Food for ADD

Options
Does anyone know of some foods I could eat that would help with ADD. I don't want to go on medicine but am looking for a more natural remedy. :)

Replies

• kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Caffeine helps me! And plenty of carbs for that fast working brain of yours!!

Edit: Obviously healthy carbs like fruits and whole grains!! ;)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Omega-3 helps with brain function =] sooo flax seed and fish
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    going gluten free has helped a lot of kids with ADD, eating a diet higher in protein helps. And no, I can't send the links for the studies, I did the research years ago when i was diagnosed. Sorry, but google it!
  • britneeb23
    Options
    I heard having protein in the morning helps, limit the refined sugar because when you come down from the sugar high your mind will be mush. Whole grains help and caffiene is great too!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps a lot.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I work with a lot of children and adults with ADD where I'm a nutritionist. Don't have time right now, but I'll send you a message with a really great food plan, I promise!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    omega 3 fish oils - that's the only thing that really helps me food wise, but i take meds!
  • britneeb23
    Options
    Exercise helps a lot.

I agree, definitely get plenty of exercise, it works wonders for me!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I work with a lot of children and adults with ADD where I'm a nutritionist. Don't have time right now, but I'll send you a message with a really great food plan, I promise!

Thanks so much!
  • Izable2011
    Options
    Exercise helps a lot.

I agree, definitely get plenty of exercise, it works wonders for me!

I have found that exercise helps me too & a lot!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Caffiene, exercise, pretty clean eating.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I eat pretty well like 90% of the time and still on occasion OH WAIT I gotta check my email now
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old has been recently diagnosed. If you don't mind, I would love it if you could send me the food plan, too. So far, we are just trying to eliminate the junk food and a lot of the processed food. We also make an effort to have protein at every meal.
  • Izable2011
    Options
    I dunno, I eat pretty well like 90% of the time and still on occasion OH WAIT I gotta check my email now

lol!
  • Fatemeh_59
    Fatemeh_59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Please send a message to me, too. I am suffering from it also. Thanks a lot :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think there is research indicating that a lot of ADHD can be attributed to food sensitivities (I think this was what I heard: http://www.npr.org/2011/03/12/134456594/study-diet-may-help-adhd-kids-more-than-drugs). Instead of adding more foods, you might want to try an elimination diet where you eliminate foods that common "irritants" like gluten and dairy. You might be interested in reading more about the "paleo" way of eating. Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution advocates eliminating grains, legumes and dairy for 30 days to see how you feel and then, selectively, adding things back in to see how you react.

That's, of course, just one suggestion. You would want to do your own more in depth research but, in general, I do think that a LOT of things that we take medication for can be helped by dietary changes.
  • infamousmk
    Options

*LIKE*
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're right in that there is some evidence for diet increasing brain function. If you're interested in a summary of the empirical evidence, please read this article: http://www.ibp.ucla.edu/research/gomezpinilla/publications/nrn2421.pdf. However, do not underestimate the importance of medication and therapy for long term improvement of ADHD symptomotology.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    My 8 year old has been recently diagnosed. If you don't mind, I would love it if you could send me the food plan, too. So far, we are just trying to eliminate the junk food and a lot of the processed food. We also make an effort to have protein at every meal.

My daughter was diagnosed at age 6. One of the worst offenders for her was pepperoni. Something about cured meats just set her off like you would not believe. We went almost completely 'clean' after her diagnosis and it really helped a lot. Of course, medication was also needed, but some of the completely outrageous mood shifts were definitely affected by her diet.
  • Izable2011
    Options
    You're right in that there is some evidence for diet increasing brain function. If you're interested in a summary of the empirical evidence, please read this article: http://www.ibp.ucla.edu/research/gomezpinilla/publications/nrn2421.pdf. However, do not underestimate the importance of medication and therapy for long term improvement of ADHD symptomotology.

Thank you! :flowerforyou: