how to tell when you're hungry

Options
i know this sounds stupid but i have a hard time knowing when i'm really hungry. for the most part i eat out of boredom or stress. my first meal of the day is the only time i can tell when i need food, but after that it feels like boredom binging. should i only eat one meal a day.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    if you want to eat all your calories in one meal, and think it will help you stick to your calorie goal then go for it. as long as you can fit all your macros - it may be difficult to get enough protein, depending on what your goal is?

It also isn’t the most optimal way of doing things though and what if opie is ravenous 12 hours later before bed....
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can only tell if I’m hungry if I’m in pain. That sounds bad but I’m not a big eater. I don’t snack around or eat out of boredom, so I eat when my body yells at me to eat.
  • newtnest
    newtnest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    I struggle with a similar issue. I am often not sure if I'm hungry or not. I often feel this uncomfortable hollow-like sensation in my stomach which feels like hunger, but I know I've eaten a decent-sized meal an hour or two ago, so I tell myself I can't be hungry even though it's uncomfortable. Maybe it's how digestion/stomach emptying feels? Sometimes if I distract myself it passes. Other times it doesn't.

Hunger is supposed to feel like an uncomfortable emptiness in the stomach, which gradually turns into spasms and stomach growling. I've heard that one way to tell if you're hungry, is that hunger is increasing gradually. And if you wait out and the feeling passes, then it's not hunger. But I think that it can be more complicated than that.

But one thing I've noticed over time is that there are different types (or levels) of hunger. Stomach hollowness, contractions and growling for me is a superficial type of hunger which simply means there's no food in your stomach. It's pretty easy to tolerate. But when I'm in a large calorie deficit, I can satisfy the superficial hunger with small meals, but my body knows I'm in a calorie deficit, so overtime I develop this generalized hunger, not sure how to describe it but it's a dull sensation which I feel everywhere in my body and which makes me think about food constantly and is very difficult to ignore. My energy levels also go down. This is when I know that my deficit is too aggressive.

There's also hormonal hunger, which is probably the most annoying. I struggle with it a lot. It comes in steaks of several days where I just feel an overwhelming drive to eat non-stop. And even if my stomach is full, I still feel as if I'm hungry. It's incredibly annoying.

THIS!! I feel exactly the same way. This difficult part for me is prior to me actually paying attention to what I was eating, it was a free-for-all. If I felt "munchy" I'd eat. I'd never stop to think about it. I've found what helps is eating enough of the right things throughout the day. If I eat my 8-10 servings of veggies and fruit for example, I think the fiber really makes a difference. But since I'm just getting started (again) I'm feeling all of the "symptoms" too. I'm hoping that once I get a few weeks in, my brain will start paying attention and it'll get better lol
  • newtnest
    Options
    EloiseBean wrote: »
    i know this sounds stupid but i have a hard time knowing when i'm really hungry. for the most part i eat out of boredom or stress. my first meal of the day is the only time i can tell when i need food, but after that it feels like boredom binging. should i only eat one meal a day.

Have you tried doing a version of IF for a week or so? it helped me see the difference between "I'm hungry and my belly is making noise" and "I feel like eating something to stay awake during this movie"

Dumb question. Does IF stand for something? Or is it just "if I'm hungry. Lol thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    newtnest wrote: »

Have you tried doing a version of IF for a week or so? it helped me see the difference between "I'm hungry and my belly is making noise" and "I feel like eating something to stay awake during this movie"

Dumb question. Does IF stand for something? Or is it just "if I'm hungry. Lol thanks

"Intermittent Fasting." It's a practice where people only eat during a specific part of the day, like fasting for sixteen hours and only eating during eight (that's an example, people have different "eating windows").
  • newtnest
    Options
    newtnest wrote: »

"Intermittent Fasting." It's a practice where people only eat during a specific part of the day, like fasting for sixteen hours and only eating during eight (that's an example, people have different "eating windows").

Thank-you :)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I can only tell if I’m physically hungry at the point where I get cold and start shaking. Everything else is mental hunger signals, which half the time are just boredom.

So... I’ve given up trying to tell the difference betwen my brain being truthful about hunger and it lying like a cheap Persian rug. Instead I just eat by the numbers, most of the time.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of having a glass of water, tea, etc. To see maybe that will quiet your stomach and or brain down from thinking it might be hungry. Also going for a walk or some form exercise is another good idea. One thing I was wondering about is if you have put all of the info into MFP so you know how many calories ideally you should consume per day. And still lose per week how you plan to. Are you tracking how many calories you are eating in that first big meal of the day, when you say you know you are hungry then? How often are you actually eating per day now?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry it hurts, it’s actually painful. Next usually comes the feeling of light headed and shaky. Anything other than that and I know I’m not actually hungry.