Pull Ups

Options
I currently struggle with pull-ups. I couldn't do one if it saved my life lol. What are some simple steps I can take to work my way up to doing at least ONE pull up?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The obvious, keep working at the lat pull downs with increasing weight, but sounds like you're on the right track. Every single day attempt at least one pull up.

Once you can do a pull up, you can do basically infinite pull ups with enough reset in between so do just that. Work your way up to a 5x5 (five sets five reps each) type of situation.

It takes time, a lot of upper body strength, and your over all weight has a big impact. Just keep trying and you'll get there. My current back workout is basically 80+ pull ups of varying grips.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Lat Pulldowns, Bent over Rows, Inverted Pull Ups (bar in squat rack, lay below it, pull body (chest) up to the bar, pivot on ankles) Resistance band Pull Ups, Seat Rows, Individual Cable Pull Downs, Negative Pull ups, start already up and Slowly lower yourself to a box, jump back up, repeat.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice already given, try static holds and use an assistband or step at first. But dead hang at the bottom. Then step up to the top and just hold the top position, then try the middle that'll be the toughest. Just hang on for dear life in those positions.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me use a Bosu ball to assist. I put it on the floor under the bar. The bar is high enough above my head that I still have to pull myself up, but my toes hit the Bosu ball for a momentum assist on every rep. I just keep raising the height of the bar so that I get less of an assist as I progress.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pull up assist aid. I made one with resistance bands. I do as many as I can without it then do a few more assisted. Helped me, after a month or two I was able to ditch it.
  • sramgirl
    sramgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've started to do dead hangs. My current weight is 228 with an end goal of 138. Hopefully, the weight shift will aid in my attempt to do at least 8 consecutive unassisted pull ups.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sramgirl wrote: »
    I've started to do dead hangs. My current weight is 228 with an end goal of 138. Hopefully, the weight shift will aid in my attempt to do at least 8 consecutive unassisted pull ups.
    Going from 204 to 193 has made a big difference in my pull-ups (gone from 6 sets of 7 to 6 sets of 10), so yeah, they should get a LOT easier.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice already given, try static holds and use an assistband or step at first. But dead hang at the bottom. Then step up to the top and just hold the top position, then try the middle that'll be the toughest. Just hang on for dear life in those positions.

This. Negatives and holding at all the separate points before you can link it all together
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One of the things coupled with lack of.strength that makes pull ups difficult for some people is a high body weight.

If you plan on losing weight in the long term, I would just continue to train and lose weight and eventually it will happen.

I usually don't recommend anyone off of youtube, but Scooby made a vid with some decent content that you might find useful.

https://youtu.be/mRznU6pzez0
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Inverted rows are also a good way to work up to pull-ups (can be done on a TRX or smith machine easily).
    Another bit more complicated method is to use resistance bands to off-set bodyweight (more easily done using an assisted pull-up machine though)
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Use other exercises to strengthen the lats. Do pullups as a hold, where you pullup as far as you can and hold it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Let me add: Don't stress about it and work up slowly so you don't injure yourself.

I avoid pull-ups because for some reason they don't agree with my (aging) shoulders. So I do various pull-downs with 90lbs max at the gym. I also use resistance bands. It keeps me plenty strong!
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Others gave better advice than mine, but I'll chime in. One of my adult goals was to do one pull up. I lost 25 pounds and Nordic walk almost every day, and I can do pull ups unassisted now.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I used the assisted pull-up machine as well as doing negatives. It took me about a year to be able to do one unassisted pull-up.

Now I can do 10 unassisted, and 4 with 25 lbs added.

Yep this. Start on the assisted machine or use bands, then do negatives ( as in - jump up there to the top of the bar and hold and sloooooowwwwlyyyyy lower yourself down)

That's also how I started and now can do unassisted and weighted.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Aussie pull-ups or lean back with your feet on a chair (same idea)
    Lotsa negatives or static active holds
    Push-ups to strengthen the muscles, both regular and wide
    Pull up with your back engaged and not just your arms
    There are several good tutorials on YouTube for working up to a pull up.

I never thought I’d ever be able to do one. Now I do several a day; I keep my bar handy and pull up every time I walk past.

You can do this!!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Aussie pull-ups

Somebody on Reddit just used this term today, that was the first time I've heard it before. I always called them inverted rows, but that has a ring to it.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You have some good advice. Work toward it and you will get there. I am old and worked toward doing pushups. Every day that I go the gym, I do no less that 30 pullups in 2 sets.. First set is at leat 20.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat :) I just ordered one of these to use with my cheap door hinge pull up bar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJN944K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to be working well but we'll see..