AAARRGGHH, I NEED A DONER KEBAB!!!

13»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm a bit skeptical about all those calorie counts that you guys have.

First, when I crave one of those... only lamb/beef will do (or whatever it's traditionally made with!).

But it's still nowhere near 1200 calories! 500 tops for the meat, 250 tops for the pita, tzatziki sauce is not that high calorie so maybe 100 calories, then just some lettuce, tomato and onion... maybe 50 more.

And even that's pushing it because the local place here has them at 700 calories. I'd like to see those 1200+ calorie ones...

Yeap you are right. Unless its something weird I dont see it either. Even if you account for any of the extra greasy stuff. There is a reason why ppl that eat these feel like crap after. Also the reason why they are best at 4am when you are coming back from a bar lol :)

Tzatziki does not go on doner kebab (gralic sauce and mayo sauce will go on).

Here it's gyros and it typically comes with tzatziki sauce.

Now I wonder what the difference is between a gyro and a doner kebab. I guess it's the sauce?

To add to what has already been said, the country of origin is different and the bread is also often different.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Guess what today is?.. Kebab day 🎉💃
    eh9nj6erwegy.jpg
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    All of the jealous :p
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited October 2018
    We don't have Doner Kebabs here & I want one -
  • oomwoc
    oomwoc Posts: 1 Member
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/home-style-doner-kebab/e745849f-1b9f-403c-b13a-e31c23e62e23

I make this but substitute low fat mince, I use half beef and half lamb mince :)
  • sharp8673
    sharp8673 Posts: 1 Member
    Definitely getting a kebab for tea on Friday 😁
  • 1987mac
    1987mac Posts: 1 Member
    My friend told me about this slow cooker donner kebab a while ago and i doubted it and to be honest the idea of it sounded awful. A while later I tried it and it's actually really good! I chopped up the salad like the kebab shop and added chilli sauce and it was enjoyable. Netmums have actually craked it!!

https://www.netmums.com/recipes/fakeaway-slow-cooker-doner-kebab
  • slimgirljo15
    Guess what I'm getting for lunch today...
    Chicken kebab with sweet chilli and garlic sauce.. yummmmm 😋
  • slimgirljo15
    edited November 2018
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Guess what I'm getting for lunch today...
    Chicken kebab with sweet chilli and garlic sauce.. yummmmm 😋

Except that this has nothing to do with doner kebab. Nothing.

I was simply posting a light hearted tease about my lunch.. it was a doner kebab.

here we tend to just say kebab when we order it..
    h03d5ytc9itg.jpg

The first pic is exactly what I had..

I thoroughly enjoyed it btw..
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/dieters-doner-kebabs

Not quite the same 😋but saves a lot of calories.
  • crazyravr wrote: »
    Please help. I absolutely crave some scrapings of that five day old, rat infested, elephant leg from my fat belly worry free days. Now though I'm watching my calorie intake. Doner kebab weighs in at about 93 billion calories. Surely with so much leeway, somebody must have come up with a low or at least lower cal option. I know Iceland do a slightly lower cal version, but if you have a recipe for a diet friendly version, I'll give you my life savings.

Make room for it if you crave it that much. Otherwise, its not worth it.

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.

Huh? What kind of Döner Kebab are you guys getting where you're from??? No kebab I've ever had was more than 700 calories, and that includes bread and sauce!

In a 2014 Which? investigation roughly half the “lamb” doners sampled contained other types of meat. An "average" kebab contains around 2,000 caloriesThe nutrition stats are shocking too. An average kebab contains around 2,000 calories – 80% of your GDA – and almost double your salt requirement.
    Thats for an "average" sized kebab. I used to order an extra large. Probably over double the size. So 4000.
  • crazyravr wrote: »
    Please help. I absolutely crave some scrapings of that five day old, rat infested, elephant leg from my fat belly worry free days. Now though I'm watching my calorie intake. Doner kebab weighs in at about 93 billion calories. Surely with so much leeway, somebody must have come up with a low or at least lower cal option. I know Iceland do a slightly lower cal version, but if you have a recipe for a diet friendly version, I'll give you my life savings.

Make room for it if you crave it that much. Otherwise, its not worth it.

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.

Huh? What kind of Döner Kebab are you guys getting where you're from??? No kebab I've ever had was more than 700 calories, and that includes bread and sauce!

I think Terry is from the UK based on his Iceland Super market reference.

A survey of 76 councils across the UK, which tested 490 kebab shops, revealed that on average a standard sized one contained 1006 Kcals per serving and a large one contained 2000 Kcals that was before sauces were added.

The high calories in those, compared to yours, is probably due to low quality fatty cuts of meats being used compared to the Veal in yours.

(The survey also found that one in 3 contained meat from multiple animals!)

Anyway now I'm craving one too. Maybe a small one....

0_SWNS_KATE_KEBAB_22.jpg

Mmm, multiple animals meat. Slurp. 😁
  • oomwoc wrote: »
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/home-style-doner-kebab/e745849f-1b9f-403c-b13a-e31c23e62e23

I make this but substitute low fat mince, I use half beef and half lamb mince :)

THANKS
  • 1987mac wrote: »
    My friend told me about this slow cooker donner kebab a while ago and i doubted it and to be honest the idea of it sounded awful. A while later I tried it and it's actually really good! I chopped up the salad like the kebab shop and added chilli sauce and it was enjoyable. Netmums have actually craked it!!

https://www.netmums.com/recipes/fakeaway-slow-cooker-doner-kebab

THANKS
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    I say, have that donner kabob for your dinner but not the biggest one you can find. Maybe a 700 kcal one but not the ones over 1,000kcal. Enjoy it and savor every mouthful. Tell yourself, you can one another time, maybe next week.
    We are looking for a lifestyle, not a temporary diet fix. If they are really important to you incoperate one into your daily calorie total from time to time. You won’t feel deprived. Remember nothing is off limits, if you stay in your calorie range. I like chocolate pudding with reddi whip. I save some calories so at the end of the day so I can have my treat ( jello chocolate pudding cup: 110 kcals plus a generous amount of reddi whip. I am guessing I need to save 150-169 in kcals to enjoy that. My treat doesn’t make me feel deprived.