Fitbit or apple watch?

Options
Which one do you prefer?

Replies

• belliott0423
    belliott0423 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used both. I prefer my Apple Watch because I feel that it is more accurate.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Apple Watch from a Fitbit. I think if you are completely new to exercise, aren't sure what data you want and have never owned a tracker before, Fitbit is a better choice because it tracks everything into one spot out of the box. My Fitbit dashboard had steps, workouts, sleep information, calorie burn, everything all in one single app. You can track calories directly into the Fitbit app if you want. For someone new to fitness trackers I think this is beneficial because you don't have to seek out any additional apps to track sleep, calorie balance etc.

That being said, I prefer my Apple Watch. I am an iPhone and MacBook user so I like that my watch is also in the "ecosystem." It looks nicer (shallow but you wear it every day!), and I like that I can control music and log strength workouts and do a lot of non-fitness things through the watch. The only drawback is you do need to use multiple apps to get the same information the one Fitbit dashboard has. I have a third party sleep tracking app, the native activity app has steps, workouts and active minutes, Apple Health has calories consumed but I need to go to MFP to get how many calories are left in my daily allowance. So if you're not sure what information you want, I think this setup could be overwhelming at first.
  • Dawnvt41
    Dawnvt41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had both and I love the fitbit. I think it's because I had the fitbit first, had a ton of friends on there, and then switched. I do think Apple watch is more accurate though....my fitbit gives me credit for all sorts of weird stuff (like climbing 50 floors when all I did that day was drive...lol)
  • domevans00
    domevans00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All depends on your daily lifestyle both are amazing in their own ways
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit zip (the clip-on kind). I have a Fitbit Aria. I have an Apple watch. I have the Fitbit app installed on my iphone.

I prefer the Apple watch. It does a whole lot more, especially in conjunction with the iPhone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether or not you want a really awesome smart watch with some decent fitness tracking capabilities or if you want a pretty solid fitness tracker that has decent smart watch capabilities. Personally, if I was shooting for the latter I would go with a Garmin product.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Depends on whether or not you want a really awesome smart watch with some decent fitness tracking capabilities or if you want a pretty solid fitness tracker that has decent smart watch capabilities. Personally, if I was shooting for the latter I would go with a Garmin product.

I love my Garmin Forerunner watch. I was comparing it to my son's Apple watch recently and I'm very satisfied with my Garmin. It literally does everything I need it to and is totally waterproof as well. The only think I'd really need another app for is the weather and I live in CA so weather isn't something I need to track. If I'm curious I just use my phone for that. It syncs with MFP very easily and tracks my calories from MFP as well. Sleep function is decent although a little easy to trick...............lol and step and HR monitor are pretty accurate. Occasionally the HR function just doesn't work at all but most of the time it's very close IMO. It doesn't really have a strength training function but I just enter it as cardio and it gives me a pretty accurate calorie burn based on my HR. It can definitely tell the difference between circuit training and strength training and the calorie burn shows it.

Anyway, I think my Garmin was about $100 less than the Apple watch if that matters to you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

^ This. I've owned Fitbits, an Apple Watch and a Garmin. I like the Garmin best out of all of them, even though I'm a big fan of Apple products and the entire rest of my electronic 'ecosystem' is Apple (iMac, Macbook, iPads, iPod, iPhone, etc.).
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My main painpoint with the apple watch is there is no face to show steps, only "Active Calories".

Also, I haven't checked in a few months but last time i checked the apple health api to mfp does not work as intended. So if your apple watch calories burned for the day is 3,000 calories, that doesn't get synced with MFP you just get a calculated algorithm based on your step total.

• juliemturner72
    juliemturner72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Apple Watch