Exercise and Chronic pain

Options
What exercise do those of you with chronic pain do?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    My chronic pain is arthritis in my feet.

I walk, run, hike, cycle, climb stairs at work, lift weights, and occasionally do other things like canoeing, swimming, etc.
  • angie6491
    angie6491 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks
  • Cloverdoll
    Cloverdoll Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My chronic pain is Fibro & Sacroiliitis, the easiest for me is swimming. Yoga (or at least my attempts at it), step aerobics, and walking are my other choices but I don't last nearly as long as swimming.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 with OA. I too vote swimming, acquagym, gym, light yoga and walking. It can change your life.
  • Chappellll
    Chappellll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    there is an exercise video called "plus size" aerobics, and it's low impact but effective. i have polymyositis and in pain daily, but this exercise helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Well, "chronic pain" is a pretty broad descriptor...have you talked to a doctor or physical therapist?

Some chronic pain is helped by exercising that body part with specific movements and some chronic pain should not be exercised through.
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My chronic pain is in my back and right arm — I have pinched nerves in my neck. I have found regular chiropractic care keeps the pain manageable but when it’s flared up I walk, hike, bike, ride horses (no jumping when I’m in a flare up) and focus more on my lower body. I’ve found the more I move the better I tend to feel.

So like mentioned before it really depends on your chronic pain.
  • angie6491
    angie6491 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, "chronic pain" is a pretty broad descriptor...have you talked to a doctor or physical therapist?

Some chronic pain is helped by exercising that body part with specific movements and some chronic pain should not be exercised through.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My chronic pain is fibromyalgia. I walk, cycle, and swim
  • HeidiRReed
    HeidiRReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My chronic pain is a torn rotator cuff and I do at home workouts from Beach Body. Any shoulder, chest or back work I modify using a very light band, or no weights, or I trade out for similar exercises that don’t stress my injury. I have been seeing a physiotherapist for years who has helped me come up with different options that still allow me to exercise and also help me strengthen the muscles surrounding my shoulder to try and decreases pain.