New pre-menstrual symptoms

Options
Hi all

I guess this is one for the ladies...!

I came off the pill (Microgynon) a couple of months ago having been on it since my late teens; I'm 34 next week. I think I've been one of the lucky few, never really suffered with my periods, depending on each month I might have mid-level cramps, be a bit clumsy or a bit short-tempered but never anything too extreme.

The last couple of months, in the week before my period is due, on a few occasions I've been 10-12 minutes into a run (12km/h pace) and started getting really painful cramps. I was only planning to run for a total of 15 mins as a warm-up, so continued to the end but had to take a breather until they calmed down. It happened to me again yesterday (period due next week) so this morning I tried to avoid it by doing a spin warm-up for 20 minutes and the same thing happened again after about 12 minutes in!

I'm not yet getting cramps in general, it's just happening in the week before my period when I do higher level cardio. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like it's probably quite normal, it's just that it's new to me after all these years!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Symptoms have got worse for me in the last 5 years also... I'm 40 now.

But I've had cramps from exercise too - I ended up in the ER once because of it actually - and I found out that I have ovarian cysts. I would definitely get it checked.

• ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But I've had cramps from exercise too - I ended up in the ER once because of it actually - and I found out that I have ovarian cysts. I would definitely get it checked.

Thank you - my husband actually suggested a few weeks ago that I get checked out (for something else) so I've just had a full gynae check up and got the all clear, so it's not cysts. Sorry to hear you've had such troubles, hope things have calmed down now...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Did you get an ultrasound? That's the only way to see them.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    could be ovulation pain hun x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In my 40s I had a few "functional" cysts that popped while I was running. Super painful in the moment.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that particular brand of birth control, bu if you've been on the pill, it means you haven't been really menstruating since your late teens since withdrawal bleeding you experience on the pill has little to do with true period. You also haven't been ovulating all this time. So you didn't really have a true menstrual cycle and hormonal facturations associated with it. The pill sort off flattens these so the majority of people on the pill don't experience any symptoms of hormonal flactuations. In those who do (which is rare from what I've heard) they are much milder than with a true menstrual cycle. So this explains why you haven't had any major symptoms while on the pill.

Another thing to keep in mind, when you go off the pill, your body goes back to ovulating, your uterus develops endometrium and starts contracting, sometimes with a double force so to speak. So for the first several months (can take up to 6 months I've heard) periods may be more painful and PMS more noticeable. And keep in mind, that you haven't really felt all for this for so long, that it feels stronger. I've heard people say they can literally feel their uterus contracting all the time after going off the pill.

And yes, of course, the PMS symptoms may get stronger with time.

I just recently went off the pill after being on it for 6 years. I haven't got ton my period back yet and no major symptoms so far. We'll see how it goes.

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I was going to mention it reminded me of when I get extra pain from a uterine fibroid shifting around. It is for sure worth getting checked!