Keto Queen about to lose the kingdom

Options
AlyssaP1987
AlyssaP1987 Posts: 267 Member
edited November 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hello! So I kicked some major keto ldql3xxc748f.jpg
butt for 6 months, lost 61 pounds. But the end of September I was in a car accident and ever since cannot get in the mindset. It wasn't a super bad accident, but I hurt my back and go to therapy 3 times a week. But I can't get out of this slump and I can't get myself back into eating keto. It makes me so angry at myself cause I seriously was amazing at keto and I inspired literally about 30 people to start it too and they have also been successful. This week U am not counting because of Thanksgiving but I need to get back on the keto train on Friday. It's the only thing that worked so well for me because I am truly addicted to carbs and when I completely had them out of my system I didn't even crave them. But now that I have had them again I can't stop myself. I haven't gained, but I also haven't lost a single pound since the accident. Looking for someone to help me get back on track. ♡ Here is my before and after. I am capable, just need my mind back in it.

Replies

• AlyssaP1987
    edited November 2018
    Options

<3
  • missbutton82
    missbutton82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to Add me as a friend and teach me about Keto. I’m 5’2 and currently 179.0 would like to lose 50 lbs. we can do this!
  • haylz2108
    haylz2108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too am a former keto queen, and I restarted again today. I am on track and just holding on by my fingertips, but I am still holding on. Having a carb addiction is the worst thing ever. I wants to eat ALL of the SUGAR!!!!!! Feel free to add me :)
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not t sure if anyone can give you the answer you are looking for. The mind is the only thing that keeps us all from doing amazing things. It took me six months of thinking about getting back the body and healthiness i once had. Six months of contemplation and excuse making. Then one day, it happened. And now it’s a habit again. If you can muster up the mental aptitude to just do one work out, just do one keto day, you can do this! Don’t think about anything but that one day. Keep your goal so short and so in front of you. Then, after that first day...think about the next. Keep your mind set on one day at a time for now. You can do this! Good luck. MFP community behind you!
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    I also thought at some point that I can't control myself around carbs. Turns out, it's a question of discipline... as everything else in life that is not instant gratification.

Best of luck on your journey. There are mixed opinions about keto here, and restrictive diets are really not a silver bullet but rather a more specific approach to the same old `eat less than you burn` mantra - which works no matter such complications. I don't know the long-term implications of eating very low carb (with the proper supplementation of course) - but if you're in good health and it fits you, I am absolutely sure you can get back to it with a bit of discipline.

However, I wanted to ask you if you thought about the `life after loss` - what are your plans after reaching your goal weight? Will you continue with keto into maintenance, or is it temporary?

I plan on doing keto maintenance. Adding some carbs back in but still limited.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    So sorry an accident really took you off course. How do you feel about the accident now, does it atill bother you? Have you fully recovered.
    I've never done keto, but I did paleo once and that was basically no carbs so I understand the great feeling you had.

When you started keto for the first time, how did it go? Did you get into it at full swing on day 1 or did you take it gradually?
    You're likely to have a bumpy start, but starting is what you need to do. Once you start, you'll slowly learn again to be without carbs, just like you did the first time.
    Don't try pick up where you left off. Start again.

The accident was a bad thing that happened and as long as there are no lasting effects I would accept what has happened and start to move forward.

Start by starting, the rest will come.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Remember that your body does need extra food for healing. If you are still not fully recovered, eating at a deficit, even using keto, may not be ideal right now.

I'm a diabetic and I eat low-ish carb but not keto. I've successfully lost 125 lbs this way and kept it off over a year without major cravings - and I used to be seriously all about the carbs. Carb addiction is not a thing, although eating carbs can make you crave more carbs if you are insulin resistant due to carbs making your insulin levels go up and down. Try controlling your carbs by logging and counting calories and sticking mainly to slower digesting carbs such as fruit for a while and see if it helps. You're planning to eat this way eventually, might as well learn how.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    151Proof wrote: »
    Do you think the keto diet is sustainable for you forever? What caused you to go off of it if it worked so well for you? Can you envision yourself eating keto for the rest of your life?
    I personally couldn't. Instead I prefer a more sustainable approach for myself( but everyone will have different tactics that work for them)

Honestly yes. I loved keto. Loveeeed it. I felt satisfied every single day and didn't miss carbs at all..Honestly I think I have a true addiction and I have to be low carb to be able to balance my life. I just need to stop being depressed about my accident and stop using food as a crutch.

Many of us who got to obesity used food as comfort. It was a friend who was always there and always worked.

I tend to be on the depressive/anxious side and I learned as a child that sugary things boosted my mood. Some people get more of a hit than others from carbs and I'm definitely one of them. Give me a loaf of baguette and I'm off. Bag of pretzels? GONE.

Really the only way through is to make the decision that you've quit eating them again and then stick to it.

Have you tried meditation? It's a great way to learn to wrangle the thoughts. :)

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    How did you get started initially? Try to think back and do that. Sometimes it's harder when you've lost a lot, since you don't have the "this must change" feeling, but try to focus back on your plans and goals when starting out and how good it felt.

Also, if you are eating to make yourself feel better (I do this too), can you pick something else instead of food?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    What a huge success to have maintained your loss through this tough time! Embrace that and make it all part of the plan. Perhaps focus on healing body and mind and pick a date to begin losing again? A traumatic event like the accident can really mess with your head and you need to honor the time you need to find your equilibrium. Pick a day a couple of weeks to a month out and give yourself time to prepare both your kitchen and your head.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 11,145 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I also do keto. It has been amazing for me also with awesome results. However, in Sept & Oct I was required to do a lot of travel. The restaurant food has gotten me completely off track and I have experienced a 4 - 5 pound weight gain that I keep losing and regaining.

I am back on track now (until the next out of town trip probably). This is what I recommend.

1. Forgive yourself. It's behind you. Look forward to the road ahead. You're almost there and your journey will be so rewarding!

2. Start slow, with one keto meal per day. Have the eggs & meat for breakfast or the Keto pancakes and eat normally for the next two meals.

3. Change your snacks back next. For something crunchy keep the almonds or walnuts in the house. For sweets, keep the dark chocolate (70% cacao or better) handy to slowly melt in your mouth.

4. Next change your lunch. Make it a Muenster sandwich. I eat 1 nearly everyday. And if I am extra hungry I eat 1.5 sandwiches. No bread. Muenster cheese (or provolone, cheddar etc) serves as the bread. The turkey, ham (meat of choice) sandwiched inside 2 pieces of cheese. You can even add mayo if you need more fat.

5. After a few days of those changes (put a few days between each change), change your dinner. Meal prep those favorite recipes and foods you love most on keto. Use the 90 second keto bread for your toast, garlic bread, sandwich bread etc at any meal. You can even spread some peanut butter on the bread for a nice hearty snack when you feel like you are starving. Peanut butter seems to satisfy both sweet and salty cravings but do the peanut butter in moderation.

6. Don't forget to start using your bulletproof coffee after you have changed up all 3 meals and snacks. Until you do, the bulletproof may add too much fat (calories) to your diet. But, as you know, when your carbs and macros are in check it is your Ace in the Whole when you need to feel full. I add a little sugar-free syrup to mine with a touch of stevia (Torani or Jordan's syrup). So many flavors to choose from. Hazelnut or salted caramel are my favorite.

7. Stay away from fat bombs until you feel more in control of your cravings. You can even overeat Keto friendly foods because they truly are delicious.

8. Move, move, move. Even if it's just marching in place or walking back & forth down the hallway. Use a Youtube video if you must. Anything to burn more and create that deficit you are looking for.

9. After about 2 full weeks of the all-out complete diet, you can begin the Intermittent Fasting. I do 16:8. Choose your own hours. I am a late night eater so I allow that and my 8 hour window starts in the late afternoon until night.

10. Log every day, NO MATTER WHAT. Even on the bad days. Work toward your perfect macros starting with 20 gr carbs, 99 gr fat, 80 gr protein. After a month or more you may increase the carbs but not more than 50 gr if you are still trying to lose weight.

11. Join some challenges on MFP. I love, "just give me 10 days". There are lots of great ones. Some weigh daily, some weekly, some are exercise challenges.

12. You can do this! Just take it one step at a time. Don't forget to increase your water right away.

13. On the "off days" if you cheat for social occasions, remember to get past it. Drink some lemon water or parsley water for the bloat. Hop back on the keto. It's okay to live your life and have birthday cake like everyone else. It's okay to have mashed potatoes and pie at Thanksgiving. But that is just a day. An occasion. An event. Your lifestyle is still keto. Keep your habits good at home (where we eat and snack 80% of the time) and the majority number will always win. Not that sneaky little 20%. If it's bad or you've fallen off the wagon (in the future) for many days, don't forget the power of the egg fast. It really works.

Best wishes to you. I, too, have been struggling. However, I am back on target and these are the methods I used.
    I hope this concrete advice will help.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    I also thought at some point that I can't control myself around carbs. Turns out, it's a question of discipline... as everything else in life that is not instant gratification.

Best of luck on your journey. There are mixed opinions about keto here, and restrictive diets are really not a silver bullet but rather a more specific approach to the same old `eat less than you burn` mantra - which works no matter such complications. I don't know the long-term implications of eating very low carb (with the proper supplementation of course) - but if you're in good health and it fits you, I am absolutely sure you can get back to it with a bit of discipline.

However, I wanted to ask you if you thought about the `life after loss` - what are your plans after reaching your goal weight? Will you continue with keto into maintenance, or is it temporary?

True that... life after loss is the harder part for most of us.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    So sorry an accident really took you off course. How do you feel about the accident now, does it atill bother you? Have you fully recovered.
    I've never done keto, but I did paleo once and that was basically no carbs so I understand the great feeling you had.

Paleo diet isn’t no carbs? Did you mean no grains, no dairy? Because fruits and vegetables are a heavy component of the paleo diet and are almost exclusively carbohydrates.

This is also why I think it’s not helpful to label oneself as a “carb addict”. First of all I don’t think that using the label of addict in reference to an inability to moderate certain foods is a helpful tool to find a solution. If one were truly “addicted to carbs” they would be digging in the trash can for apple cores and broccoli stems to get a fix.

What most people mean when asked to clarify is that they have difficulty moderating their intake of certain foods, often baked goods/sweets or things that are a delightfully palatable mix of carbs and fat so I’m not sure why carbs are demonized in that scenario.

OP I’m sorry you’re having a rough go. If you’ve done it before you can do it again. If keto is a way of eating that you enjoy, find satiating and sustainable and it helps you stay away from trigger foods, then good on you. Start it just the way you started it before. If you think this may not be long term sustainable may just want to consider a lowish carb diet with a consistent calorie deficit since it’s the calories that cause the weight loss no matter what. Good luck!

Haha oh yeah you're right, I forgot that fruit and veg have carbs /face-palm.
    I meant things like bread, pasta, rice etc.
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    151Proof wrote: »
    Do you think the keto diet is sustainable for you forever? What caused you to go off of it if it worked so well for you? Can you envision yourself eating keto for the rest of your life?
    I personally couldn't. Instead I prefer a more sustainable approach for myself( but everyone will have different tactics that work for them)

Honestly yes. I loved keto. Loveeeed it. I felt satisfied every single day and didn't miss carbs at all..Honestly I think I have a true addiction and I have to be low carb to be able to balance my life. I just need to stop being depressed about my accident and stop using food as a crutch.

Many of us who got to obesity used food as comfort. It was a friend who was always there and always worked.

I tend to be on the depressive/anxious side and I learned as a child that sugary things boosted my mood. Some people get more of a hit than others from carbs and I'm definitely one of them. Give me a loaf of baguette and I'm off. Bag of pretzels? GONE.

Really the only way through is to make the decision that you've quit eating them again and then stick to it.

Have you tried meditation? It's a great way to learn to wrangle the thoughts. :)

No but I am open to anything. I will look into that. Thanks
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot do a keto lifestyle under 20g of carbs permanently,but I believe I could stay between 20-40ish on an ongoing basis. It leaves me a little leaway for a treat here or there or a higher carb veggie mixed in a dish,just more sustainable but keeps my carb cravings at Bay.