How do you keep yourself motivated?

Options
Hey guys!
I have been on and off on losing weight for as long as I can remember but this time I’m determined to make it happen and live a healthier life.
The thing is even though I’m determined, I often feel burn out within a week (I know hahaha) but then I’d start again. It’s been a month with this pattern and I lost 9 lbs, honestly better than I thought.
But still I don’t think it will be good in the long run, I want to be consistent and enjoy doing this and finally make it happen.
How do you keep yourself motivated? How do you make yourself enjoy doing this?
I get bored really easily and I don’t like being like this haha.
I’d love it if you could share your tips and tricks.
Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Plus make some smart goals and sustainable changes instead of going all out for a month and then crashing and burning
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Slow
    And steady wins the race
  • preciousIam
    preciousIam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I believe this may be a lifestyle you have to incorporate into your life permanently. I have met people that have tracked their food for yrs. That is my perspective though. You need to find what keeps you motivated. Also remember respect yourself, your body is a temple. As you get older, that extra weight will cause you health problems.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    slow and steady. I also give myself little rewards for every 10 pounds I lose. Like a healthy cookbook, pj set, new shirt, race entry
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't good enough.
    You cannot "stay motivated" for the long term.

It takes discipline.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Slower is better, in that it gives time to make new habits.
    Personally, a big motivator for me are all the smaller clothes I’m replacing my wardrobe with.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within but people use different sources to help.

I keep a pair of old jeans. Once in a while, I put them on to remember how far I've come. That & old photos help me.

Other people follow fitspiration pages online.

Decide what YOU want and set small goals for yourself.

Also, I think the key is to realize that this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! To successfully keep the weight off, you can't go back to the old habits that got you to your highest weight.

You can try to keep things interesting by doing fun workouts on youtube, plan meals & try to make a game out of beating the previous weeks goals.

Hope this helps!
  • HeidiRReed
    HeidiRReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I printed out a spreadsheet with each pound I want to lose in one square so that I could cross the pounds off as I lose them. I found it really motivating to see the big X’s across the numbers. I also gave myself a little prize every 8lbs or so; new workout gear, a massage, new work clothes, etc. I also find it helpful to have people doing it alongside me, feel free to add me if you want and we can cheer each other on!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that is so miserable to begin with? You need to do whatever you’re doing for the rest of your life-not just until you lose the weight then you go back to “normal”. So if whatever you’re doing isn’t something you can sustain forever, then you may want to rethink your current approach (meaning including foods you actually like, in quantities that don’t feel like starvation, doing exercise you enjoy in a way (frequency/duration) that is sustainable, etc.)