Night binging

Options
Are there any groups available for night binging discussions. I do great all day long, but when it comes to the evening hours or time to go to bed, I lose control. Just wondering if there was a group for that.

Replies

• tinafaye13
    tinafaye13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any groups but I had this issue too. I started doing my walking in the evenings. This has helped a lot. It makes me not want to sabatoge what I just did. I also don't keep junk food in the house anymore. Hope this might help.
  • _calmjam
    _calmjam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I like the idea of walking in the evenings, I think this would help suggested it too. Right now its very cold weather where I am, so I'm a little reluctant.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem too. I found it was due to a number of things.

1. Habit. Food with TV, food as boredom relief. Solution: find other more productive ways to spend my time.
    2. Alcohol. Drinking gave me the munchies. Solution: I quit drinking, but alternatively you could cut drinking down to Special Occasions only.
    3. Legit hunger. Two solutions: make sure I'm eating enough earlier in the day and paying attention to my protein, fiber and fats so that I'm well nourished so I don't feel a need to gnaw my arm off at dinner and afterwards. Second part of this solution, I now go to bed within three hours after dinner or I save a couple hundred calories for a late snack if I have to stay up later.

Play around with different meals and different macro breakdowns and different times of eating. There is a solution, get out there and find it. If there is a lot of stress in your life, maybe consider yoga, therapy or meditation...or solving the source of the stress!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Is this you? Folks try to impose the most strict eating austerity plan they can think of, make it through the day but can’t get through the evening when they are tired and hungry. Then define the problem as eating at night.

I’ve always saved about 7% of my calories for evening snacks that I try to work like this. I plan my ice cream snack for a bit after 8 pm. If it’s a frozen treat, I’ve experimented with it. Breyers No Sugar Added is my current pick. All weighed and counted. Then I save about another 70+ calories until just before bed.

Why this plan? I find my attempts at closing the kitchen all evening to be anxiety producing. But without a plan, I’d start snacking right after dinner. Waiting until 8 just makes it a matter of delay. Much easier to manage than just say no. Likewise my bedtime snack. A lot of nights I don’t eat that one. But knowing it’s there if I want it calms me down. Much better for my before bed routine.

I’ve lost 100+lbs and maintained for years like this. A good plan is a plan you will actually follow. Keep tinkering until you find a solution. The answer is out there somewhere.
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    under the challenges section , there is a challenge you verus LNS( late night snacking ) : you can join & put : u: 1:LNS:0 run streak : 1 for instance . that may help ?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It helps me if I brush my teeth after dinner. It puts me in a mental mindset of being done with eating for the day.

I’ve also purged my apartment of snack foods (except the ones my husband likes but I don’t). So if I want to eat it’s going to involve cooking which I usually can’t be bothered with just for nighttime snacking.

You may also want to consider how you are distributing your calories throughout the day. Are you actually hungry at night? Maybe you need to have more calories at dinner or save yourself some calories for an evening snack.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find drinking tea really helps. My cupboard is stocked so I always have variety of teas