What do you *not* typically eat in a day

2»

Replies

• Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    I rarely buy bakery treats.

Same. 'Twas a sad day indeed when I realized Starbucks blueberry scones are 460 calories!!
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    I don't drink anything other than water or plain tea or plain coffee while I'm eating at a calorie deficit. I find that I'm happiest and most energetic when all my calories come from nutrient-dense foods, rather than from something I drink. I have never liked artificial sweeteners, so am not interested in the zero-calorie sodas. Also, it's easy to socialize while drinking seltzer water or coffee, without drawing attention to what I'm (not) eating.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I typically do not drink my calories. I don't eat fast food very often, either. Just not my thing. I cook most of my own meals - tastier and healthier.
  • georgelapenta76
    georgelapenta76 Posts: 43 Member
    I do not eat fast food, and have managed to wean myself off of ice cream. I haven't had any in a couple of months.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I don't eat the things that I don't like or make me sick, and foods that are not worthy wasting calories on (garlic, anything with cinnamon, raw onions, too many sweets, chocolate, fast food, pasta, heavy sauces, smoothies, bagels, donuts, fried foods {with the exception of sharing on occasion french fries or sweet potatoes fries}, cocktails, beer, gravies, etc).
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I don’t have any forbidden foods. I’m gluten free due to celiac, and need to be strict with it. Other than that the only foods I won’t eat are those I don’t like.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    whitej1234 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your answers they are very insightful.
    I understand the concept of "there are no forbidden foods" as long as you eat them in moderate. But am I the only one with the weakness of not being able to stop myself from those foods so I prefer to not try them at all?

I mean for example I've learned that it takes me a few days of complete no sugar food to stop craving sweets in big amounts, these are tough 3-4 days but when they are done I don't crave sugar any more (I can still enjoy a piece of chocolate but it is not the same). Then I can have a bit here in there the so called moderation. But a few of these parties where I "had" to take that extra slice of cake to not offend the host/really good restaurant where you have to try/sharing desert so you take a scoop, in a row and here goes my ability to control my portions out the window.

Am I doing it wrong with moderation here?

Sure I have trouble moderating some foods. I have a terrible time with things like goldfish crackers, cheese puffs, some kinds of chips. I buy them rarely or buy them in small containers because they are not worth the calories since they won't fill me up or help me meet my nutritional needs much. That is my way of moderating those foods. I buy other snacks that I also like.

At a party or dinner I don't really worry about the host feeling offended if I don't take a second helping of something. I say it was great but I am full. I am prepared to eat what is served at the event but I can be pretty firm about not taking more than I want to take. At a restaurant honestly have very rarely gotten dessert because I am full and the people I am with are usually full by then too. I have not felt social pressure to have dessert when eating out if I say I'm full.
    I have practiced eating things like dessert slowly to really savor it and find myself more satisfied than if I ate a lot more of it fast. I have figured out that I can have less pizza with a salad and feel satisfied. I can skip rice with my Chinese food sometimes and have more of something else. I can get a smaller sandwich without cheese. These are ways to moderate and still have what I want.

Find what works for you I guess.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I typically do not have regular sodas, lattes, or milkshakes. I tend to limit my dairy intake. I also don't usually eat much pork. Nothing against it, I just don't buy it often.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    The only thing I usually don't have is calorific beverages since I would rather eat more food. Usually I'll have a few diet sodas & water enhancers.

On a rare occasion I'll have a milkshake or regular soda.
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    There are no forbidden foods in my plan. I like to avoid simple carbs such as white flour and sugar. I don’t usually drink fruit juice because it doesn’t have fiber to help me feel full . Deserts make very rare appearances on my plate. I usually have two pieces of fruit daily.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I typically don't have sweet things (because I don't really want them). And I typically don't have baked things (bread, pastry, pizza base) as they don't sit well in my stomach.

I occasionally have all the above. Sometimes I regret it (heartburn from pizza base that's too thick for example), and sometimes I don't (Christmas Trifle)
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited November 2018
    You will rarely see a bean on my plate. Ever. Hummus form - maybe, rarely. I just don’t legume. I just don’t like them.
    ☺️ That means there are more beans for you guys.

Re my typical diet - I rarely eat anything with sugar. For a treat I might have blackberries or pomegranate here and there- but it’s infrequent.

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    whitej1234 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your answers they are very insightful.
    I unders

tand the concept of "there are no forbidden foods" as long as you eat them in moderate. But am I the only one with the weakness of not being able to stop myself from those foods so I prefer to not try them at all?

I mean for example I've learned that it takes me a few days of complete no sugar food to stop craving sweets in big amounts, these are tough 3-4 days but when they are done I don't crave sugar any more (I can still enjoy a piece of chocolate but it is not the same). Then I can have a bit here in there the so called moderation. But a few of these parties where I "had" to take that extra slice of cake to not offend the host/really good restaurant where you have to try/sharing desert so you take a scoop, in a row and here goes my ability to control my portions out the window.

Am I doing it wrong with moderation here?

@whitej1234
    Hey - no you are not alone! I abstain from certain foods as well because I have a hard time portion controlling. That’s why some diets work well for some and not others. Everyone is is different.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Abstention from certain foods is a valid strategy when one has difficulty exercising moderation.

@Anvil_Head yep- this! Sadly I can’t just eat a few tostitos - or i want all the tostitos. Sigh
    Bring on the lettuce lol