TRUE Calories Burned?

Options
Is there something I can buy that I can wear at the gym or when I run to tell me how many calories I've actually burned. I've been using MFP's database to guess but I'd much prefer knowing the exact number.

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Get an Heart rate monitor but the most accurate would be a bodybugg(this you were 24hrs).
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    A heart rate monitor does just that. Polar makes good ones, you should check them out.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of a HRM either. I have seen the body bugg on biggest loser but I dont want something that I have to wear 24/7...and I dont really want to spend that kind of money either. Any suggestion on a good quality HRM?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor does not measure exact calorie burn. It gives you an estimate. It uses equations based on your biofeedback, but it does not give you exact calories burned.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    if you do running..Garmin makes AWESOME ones that count calories and tell you about your pace and distance. There is an online tool where you can track progress. I use a Garmin Forerunner 405 cx for the gym and for my runs...its awesome! Pricey, but very worth it!
  • MandaLen13
    Options

A heart rate monitor does not measure exact calorie burn. It gives you an estimate. It uses equations based on your biofeedback, but it does not give you exact calories burned.

Would it be better to use a HRM than to keep using MFP's database? I dont want to waste my money but I also dont like feeling iffy about the workouts I've done...
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    if you do running..Garmin makes AWESOME ones that count calories and tell you about your pace and distance. There is an online tool where you can track progress. I use a Garmin Forerunner 405 cx for the gym and for my runs...its awesome! Pricey, but very worth it!

Thank You! I'll look into the Garmin products!! I do run alot so that sounds like it would be perfect for me!
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of HRMs before I joined this site either. I live in the real world... I have no idea if they work well or not but I can't afford one, so that's that. Estimates are good enough for me right now - I'm losing weight, that's what matters. Good luck:)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of a HRM either. I have seen the body bugg on biggest loser but I dont want something that I have to wear 24/7...and I dont really want to spend that kind of money either. Any suggestion on a good quality HRM?

You can get good, cheap ones on Amazon. Make sure you get one that has a separate chest strap. The ones that measure you only at the wrist are less effective, though all of them have the potential to over-estimate the number of calories burned.

I use my HRM to measure my heart rate first, and as a calorie counter second. Whatever the HRM reports, I cut that in half for what I put in MFP. It's very difficult for any machine to be precise about these things.

See this "review of reviews" web site:

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/best-heart-rate-monitors

All the best...
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If you run, Garmin is a good brand. Polar is another good one. Any HRM with a chest strap would be more accurate. If you work out in a gym, make sure you purchase one that is "coded". This prevents your HRM from picking up the signal of another person exercising near you.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    No, such a thing has yet to be invented. Feel free to ignore all and any heart rate monitor threads...

No need to be a douche.. I had never heard of a HRM before this site. Some people are just new to the fitness world and need help.
    *Edit* JERK.

Some people forget that they didn't know everything about fitness and eating prior to joining MFP...
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Would it be better to use a HRM than to keep using MFP's database? I dont want to waste my money but I also dont like feeling iffy about the workouts I've done...

I've heard that they tend to be more accurate than the MFP website, but just know that any number you get, is an estimate, no matter where it comes from.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

It would be better to use an HRM... by far. Start a thread that says "Whats Better? MFP Exercise Database or HRM"... and you'll see 100's of results that vote for the HRM. The heart rate monitor does just that. It takes your pulse throughout your exercise. Unless you're going to stick your fingers on your neck the entire workout, it is the best way to figure calorie burn unless someone has a different suggestion??

I have a Polar FT7, but it can be pricey depending on what 'pricey' means to you. There are other good, cheaper ones out there so hopefully others will have some suggestions. The garmins are usually pricey as well. Hope that helps.
  • Erin_1981
    Erin_1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys - Just a heads up about HRMs (Physio therapist) - They SHOULD give you a much more accurate calorie count then either the treadmill or the values on this site. A HRM will calculate your use based on your weight and heart rate you exercise at rather then just the activity, your weight, and the time.

Example: My sister and I weigh the same and run together at the same pace for 45 minutes. She is a runner and it is MUCH easier for her (her heart rate is 145 while mine stays around 175) so she will burn less calories then I will. Eventually, running the same pace for the same time, my heart rate will go down and I will have to run faster or longer (or up a hill) to burn the same number of calories. SO: it is always better to use your heart rate in caloric use calculations.

And another really important note: Garmin's are excellent for pace and distance, BUT, they calculate your caloric use based on your distance, weight, and pace (like the treadmill and this site) rather then your heart rate, so not very accurate. IE you ride a bike down hill (no pedaling) and the Garmin calculates your use as if you were.

Recommendation: Get a Timex or Polar HRM if you are interested in calories and general fitness and a Garmin if you are trying to go faster or further.
  • melmck2011
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar HRM the ft4 from amazon for $63. Polar makes some of the best hrm and this one tells you your calorie count too.