Depression

Options
Hi all,
This is a subject, which I am afraid to talk of. I never used to think much of it until it affected me.

I am currently going through personal issues. I won't be afraid to admit but I have had scary thoughts.

It is a very sensitive topic. I am thinking of getting help but if i go to the doctor, they will simply give m3 medication.

I don't want that because it can change a person.

I hope this does not get take by admin

Replies

• AnneUT
    AnneUT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Since you're having scary thoughts, don't forget about those phone numbers where you can immediately talk to someone who can help you. That will help in the meantime while you wait for a doctor's appointment. I think you can text 741741 for help. God bless.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    As a person that suffers from borderline personality disorder, depression and anxiety - I can relate but I think you should speak to your doctor they will most likely do a test to see where you are on a scale of 1-10 and you can always see a mental health councillor and medication may be prescribed - there is absolutely no shame in taking medication to help balance your brain chemistry!
    Hugs and all the best!

Thank you, I have a doctor appointment soon. I am afraid to say that I suffer with depression.

I have had it on and off. My mood changes. It is very unsettling
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel pressured to take medication. I agree with you. If you don't want to take it, tell them! There's plenty of alternatives :)
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Struggled with it for some 40 years. Tried medications. Nothing seemed to cure it.

Until I stumbled on this book and did some of the exercises and that helped a great deal:
    David Burns, MD., "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy"
    (https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-New-Mood-Therapy/dp/0380810336/ref=sr_1_1)

Best wishes for improving health and happiness in 2019!
    -S
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It is a very sensitive topic. I am thinking of getting help but if i go to the doctor, they will simply give m3 medication.

I don't want that because it can change a person.

The aforementioned "Feeling Good" is a self help book that's been around for decades; Burns is a cognitive therapist. You might ask for a referral for a therapist who does cognitive therapy; many cases of depression respond well to that method of treatment. The therapist can do an evaluation and determine whether a referral to a psychiatrist for meds may be helpful; for some who are severely depressed, medications can get them to the point where therapy can help. The fact that you're asking here is a positive sign.

If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in immediate crisis, call 911 or other emergency number at your location. You can reach the National Suicide Prevention Hotline in the United States by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Befriender’s Worldwide also offers crisis services throughout the world. You can search by your country of origin at their site for crisis lines.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have a doctor appointment soon. I am afraid to say that I suffer with depression.

I have had it on and off. My mood changes. It is very unsettling

There are a number of possible root causes of depression (seasonal, situational, medical, existential, etc), and an evaluation by a mental health professional can help him/her determine the best course of action in your case. I suggest going beyond your family doctor, who doesn't have the in-depth training in psychological-based problems that a mental help professional (psychologist, clinical counselor, psychiatrist, etc.) does.

• moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you can’t make your own serotonin, store bought is fine!
    Get sunshine, drink water, move your body. Sleep at the same time every night, wake up at the same time every morning. These won’t turn back time but they make a HUGE difference.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,067 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Sorry I could not get back to you all. I was at work.

I appreciate all the help, I will be discussing it with my doctor.

I was afraid but reading the comments here, I think I should not be afraid.

Definitely don't be afraid! Although I know the feeling, I had post partum depression and I had to tell my doctor. I won't lie I burst into tears thinking they would take my baby away because I wasn't coping but the doctor reassured me that I was a good mum because I recognised there was a problem and I was trying to fix it for everyone's sake.

There's nothing wrong about having something wrong!

As for the medication, I've tried 3 different ones, one was too weak on the highest dose, one was too strong on the lowest dose (felt wired) and the one I'm on now is fine.
    Ive not changed as a person,my brain doesn't produce enough serotonin so it just boosts it. If anything Im just more level headed and rational. I still get angry and upset about things, I'm not numb to my feelings, it's just like being normal again.

But I found that the CBT helped the most.