleeping more than moving, etc. This did level off. He maintained his slow weight gain for a few years and started to make better food choices as he saw his dad and I doing so(we always have, just portion sizes have been a factor), his doc was unconcerned and said to just keep and eye on him and encourage activity. Not really an issue as we hobby farm and there are “forced” chores. We have a lot of stuff that there are no opt out of days. Hours spent loading, unloading, and potentially reloading 50lb a piece square bales, trailers of 300 at a time and such by hand. Fixing fence moving animals on foot, etc. Again, his weight stayed fairly fixed, as did his height. Then he turned 14. That year he grew 6” in height in 4 months, his shoulders broadened by about the same and his waist slimmed by 4inches. His weight never moved it stayed at 130-140lbs. It all went into biceps and deltoid muscle as far as we could tell. Lol. My second son grew exactly the same. And my third is just coming in to that 11year old growth spurt. I see your concern. Trust me I do. Find an activity your son loves, focus on food to fuel his movement and I would bet it will all come together as he grows into himself.

My friend's son was like this. At 10-11 he really was pretty short and quite overweight and always eating
    His mum was short and about 400lb but refused to listen to the school when they suggested he was obese and needed to join a weekend programme they have for obese teens

He's now 15, 6ft 4 and has no spare weight on him at all

He's on the schools basketball team these days

My son's alot younger but he packs on weight for a couple months right before a growth spurt

My main issue would be taking his sisters snacks since they are bought from Thier own money.
    I would be going over the "taking others property is theft" and ask him WHY he takes others property
    If it's a case of him feeling he doesn't have enough food then sit down and write a list between you of reasonable snacks to buy in for him

I also take walks with my daughter, one route we like is 5 miles. At mile 3 there is a little cafe. I like a cup of tea, she likes hot chocolate and cake (or a milkshake in summer)
    Gets us fresh air, some exercise (were both limited by disability) and she gets to eat a treat that has been off set by her exercise
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I always noticed that my son would get a little heavier for a while but then would have a growth spurt while young. Even as a toddler. Guess that’s just the way he was. So that he doesn’t feel he’s the center of a problem, how about doing more as a whole family, like a special hike with challenges? A family scavenger hunt at a park? A family outdoor sport? Or bowling? Include non-food rewards. How about a mini family Olympics with extended family/friends. We do it every summer and my brother, sister and myself range from 57-60. With all the kids and extended family, we all enjoy planning the events and practicing ahead of time. We end in a pie eating contest which always ends in a pie throwing contest so not much is eaten but the photos and memories are priceless. Relay races with stations to stop at with old weird clothing, hats etc to be included; egg in the spoon race; a ball game or crochet game could be included. You decide as a family. Getting excited about an activity can be a real encouragement for everyone.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Instead of watching him and limiting his choices, why not give into him a bit? My mom didn't cook for us so breakfast was whatever we could grab, lunch was from the cafeteria, snacks were at home and dinner was eaten in a restaurant every night. Because of this, I never ate breakfast. And then I hated the school food so I never ate at school. By the time I got home, I was so hungry. So I snacked continuously until someone came home to take us to dinner and then ate a full sized dinner. And then would probably eat something else at night. My weight jumped quite a bit because I was growing and I was eating a lot, more than I needed. .

If my mom had packed me with foods I actually wanted to eat, then I wouldn't be so hungry later in the day. I got into a really bad snacking/grazing habit as a kid and that set me up to fail. Don't withhold food from him but work with him so he knows how much he can eat in a day. Send him to school with a variety lunch box - something full of nutrients, some sort of a vegetable, some sort of a fruit, and some sort of a treat (small chocolate bar, cookie, gummy etc). And let him choose it so he's excited to eat what is in his lunch box. Then hopefully he won't get home and be super hungry that he starts looking for more snacks.

And, if you let the girls have private snack stashes, let him have him own private stash. It doesn't have to be food, it could be like small toys or plastic dinosaurs or something like that. Let him add to it, something small every week or 2.
  • HSnyder1984
    HSnyder1984 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! We went grocery shopping together and he got to pick foods that he would like to take to lunch as well as things we can cook together at home. He does enjoy cooking, more so with his dad than me so dad will be taking over the dinner preparations. I will start making his lunch. He does play baseball, both fall ball and spring. He is excited to try adding soccer.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have a kiddo who we are working on the same issue. We go periodically to a wellness counselor, and here are some things we are working on:

1) Mindfulness: Working on meditation, taking time to eat slowly and enjoy it, doing exercises that help put us in a good mindset...not stuff we hate.
    2) Hydration: It helps, although usually indirectly. Restrict juices, promote water, and enjoy lots and lots of TEA.
    3) Be active. Not everyone is into team sports - do stuff you love to do and it doesn't have to directly be a "workout". Just get out and about.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Gauging from my gated communities children's activities ... I would suggest you LEAVE his consumption volume alone, only sign him up for Winter Tennis, Soccer and Basketball and track . Those coaches are amazing with the attention they give to each child, per their abilities. Clinics here run for 2 hours every afternoon from 4pm to 6.30pm. 30 mins pep talking.

All his expanded energy from his daily sports commitments should assist him with those calories being directed to where his growing body needs VS eating badly compounded by sedentary activities at home.

Children here don't get dropped or picked by their parents ... They walk to the courts, ballpark ... It works, if you merely adjust activities to suit a child. If it's just you plus him, it's not going to be as fun, I am guessing. Better still, if you find out which activities friends from school are doing, and sign him up there too.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    This is probably a little old fashioned and frowned upon these days but...

He's 10. He's a child. He doesn't and isn't equipped to make good meaningful decisions so as the adult it's your job to make them for him. So if he wants more food or to binge on junk, tell him no. Not to shame him or because he's overweight but because it's dangerous for his health and he's 10 so his health is your responsibility.

I can't think of any 10 year old who wouldn't eat chocolate for breakfast and cake for dinner if not given any boundaries. Kids suck at self management and self control because they're kids and their brains haven't developed fully yet.

Treat his overeating in the same way you would other things that you found out he was doing that would be damaging. How would you handle it if you found out he was smoking? or drinking?

Again, probably a bit 'old school' for today's society but still...