Sore to skip or not to skip

Options
today i woke up feeling very sore and just mentally not bursting of energy. i only have time to hit the gym 3 times a week and was wondering if missing one day will hurt my progress or should i just suck it up and go to the gym today?

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Skipping wont get you to your desired results. Understanding there is a difference between soreness and pain.

What did you workout that is sore?

Legs, if so hit the bike for abour 10-15 mins to loosen them up some.
    Back, hit the row machine or Elliptical

Hydrate, do you take a post workout / recovery supplement?
  • johnshz
    johnshz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i will suck up then. mostly my legs are very sore and today is leg day for me
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Once you get started with exercise you won't notice the soreness. If you feel sore for a few days without let up then I would take a break until you feel more rested.

This is based on nothing except my own experience. I persevered and ran through soreness for two weeks. I could do the run but there was never a day I didn't feel sore, achey or tired. Rested until I wasn't sore anymore then ran again. Didn't affect my performance but I also didn't feel like cr*p for the rest of the day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Sore or pain? Sore = don't skip. Pain = skip or change in such a way that you're not aggravating whatever is hurting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    johnshz wrote: »
    i will suck up then. mostly my legs are very sore and today is leg day for me

When did you last do legs? Or what has made them sore?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends, at least for me. If it is just a bit of soreness, I do my warmup then typically work through it. If the soreness is very extreme, and I don't think I will perform my best, I will try to do another bodypart or do a higher rep workout. For example, there are days where I have such extreme hamstring soreness that it starts to affect all my leg workouts (last thing I want is an injury or compromise my goals), when that happens I will do upper or cardio instead.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It kind of depends, at least for me. If it is just a bit of soreness, I do my warmup then typically work through it. If the soreness is very extreme, and I don't think I will perform my best, I will try to do another bodypart or do a higher rep workout. For example, there are days where I have such extreme hamstring soreness that it starts to affect all my leg workouts (last thing I want is an injury or compromise my goals), when that happens I will do upper or cardio instead.

This is how I approach it too. With proper programming you should be recovered from soreness bu the next time you work that body part. I have the same question someone else asked. When was the last leg workout?
  • jdr0p_
    jdr0p_ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I'm really, really sore, I'll skip the workout and replace with yoga.