About the water . . .

Options
64 oz. a day - really? Does all liquid count, like coffee? Any tips on how to get it all in?? I fill a 32 oz. WW mug with water and leave it sit on my desk. Just not a big water drinker - I think because I have to keep running to the bathroom. Is it really that helpful to losing weight??

Replies

• gbell4
    gbell4 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, other liquids do count. The water in food counts too, like in fruits in vegetables. Be careful with coffee and tea though, Too much (4-7 cups a day-so I hear) will have a diuretic effect. It's reccomended to simply have water because if you were to have 8 glasses of soda or juice, or 8 cups of coffe with cream and sugar, you would be taking in a lot of calories.
  • Daffodil64
    Options
    gbell did give you good info.I might add, if you put a capful of lemon juice in the water, it makes it more palatable.
    Be aware that the lemon juice also has a mild diuretic effect!
  • PreciousMissy
    Options
    What has helped me increase my water intake is to take a HUGE swallow every time I think about eating junk food. I was up to 86 oz at one point haha!
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is helpful. But someone should explain why 64 oz water is needed for anyone, no matter size. I weigh twice the weight of my wife so she would be drinking / adding 3% to her body weight, when I was only adding 1.5%. I'm the one who's trying to lose weight, not her. Anyone?
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere that if you need to go to the toilet more than 4 or so times a day, you're drinking too much water. Water is useful in curbing cravings and obviously it's good to be hydrated so your body works at its optimum, but the amounts of water that a lot of people drink (or reccommend drinking) when dieting can be a little excessive.

I think that the 8 glasses rule is the amount of fluid from food/water that is needed for the 'average' person to stay hydrated. Just like how 1800 calories is reccommended as the daily intake for an average woman. Some need more and some need less. It depends on the individual.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is helpful. But someone should explain why 64 oz water is needed for anyone, no matter size. I weigh twice the weight of my wife so she would be drinking / adding 3% to her body weight, when I was only adding 1.5%. I'm the one who's trying to lose weight, not her. Anyone?

Actually a less general way to decide is take your weight and divide by 2, then that is the number of oz you should drink each day, OR until you pee completely clear 2x per day, in the morning doesn't count that will always be yellow.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere that if you need to go to the toilet more than 4 or so times a day, you're drinking too much water. Water is useful in curbing cravings and obviously it's good to be hydrated so your body works at its optimum, but the amounts of water that a lot of people drink (or reccommend drinking) when dieting can be a little excessive.

I think that the 8 glasses rule is the amount of fluid from food/water that is needed for the 'average' person to stay hydrated. Just like how 1800 calories is reccommended as the daily intake for an average woman. Some need more and some need less. It depends on the individual.

Sorry but none of this is true.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It's a generalization, of course. The even bigger problem is people not understanding the difference between getting 64 oz of water a day, and drinking 64 oz of water in addition to other sources of water (other drinks and water in food). It's really crazy the amount of water some people on this site say they drink.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options

Sorry but none of this is true.

Please elaborate. If I am incorrect, I should like to update myself on what the facts are.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water, but I've always been a big water drinker. I say drink as much and as often as you feel comfortable, but know that if your pee isn't clear or if you ever feel thirsty, you're not drinking enough. At that point, you'll have to try to add in more.

Also, I don't like the idea of counting coffee and tea as water - they have caffiene which is a diuretic, and that kinda defeats the purpose of getting hydrated, IMO.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Why should you drink water? Aside from normal bodily functions, it improves digestion and the metabolism of carbs and fats. Something of particular use to you. Your body actually prefers the real unadulterated variety rather than having to process it out of soda, etc.

How much you need to consume is somewhat relative. Wheight, body composition, metabolism, environment, and activity level will all play a role. 64 oz is not unreasonable for most people. However few get it due to preferences and prejudices.

I drink mostly water all the time now rather than other beverages. I do enjoy my two cups of coffee in the morning though. Currently it is not uncommon for me to drink 112 oz or more of water a day currently. I am a 270 lb male who works out 6 days a week and lives in the southern US and it is August (which means high temps and humidity).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't like the idea of counting coffee and tea as water - they have caffiene which is a diuretic, and that kinda defeats the purpose of getting hydrated, IMO.

That's actually a food (or drink) myth. Caffeine can dehydrate you but you'd have to consume more than is in an entire pot of coffee to get that much.
  • infamousmk
    Options

That's actually a food (or drink) myth. Caffeine can dehydrate you but you'd have to consume more than is in an entire pot of coffee to get that much.

Interesting. I still don't like the idea of counting it as water, though. I'm a water traditionalist, and I really do think that people should drink plenty of it, just the way it is. That's just me, though - I know everybody's gotta find what's right for them. Personally, I drink quite a bit of coffee, and if I were to 'swap' even half my coffee for water, I would feel dehydrated. I've been there loads of times.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    there is a podcast by The Nutrition Diva that goes over this, only about 5 minutes.
  • thatdude3
    Options
    Here is a good article regarding water.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Actually a less general way to decide is take your weight and divide by 2, then that is the number of oz you should drink each day, OR until you pee completely clear 2x per day, in the morning doesn't count that will always be yellow.

So you are basically saying that people who weigh more than 200 lbs should drink more than 12.5 cups of water a day? That's crazy!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ummm... just drink alot of water... if you feel dehydrated, you're not drinking enough. I really don't understand why we need to debate the benefits of drinking water... I mean... seriously??

I drink over a gallon a day. Its habitual and not forced. I'm miserable when dehydrated. I drank that much when I was unhealthy. I pee all the time. I've gained alot of weight when eating poorly, not exercising, and drinking lots of water. I've lost alot of weight when eating healthy, exercising, and drinking lots of water.

If you feel sickly by drinking alot of water, then don't drink as much. Am I advocating drinking a gallon a day? No... but drinking alot of water isn't 'bad' for you. Just as I say w/ fruit ("eat the fruit!").... I will say with water "drink the water!"

Seriously folks?? Its pretty simple.
  • infamousmk
    Options

So you are basically saying that people who weigh more than 200 lbs should drink more than 12.5 cups of water a day? That's crazy!

I weight 207 pounds and drink between 16 and 20 eight-ounce glasses of water a day.
  • realitybytez
    Options
    I weight 207 pounds and drink between 16 and 20 eight-ounce glasses of water a day.

not to be rude or contradictory, but the fact that you do this doesn't make it right. in fact, that is far more water than you need.

the average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters a day. you lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. food usually accounts for about 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

for me personally, i have a lot of trouble drinking that much water in the course of a normal day. but my urine is almost always clear or pale yellow, so i know that i'm probably getting enough water.

if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.
  • infamousmk
    Options

not to be rude or contradictory, but the fact that you do this doesn't make it right. in fact, that is far more water than you need.

the average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters a day. you lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. food usually accounts for about 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

for me personally, i have a lot of trouble drinking that much water in the course of a normal day. but my urine is almost always clear or pale yellow, so i know that i'm probably getting enough water.

if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.

Not to be rude, but you shouldn't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say that it's necessary for anyone to drink this much water. I actually said in an earlier post that everyone has to find the right place for them. I am simply sharing with people who think 12-13 glasses of water is crazy, that there are people out there that do it.

I have always drank a lot of water, and for me, personally, this is the amount of water my body feels best with. If your body feels best with less, that's fine by me.

Furthermore, the 'rule of thumb' that one should divide their weight by two, and cosume that number in ounces a day would suggest that I drink 103.5 ounces per day. That is not much less than the 128 I currently drink. Additionally, I live at a higher altitude, which is also a factor in proper hydration.