What do you *not* typically eat in a day

Options
whitej1234
whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
So, the internet is full of those "What I eat in a day" threads, that show these perfectly healthy food combinations of home made healthy whole foods. The problem is that most days of my life and I assume yours as well are not "typical". I don't have a regime that lasts more then 2-3 weeks in a row ant max.

You know, that time you had a work trip for 4 days that included out hotel breakfasts, business lunches and evening social events. Or the holiday season started and you are hosting and you can't just serve "healthy foods" because kids are around or people who don't really care about health and you don't feel like forcing your ways on. Or much smaller events but routine ones e.g. weekends at your parent/relative/spouses parents/picnic/birthdays/other social events. All of those "one time" and "cheat" events where you balance out between being healthy and not being rude/unpractical but keeps happening at least one or two times a week. All of those events tend to be my deal breakers when they stop being actually a one-time event in a row. When I find myself in this spin for a long period that might have not even affected my weight too much (managed to maintain, stayed healthy, required a lot of movements anyway so it balanced out) I still find myself fighting hard to go back to my routine until the next thing happens and then I break. And the "diet" routine is tougher then the "maintaining" routine in terms of restrictions (not in terms of staying there for life this *is* tough), so the limitations you need to get back to do not include these indulgences.

Those of you who have been in this for a long run (a few month at least), how do you maintain a steady weight loss pace when life gets in the way (and it always does)?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If I’m traveling for fun, there’s usually physical activity involved, like hiking or walking around a city. That helps offset extra calories. For work travel, I attempt to fit in walks if I can.

If I’m hosting people, I cook what I want to cook. If they don’t want to eat it, they can bring something to contribute or take advantage of someone else’s hospitality.

Routine social events need to fit into your calorie goal, whether that means saving calories for the weekend, eating smaller portions at those events, etc. The key is not viewing those as “special” and therefore excuses to overeat. If it happens every week, it is not a special meal.

I don’t know what you mean by a “manumitting” routine. That seems like a very odd way to describe how one eats.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    whitej1234 wrote: »
    Those of you who have been in this for a long run (a few month at least), how do you maintain a steady weight loss pace when life gets in the way (and it always does)?

Portion-control and maintaining my distraction is how I've steadily dropped weight to be body-ready by the 22nd of next month.
    What do you *not* typically eat in a day

I prefer to eat out of a 10 oz cereal bowl or less than what my bread plate etc (ie < or = 8 oz serving) will allow at a time but for the other major source of my day's allotment of calories, rarely exceeding more than what fits my dinner plate, is how I go about what I'll typically NOT eat in a day.
  • whitej1234
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

If I’m traveling for fun, there’s usually physical activity involved, like hiking or walking around a city. That helps offset extra calories. For work travel, I attempt to fit in walks if I can.
    It is not the offset that is the problem is the fact that you spent a week+ eating things that you deprived yourself from (overly fatty, overly sweet). And then it is extra hard to stop eating them again when you are back home and not moving as much.
    If I’m hosting people, I cook what I want to cook. If they don’t want to eat it, they can bring something to contribute or take advantage of someone else’s hospitality.

Routine social events need to fit into your calorie goal, whether that means saving calories for the weekend, eating smaller portions at those events, etc. The key is not viewing those as “special” and therefore excuses to overeat. If it happens every week, it is not a special meal.
    Agree
    I don’t know what you mean by a “manumitting” routine. That seems like a very odd way to describe how one eats.

This was "maintaining", spelling mistakes- sorry. Fixed in original post.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The only thing I don't eat is portions that put me over my calories. I do try to avoid drinking calories too but I tend to enjoy plenty of zero calorie drinks. I weigh everything I can when available and when I'm out of the house, for whatever reason, and can't then I pay attention to portions sizes.

I still eat fatty, overly sweet foods as part of my regular diet while still hitting my protein goals and having a varied, generally healthy diet. I lost 25 lbs doing this about five years ago and have maintained since with no issues. I agree with apullum, deciding foods you like are foods you're not allowed to eat makes for a slippery slope and is a key cause in yo-yoing.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My life and my routine don't revolve around food. When I travel or am away from my place, I eat more adventurous stuff but it's not like certain things are off the menu just because I'm home.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I made a point of learning how to eat the foods I enjoy in the right portion sizes while I was losing weight, so I eat treat foods regularly and they don't throw me off track. I do try to eat more veg, fruit, whole grains, lean protein now then i used to, but still fit in all the tempting stuff. It made my transition into maintenance pretty easy too.

Honestly, I think if pretty much every week you are running into situations that make it difficult to stay on plan, then you've picked the wrong plan. Eating right and staying healthy shouldn't be a major challenge, but I think a lot of people take too much of the current pop fad health/wellness/fitness culture to heart, and think being healthy is some kind of tightrope balancing act.

I rarely find myself in situations where I have no choice but to eat nothing but heavy, calorie dense, sugary foods. I might eat a little more indulgently on vacation or if treated to a fancy restaurant, but those are few and far between. Family celebrations, chain restaurants, work parties... are usually just a smidge different than my usual fare an calorie goals.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The one thing that is absolutely wont eat is anything fried. It makes me seriously sick to my stomach.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Typically not:
    Avocado toast
    I think I tried it once and decided bucket lists weren't worth it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    It is not the offset that is the problem is the fact that you spent a week+ eating things that you deprived yourself from (overly fatty, overly sweet). And then it is extra hard to stop eating them again when you are back home and not moving as much.
    And therein lies your problem. I don't tell myself that I can't eat XYZ thing with regards to weight loss - I log it and get on with my life. I might not eat half a pint of ice cream (I don't want to eat that much ice cream) and I don't eat fried food on a regular basis, but I don't ban it from my diet. I would argue that the sausage I get when I go to my German conversation group has more calories than I wish it did, so I don't eat that sausage on a regular basis. I eat it twice a month at most.

While I don't know how much or how little I gained over Thanksgiving I don't imagine it was a lot because I exercised moderation. I had probably 6oz of roasted turkey breast, one very small roll (that was the one thing I wanted more of), a small amount of mashed potatoes, what looked like half a cup of roasted yams, a small slice of celebration loaf (tasted like stuffing and we didn't have that), homemade cranberry sauce, a scoop of ice cream and a small slice of strawberry rhubarb pie. Outside of that I think I had a scone and an almond milk latte for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, and had rowed for 45ish min that morning.

The one really abnormal thing this week is that I've ordered take out more than usual because I'm house sitting. Even then it's been a matter of portion control. I knew that I could easily make two meals out of the two chicken kabobs, the massive amount of rice, and too much pita that I ordered yesterday and that's exactly what I did.

So to really answer your question of, "how do you maintain a steady weight loss pace when life gets in the way (and it always does)?" - with life getting in the way being, not having the opportunity to do as much cooking as normal. I exercise portion control. I try to get in some physical activity but that's not always possible - it totally was this week, in a pretty major way, it won't be in the same way when I go to Atlanta for a conference (though I will be walking significantly more).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Tonight I shall be having Quorn nuggets, chips and beans followed by some halo top

It's all weighed and fits in my daily calories

Tomorrow I'm making a cheese and tomato tart. Again my portion will be weighed and will fit in my daily calories
  • whitej1234
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers they are very insightful.
    I understand the concept of "there are no forbidden foods" as long as you eat them in moderate. But am I the only one with the weakness of not being able to stop myself from those foods so I prefer to not try them at all?

I mean for example I've learned that it takes me a few days of complete no sugar food to stop craving sweets in big amounts, these are tough 3-4 days but when they are done I don't crave sugar any more (I can still enjoy a piece of chocolate but it is not the same). Then I can have a bit here in there the so called moderation. But a few of these parties where I "had" to take that extra slice of cake to not offend the host/really good restaurant where you have to try/sharing desert so you take a scoop, in a row and here goes my ability to control my portions out the window.

Am I doing it wrong with moderation here?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    People are different.

I find that I can moderate when I'm being mindful about my diet overall and save sweets (or any other dessert, including cheese) for a measured amount after dinner. I don't eat something for dessert every day since I don't want to think I need something after dinner.

Having a little something at a party doesn't affect what I will have later at home, usually it's something special not available at home.

I often wonder if these reactions are because people tell themselves a day is spoiled/off the diet/shouldn't count once you eat a little something you don't ordinarily, so the feeling kicks in to make the most of it since after tomorrow no more ever again (or for a long time). That's something I'm prone to.

On the other hand, some people can snack a bit during the day and be fine, and if I start snacking I'll usually have a hard time stopping. So you find what works for you.

What do I typically not eat in a day? Most foods, since there's only so many foods you can eat in a day. It varies from day to day and doesn't mean I avoid those foods, they might just get pushed out by the foods I choose to eat.

Foods I do eat most days: eggs, lots of vegetables (especially seasonal when foods are in season), and then it just depends. Usually some dairy (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, feta), nuts, some kind of meat, some kind of starch (ideally some beans or lentils), some fruit, but more in the summer than winter.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    For some levity:

Beets. I never eat beets.

Seriously, I find that there are some things I can keep in the house and moderate and some things I have to selectively moderate by enjoying them either somewhere else as a one-off, or buying a single serving size every now and then.

I also, like lemurcat, find it easier to stick to some sort of schedule, though mine includes a scheduled protein snack. I have two schedules I stick to, they vary depending on whether I'm hungry in the morning or not. I find the schedule to be the most helpful thing and having a general idea what I'll be eating at my scheduled times to be helpful too.

As for everything else? Yeah, what lemurcat said, except I don't eat meat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I limit or abstain from foods that tend to derail me (or lead me to get derailed). So for ME that's primarily heavily refined carb foods, package convenience foods, hyper palatable foods etc. For me the key is limiting that set of carby foods.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy bakery treats. The occasional cake pop (if Starbucks lists them at 170 calories and they're the high end of the database range, I figure my local bakery's are comparable and I can make one of those fit). Otherwise, I find I haven't got the calories available. (I'm on 1360 calories pre-exercise to lose 1/2lb per week. An apple or cherry turnover is 600. One of their 6" chocolate-chocolate chip cookies is 310. Realistically speaking, I'm not sure I'll be able to eat half and put away the rest for another day.)

Also, the snacks like veggie straws and pop chips that are basically carbs and salt. I'm focused on hitting my protein and iron, so while I still eat them on occasion, I find that I'm passing them by in favor of roasted chickpeas or Simply Protein chips. Occasionally some dry cereal that gives me 30% of my iron RDA in 30 grams.