Should I just fast till thanksgiving time?

Options
Or I’m thinking of either just having soup in the morning or a smoothie till the goodies come around tomorrow night. I know I’m going to indulge and it might just kill my week. The holidays are the worst!

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat an apple or some vegetables for breakfast. Have reasonable portions of turkey, etc for lunch and dinner and a piece of pie. I'm going to be on my feet a lot cooking and cleaning up throughout the day and walking so I don't think fasting will be a good idea or necessary. I will eat normally the rest of the week. My experience has been than Thanksgiving does not change my weight that much.
    You certainly can eat only one meal that day, light meals before or after, eat 100 calories less each day or exercise a bit more this week or do nothing special this week. There are a lot of ways to handle it. I would not stress about it.
  • annlyric
    annlyric Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to punish yourself for one day out of the year. Call it a cheat day and get back into your normal routine the next day. It won’t kill you to enjoy the holiday. Sticking so strict to a diet only makes me miserable. I want to be able to enjoy the holidays with my family. So I plan to fill up on the veggies, limit myself to one plate of food, and have a slice of pie.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yes
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    giaa13 wrote: »
    Or I’m thinking of either just having soup in the morning or a smoothie till the goodies come around tomorrow night. I know I’m going to indulge and it might just kill my week. The holidays are the worst!

Maybe you could just eat at maintenance tomorrow. Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). You won't gain or lose with this number. Sanity. Holidays shouldn't be about food guilt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Great article!

thanksgiving.jpg

Unfortunately not true for diabetics. If I ate the way I used to on Thanksgiving, my blood glucose would most likely go up to about the 300 range. Not high enough to end up in the hospital but high enough to feel sick and damage nerves, and have lingering blurred vision. My pancreas does not know it's a holiday.

Yes, but OP was asking in regards to weight loss not disease management. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that diabetics or others managing a disease should disregard medical guidelines on Thanksgiving or any other occasion. Hopefully your family is able to accommodate and support your needs.

Ya, my family has been accommodating a cousin with a nut allergy for so long that I think it's perfectly normal to have several versions of the same dish. Am bringing three versions of cranberry sauce tomorrow and a second stuffing.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, exercise, then skip lunch and indulge on dinner.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You're more likely to over-eat if you severely under-eat before hand. I suggest instead you eat a little more lightly, and perhaps exercise as well.

While I'm eating dinner, I repeat "save room for dessert, save room for dessert, save room for dessert" and this helps me to not overeat. My family also goes for a 1.5 mile walk in between the meal and dessert. (We eat early enough so that we can do this.)

It's going to be really cold here tomorrow, and so I'll bring warm clothes to accommodate this.

So much this! I find if I severely under eat to either compensate for a bad binge or to prepare for a holiday celebration then I either start a bad binge/restrict cycle or eat everything & more when it's time to eat for the holiday.

If you follow the whole eating your exercise calories back & not using the TDEE method then you could bank exercise calories a few days in advance before a big holiday celebration/birthday/vacation without skimping on your overall daily calories. A lot of people do this to indulge more on the weekend & they'll eat a bit less during the week to accomplish this.

Or you could figure that it's only one day (or maybe a week or two if you throw in Christmas, birthday, & vacations) & it won't effect your overall progress as long as you get back on track.

With the holiday eat stuff you normally don't eat because of the calories, stuff you really enjoy, or something that you can't eat everyday of the year (limited edition foods or something that a relative makes that you don't see often). Foods you can eat any day of the year or it's something that you don't particularly like I would just pass on.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I will eat a little too much, and will log it all. Planning some treadmill time later on. I'm in maintenance and have learned to roll with the odd days.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the feast and fast tomorrow, you'll be fine. My strategy was to enter the 8K turkeyday trot this morning.