Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    ...@AnvilHead posted a hypothetical scenario about an advertising campaign that called people fatties, with the implication that if you were against this hypothetical advertising campaign, PF's advertising must be unacceptable. He then said "If you've ever undergone any EEO training, you'd understand that if something is unacceptable going one direction, it's equally unacceptable going the other direction also". The point I made is that these two things are simply not the same, for the reasons I set out in my post...

But they are. They're exactly the same. It's your perception that sees them differently.

There's no difference between perpetuating a stereotype that fat people are lazy, undisciplined pigs and perpetuating a stereotype that fit/muscular people are stupid, shallow, overly aggressive narcissists.

But I mean, if we're really going to take a deep dive into EEO and go by the letter of the law rather than common sense and decency, neither of the above fall under "protected class" status (unless the obesity is due to illness, in which case it could fall under ADA law), so technically they're both fair game.

Man, if I had the money lying around, I'd love to open the "no fatties, no wimps" gym I mentioned earlier and run a nationwide advertising blitz using tactics similar to PF, just to watch people flip their *kitten* over it. And then point out the similarities to PF's marketing campaign.

But that is precisely what the OP is saying.
    (I do agree that you can't differentiate between stereotypes and claim one is worse than the other)

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    But they are. They're exactly the same. It's your perception that sees them differently.

There's no difference between perpetuating a stereotype that fat people are lazy, undisciplined pigs and perpetuating a stereotype that fit/muscular people are stupid, shallow, overly aggressive narcissists.

But I mean, if we're really going to take a deep dive into EEO and go by the letter of the law rather than common sense and decency, neither of the above fall under "protected class" status (unless the obesity is due to illness, in which case it could fall under ADA law), so technically they're both fair game.

Man, if I had the money lying around, I'd love to open the "no fatties, no wimps" gym I mentioned earlier and run a nationwide advertising blitz using tactics similar to PF, just to watch people flip their *kitten* over it. And then point out the similarities to PF's marketing campaign.

I understand the whole "technically they're the same" argument. I just don't think anyone is reasonably offended or hurt by the PF commercial you posted above, and I think people would be reasonably offended or hurt by a commercial calling people fatties. And I think that matters. But that's just guesswork on my behalf, I obviously can't speak for everyone.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Again, my objection has nothing to do with being offended by being insulted for being fit. It is about (1) being offended by being insulted for being dumb or socially uncouth or mean (and I think the negative connotation of being those things -- and particularly dumb -- is worse than being fat, and I say this as someone who was very fat); and (2) (and more important) about creating hatred and division by telling people that those at other gyms are bad, mean people.

And yes, I find it offensive when people claim that everyone who goes to gyms other than PF are bad, mean people who will harass them. Also, as someone obsessed with truthfulness, it bothers me just because it is a lie.

Why are you defending this?

I'm not sure why you think that I'm arguing with you. I've engaged in 1 single point, which is whether making fun of someone fat is the same as making fun of someone fit. But just to clarify, you're offended by this commercial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

I did not say I was offended by a specific commercial. I was quite clear what I was talking about. I think people get offended way too easily in general, so none of this depends on my personal offense. I think it's wrong and bad to tell people that those in other gyms are big dumb meanies who will mock them, and that they should dislike and fear. I see the effect of this by all the PF supporters on MFP who assert that at their gym -- unlike other gyms, supposedly -- things are clean and no one is mean or rude or harasses them. Oddly enough, you don't see people who go to other gyms claiming that the people at all other gyms are mean and icky, just PF fans, and the marketing encourages and creates this.
  • lemurcat2
    edited November 2018
    Or am I misunderstanding? Are you just venting? Or do you think PF and similar places shouldn't be allowed to advertise themselves as places where certain behavior is discouraged? What's the result you want here?
    Let me ask you this: How would you feel about a gym chain that marketed themselves as being targeted toward fit, strong people, and televised advertisements which mocked, caricatured and made fun of fat people, scrawny people and cardio aficionados? And used terms analogous to “lunks” to describe them? Maybe terms like “slobs”, “pencil necks” and “cardio bunnies”? And had a “wimp alarm” on the wall that sounded a siren and activated a rotating red light to publicly shame/humiliate anybody who attempted anything other than a heavy compound lift? And assured its members of a hardcore, “no wimps, no fatties” environment?

Would that all be acceptable and perfectly okay? Or do you think maybe some people might have a problem with it?

Does it make you feel bad when people make fun of how strong you are and how big your muscles are?

How is it acceptable either way? It really shouldn't be.

I think one of the biggest problems in the US right now is how much we are divided and angry at each other (honestly, I often find myself wondering "why do they hate us," heh). Given this real danger (and I think it is a danger), advertising that seems based in "all those other gyms are full of people who are terrible and would be mean to you, and it's best that you fear and dislike them" seems to me extremely unethical, even immoral.

That it works doesn't change that.

And no, I don't think bad about people who go to PF, like I keep saying, it's cheap and has great hours.

OK. This at least seems like a better point than "my feelings are hurt because this one chain of gyms doesn't me because I lift heavy." But it also seems like a problem that is (1) vastly larger than PF and (2) bordering on blaming the victims.

Of course it's vastly larger than PF, no one said otherwise. I don't think PF is all that important, but it's the topic of this discussion, and I a small piece of something I think is bad, so I think it's worth noting. I certainly think that it's important for those of us who see it like I do to speak up about it, and I don't agree that it's somehow inappropriate or silly to do so.

Blaming the victims? Please, not at all. Do you think people who go to PF are "victims"? Or the people who claim that all other gyms and the people who go there are bad and mean and scary and awful (and usually not clean). I think THOSE people are being rude and derogatory to others.
    As I've mentioned over and over, you don't see people who go to other gyms trashing those who don't go to their preferred gym (edit to add: well, I guess maybe OP, and I'd be asking him questions if he were here).

I don't think PF has what I want in a gym, and it's not near my office or home anyway, and the lunk alarm is stupid, but I totally get why people who want different things or like the cost/hours would join. Most people likely don't join because of the marketing at all (might not even be aware of it). You can tell who is because they are the ones who claim PF is superior to other gyms because of the absence of those bad scary people. (And again, weirdly, because it is clean, as if other gyms are unlikely to be clean.)

As noted, I went to gyms when very fat and out of shape (and embarrassed to be seen exercising by fit people, it's not like I'm unaware of that feeling), so why are the people who go to PF "victims" and worthy of all this coddling and excuses when they say rude things about other people and gyms, but not the rest of us (who are not the ones doing that).

And again, obviously I am not speaking about the vast majority of people who go to PF, who are pretty much the same as people who go to other gyms, but those who buy into the marketing I'm objecting to and go on about other gyms.
    (1) For just one example, how do you feel about advertising for luxury goods, especially cars, which by and large is based on the premise (even if unstated) that people who buy those goods "deserve" those luxuries because they can afford them, and that it will allow them peace and relaxation and comfort and a reflection of their success that sets apart from all those schmucks who can't afford them? Are those ads unethetical and immoral?

I don't think that's what ads for luxury cars say. I think they focus on how nice the car is (I do not have a luxury car, I have a 2008 Prius). I haven't noticed a car commercial that is directly us against them. If I did, I'd probably object to it. (I don't watch ads on TV ever, so if there is an ad you want my opinion on let me know and I will watch it.)
    (2) Again, just one analogy, but do you blame people Lynzy Lab for her "Scary Time" YouTube video that seems based on "every day women have to worry about men who might be terrible and would be mean to them, and it's best for you to be on your guard and not jog with ear buds or leave your drink unattended."

Maybe I'm clueless, but I've never heard of her. Should I google and report back?
    Yeah, maybe the comparison is over the top, but I'd say you started it by comparing fearing and disliking people whose use of a shared space makes you uncomfortable to the other divisions and anger in the U.S.

I started it?
    If you really see this as a serious problem, ... well, I don't know what to suggest. Stand outside PFs and hand out educational pamphlets explaining how regular gyms are mostly filled with nice people and there's nothing to fear?

This is why I jump into these discussions on PF on MFP and state my views. I have also told people lots of times that gyms aren't scary, people won't pay attention to you, etc.

You seem to think I shouldn't comment on PF's marketing unless I actually think PF is the number one social problem in the US. It seems to bother you that people state their views on PF marketing, because why? It might hurt the feelings of the people who choose PF based on the marketing, who deserve to be treated differently than the rest of us and never hear ideas they might disagree with?

And I don't think anyone is claiming to feel hurt. I do think it's odd that you think it's okay to treat the rest of us differently than someone who claims to be going to PF because people other other gyms are bad and mean. You don't know what all of us have experienced or dealt with or how hard many of the things we've done have been for us, and yet you are painting us as the aggressors and the people who like the divisive PF marketing as sweet helpless little victims, and I think that's rather condescending and also wrong. IMO, they are actually the aggressors, since -- once again -- they are the ones who claim that everyone else goes to gyms full of mean, dirty, nasty people (presumably because we are too).
  • lemurcat2
    edited November 2018
    ...@AnvilHead posted a hypothetical scenario about an advertising campaign that called people fatties, with the implication that if you were against this hypothetical advertising campaign, PF's advertising must be unacceptable. He then said "If you've ever undergone any EEO training, you'd understand that if something is unacceptable going one direction, it's equally unacceptable going the other direction also". The point I made is that these two things are simply not the same, for the reasons I set out in my post...

But that is precisely what the OP is saying.
    (I do agree that you can't differentiate between stereotypes and claim one is worse than the other)

The OP is not involved in the discussion. I just went back and reread the OP, because I didn't remember what it said, and I don't even understand what he thinks no intimidation gyms are, vs other gyms. What does he think other gyms do that the no intimidation gyms do not?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ...And, I've said it before, but I just don't buy the idea that PF is creating the social anxiety and fear that they appeal to in these ads that, as I've said before, I've never seen on TV. If it was that easy to create that social anxiety and fear, why are regular gyms still attracting members? Or why don't they resort to caricaturing the kinds of folks who go to PF and offer themselves, as another posted suggested, as "wimp-free" zones? If this was really some great hatred-fueled division as you suggest, you would expect it to have gained more traction...
    Because they know exactly the kind of blowback they'd get if they put the shoe on the other foot. That's why.

What's good for the goose wouldn't be good for the gander. And that's the fundamental problem I have with it.

OK, I can respect it as a principled position on equal treatment.

Can you imagine any way you would find it acceptable for a gym chain to market itself to the segment of the population who don't go to gyms because of anxieties or past bad experiences at gyms? Would it have to be essentially a PSA saying gyms aren't the way you think and that doesn't make any attempt to attract that segment to their gyms? Or do you believe that the anxieties aren't reality-based and the experiences are imagined or irrelevant, and no gym should try to address this segment of the population?

ETA:
    Or, to bring it back to the OP of the thread, do you believe the only ethical position for a gym ad would be to say "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work"?

Truth is truth but it doesn't always sell.
  • lemurcat2
    edited November 2018
    ETA:
    Or, to bring it back to the OP of the thread, do you believe the only ethical position for a gym ad would be to say "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work"?

Sorry to comment again, but I didn't notice this before.

I don't think the only reason for someone to go to a gym is because they are obese or because they are trying to lose weight. Even obese people could go mainly because they think it's important to be active or want to get stronger, without pairing it with weight loss. So no. If one were obese, I don't think such an ad would be bothersome or intimidating, though -- it would say to me that they had no issue with fat people joining and were offering help, which is what I would have liked.

Obviously, I think most fat people wouldn't like it if the gym made a big point of telling them they were fat all the time (what would this involve, the people at check in commenting on weight? that does not happen).

Funny thing is that as someone embarrassed and awkward about going to a gym for the first time (or back after a long time), which I can remember being, I would find PF extra offputting, because I would be scared I might accidentally drop a weight and get the lunk alarm sounded, which would have been humiliating for me back then. And just the focus on social stuff would have made me feel like it was going back to jr high, which I hated, and that kind of social dynamic.

But clearly not everyone has that reaction. And if they could sell the social stuff without the divisive, nasty stuff, then I wouldn't care.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Or am I misunderstanding? Are you just venting? Or do you think PF and similar places shouldn't be allowed to advertise themselves as places where certain behavior is discouraged? What's the result you want here?
    Let me ask you this: How would you feel about a gym chain that marketed themselves as being targeted toward fit, strong people, and televised advertisements which mocked, caricatured and made fun of fat people, scrawny people and cardio aficionados? And used terms analogous to “lunks” to describe them? Maybe terms like “slobs”, “pencil necks” and “cardio bunnies”? And had a “wimp alarm” on the wall that sounded a siren and activated a rotating red light to publicly shame/humiliate anybody who attempted anything other than a heavy compound lift? And assured its members of a hardcore, “no wimps, no fatties” environment?

Would that all be acceptable and perfectly okay? Or do you think maybe some people might have a problem with it?

Does it make you feel bad when people make fun of how strong you are and how big your muscles are?

How is it acceptable either way? It really shouldn't be.

I think one of the biggest problems in the US right now is how much we are divided and angry at each other (honestly, I often find myself wondering "why do they hate us," heh). Given this real danger (and I think it is a danger), advertising that seems based in "all those other gyms are full of people who are terrible and would be mean to you, and it's best that you fear and dislike them" seems to me extremely unethical, even immoral.

That it works doesn't change that.

And no, I don't think bad about people who go to PF, like I keep saying, it's cheap and has great hours.

OK. This at least seems like a better point than "my feelings are hurt because this one chain of gyms doesn't me because I lift heavy." But it also seems like a problem that is (1) vastly larger than PF and (2) bordering on blaming the victims.

Of course it's vastly larger than PF, no one said otherwise. I don't think PF is all that important, but it's the topic of this discussion, and I a small piece of something I think is bad, so I think it's worth noting. I certainly think that it's important for those of us who see it like I do to speak up about it, and I don't agree that it's somehow inappropriate or silly to do so.

Blaming the victims? Please, not at all. Do you think people who go to PF are "victims"? Or the people who claim that all other gyms and the people who go there are bad and mean and scary and awful (and usually not clean). I think THOSE people are being rude and derogatory to others.
    As I've mentioned over and over, you don't see people who go to other gyms trashing those who don't go to their preferred gym (edit to add: well, I guess maybe OP, and I'd be asking him questions if he were here).

I don't think PF has what I want in a gym, and it's not near my office or home anyway, and the lunk alarm is stupid, but I totally get why people who want different things or like the cost/hours would join. Most people likely don't join because of the marketing at all (might not even be aware of it). You can tell who is because they are the ones who claim PF is superior to other gyms because of the absence of those bad scary people. (And again, weirdly, because it is clean, as if other gyms are unlikely to be clean.)

As noted, I went to gyms when very fat and out of shape (and embarrassed to be seen exercising by fit people, it's not like I'm unaware of that feeling), so why are the people who go to PF "victims" and worthy of all this coddling and excuses when they say rude things about other people and gyms, but not the rest of us (who are not the ones doing that).

And again, obviously I am not speaking about the vast majority of people who go to PF, who are pretty much the same as people who go to other gyms, but those who buy into the marketing I'm objecting to and go on about other gyms.
    (1) For just one example, how do you feel about advertising for luxury goods, especially cars, which by and large is based on the premise (even if unstated) that people who buy those goods "deserve" those luxuries because they can afford them, and that it will allow them peace and relaxation and comfort and a reflection of their success that sets apart from all those schmucks who can't afford them? Are those ads unethetical and immoral?

I don't think that's what ads for luxury cars say. I think they focus on how nice the car is (I do not have a luxury car, I have a 2008 Prius). I haven't noticed a car commercial that is directly us against them. If I did, I'd probably object to it. (I don't watch ads on TV ever, so if there is an ad you want my opinion on let me know and I will watch it.)
    (2) Again, just one analogy, but do you blame people Lynzy Lab for her "Scary Time" YouTube video that seems based on "every day women have to worry about men who might be terrible and would be mean to them, and it's best for you to be on your guard and not jog with ear buds or leave your drink unattended."

Maybe I'm clueless, but I've never heard of her. Should I google and report back?
    Yeah, maybe the comparison is over the top, but I'd say you started it by comparing fearing and disliking people whose use of a shared space makes you uncomfortable to the other divisions and anger in the U.S.

I started it?
    If you really see this as a serious problem, ... well, I don't know what to suggest. Stand outside PFs and hand out educational pamphlets explaining how regular gyms are mostly filled with nice people and there's nothing to fear?

This is why I jump into these discussions on PF on MFP and state my views. I have also told people lots of times that gyms aren't scary, people won't pay attention to you, etc.

You seem to think I shouldn't comment on PF's marketing unless I actually think PF is the number one social problem in the US. It seems to bother you that people state their views on PF marketing, because why? It might hurt the feelings of the people who choose PF based on the marketing, who deserve to be treated differently than the rest of us and never hear ideas they might disagree with?

And I don't think anyone is claiming to feel hurt. I do think it's odd that you think it's okay to treat the rest of us differently than someone who claims to be going to PF because people other other gyms are bad and mean. You don't know what all of us have experienced or dealt with or how hard many of the things we've done have been for us, and yet you are painting us as the aggressors and the people who like the divisive PF marketing as sweet helpless little victims, and I think that's rather condescending and also wrong. IMO, they are actually the aggressors, since -- once again -- they are the ones who claim that everyone else goes to gyms full of mean, dirty, nasty people (presumably because we are too).

If all anyone (other than the OP, who advocates telling people they're obese because they're lazy -- which I do think is relevant since it was the OP of this thread) is trying to say is that they don't like the PF advertising, I have no problem with that. I have asked and not gotten a response as to what exactly posters want. If it's that something other than criticism and moral sanction and not buying PF's services should be brought to bear to discourage their YouTube ads, I disagree.

I have never run into these people you describe who go to PF and then run around claiming that all other gyms are full of mean people. Nor do I see that claim being made in the one ad that's been posted on this thread. No mention is made of other gyms in that ad.

I think that if there are people going to PF because their experience at other gyms has been unpleasant for them, especially to the extent that there are power imbalances between those who found the other gyms unpleasant and those they perceived as making them unpleasant, I am going to have to save my sympathy for the people who are talking about their own experiences rather than the people who insist that they are hurt by someone talking about their own experiences and who question the validity of the experiences they are attesting to.

Thanks. By making me think about it a little more, I feel far less like I was reaching by bringing up the Lynzy Lab "Scary Time" YouTube video. It's up to you whether you want to google it and report back.
  • cmoorecole
    cmoorecole Posts: 3 Member
    I have to tread carefully here. On the one hand, the idea of PF sounds great and I especially love that they will throw you out for wearing sexy workout clothes and treating the place as your singles pickup facility and that they toss out guys who make a lot of noise while lifting weights, etc, etc. That's just fun for me to read about. The price is cheap, blahdeeblah... However, when I joined I was faced with a huge room full of machines that I was clueless to use. My last adventure with an exercycle was an old Schwinn model that just had a manual mileage counter and some kind of adjustable tension...but no electronics at all. Nowadays, I find that people give me a blank stare if I ask about exercycles...they are no longer called that. I asked at the desk about getting some help and was told that they didn't help. You just were expected to know or bug another member, which is not my style. People are working out and you leave them alone.So much for the website promise of coaches working the floor. I went twice. I had been really jazzed about getting in there and sweating...oh and, all those TV monitors - you had to have an iphone to get sound. I use an Android. All in all, I left totally understanding why it's so cheap. So sad...I'll stick to hiking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    cmoorecole wrote: »
    ...On the one hand, the idea of PF sounds great and I especially love that they will throw you out for wearing sexy workout clothes and treating the place as your singles pickup facility and that they toss out guys who make a lot of noise while lifting weights, etc, etc...
    The thing PF conveniently fails to mention is that almost every gym has rules/a code of conduct that members are expected to abide by. While the dress codes are usually looser than PF's silly arbitrary rules, sexual harassment isn't tolerated in pretty much any gym, and most gyms will take action if somebody is being unnecessarily boisterous/obnoxious while lifting, throwing weights around, etc. - and they even somehow manage to do it without using a "lunk alarm" to publicly humiliate you in front of the entire gym.

Unless one is going to a real skanky sleazehole of a gym, all the things PF prides itself on not allowing aren't tolerated anywhere. It's not like PF is the only gym that has rules and every other gym is an unregulated jungle of debauchery and bad behavior.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    cmoorecole wrote: »
    ...On the one hand, the idea of PF sounds great and I especially love that they will throw you out for wearing sexy workout clothes and treating the place as your singles pickup facility and that they toss out guys who make a lot of noise while lifting weights, etc, etc...
    The thing PF conveniently fails to mention is that almost every gym has rules/a code of conduct that members are expected to abide by. While the dress codes are usually looser than PF's silly arbitrary rules, sexual harassment isn't tolerated in pretty much any gym, and most gyms will take action if somebody is being unnecessarily boisterous/obnoxious while lifting, throwing weights around, etc. - and they even somehow manage to do it without using a "lunk alarm" to publicly humiliate you in front of the entire gym.

Unless one is going to a real skanky sleazehole of a gym, all the things PF prides itself on not allowing aren't tolerated anywhere. It's not like PF is the only gym that has rules and every other gym is an unregulated jungle of debauchery and bad behavior.

I belonged to a gym that was owned by a bronze medalist in Olympic Weight Lifting. The only weights dropped in his gym were specifically designed to be dropped and they were dropped on a lifting platform.

Anyone throwing or dropping weights in a "look at me" manner was out the door, no second chance. He only had to do it twice.