What is considered a "good" weight for farmers walks?

Options
Anyone want to chime in on what a "good", respectable weight for a 30 meter farmers walk is?

I started getting serious about them about 2 months ago. Started with 75lb dumbbells per hand doing 4-6 sets of a lap of my old gym. I'm at a new gym now and I currently walk the length of the turf which is around 30 meters. Moved past dumbbells, currently using a trap bar at 315lbs. The strength gain has leveled off a bit, 315 is feeling about 85%-90% of what I think I could possibly manage at the moment. Doubt I could go heavier than 350ish, especially not without straps.

My current stats are 251lbs, 6'1, somewhere around 25% bf.

About the only info I can find is saying that you need around bodyweight per hand to be competitive...is that true? At this point, that would total more than i can even deadlift at the moment. Even at my goal weight of 220 that's walking with around 35lbs less than my current max deadlift.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It depends why you do them. You'll rarely need to carry more than 75 lbs in everyday life, so for "functional strength", you've got overkill. If you plan to compete, keep going..
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There isn't a set good weight to train considering the ROI, unless you are competing in strongman type events. Then increasing weight over long term would be useful.

I certainly wouldn't compare farmer carries to deadlift. They are two entirely different movements/grips and require different skill. If they are simular in weight, it's simply because your deadlift is undertrained and/or your programming isn't focused on one rep max of the deadlift.

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Unless you're competing in it, I don't believe there's a general number to target. If it's important to you, then establish your own goals and work towards them.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It'll probably come down to grip strength more than anything else. I can only routinely carry 1.3x bodyweight in a farmers carry for any extended amount of time with my current grip strength.

Edit - If you are wanting to train your legs more than grip, you can always throw a training partner across your shoulder for a fireman's carry.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    More than the last time...
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It'll probably come down to grip strength more than anything else. I can only routinely carry 1.3x bodyweight in a farmers carry for any extended amount of time with my current grip strength.

Edit - If you are wanting to train your legs more than grip, you can always throw a training partner across your shoulder for a fireman's carry.

I did the math, im at 1.26x bodyweight total. And yeah you are right, its the grip that's starting to become limiting I think...the bar is in my fingertips by the time I put it down most sets.

I don't regularly train with a partner so fireman carries are out Unfortionately...but I have gotten permission to put a yoke at my gym if I want to, I just need a spare $600 lol.