Is 2lbs a week too much now?

Options
I re-started my fitness journey in April by getting back to lifting weights after 2 years off (lifted for 5+ previously). Went from 288 to 301 in about 4 months of just eating a lot and getting enough protien, got most of my strength back. At 301, I put myself on a 1000 cal deficit and began cutting 2lbs a week. Currently sitting at 6'1, 251-253, 24-27% body fat by most estimates.

At first I still experienced strength gains even in a deficit, but those have leveled off and I'm starting to lose a bit of strength now, namely on squat and deadlift. While I know I should expect some strength loss, I'm starting to wonder if I should decrease my deficit as I am only 32 lbs away from my goal weight of 220.

Would decreasing my deficit to a 750 or 500 a day mitigate the strength loss? Or is there a different macro split I can try (I'm at 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protien) Maybe up the carbs a bit? Will a slower loss yield less strength loss? Or should I just sprint to 220 on 2lbs a week (still well over 2000 calories) and just deal with it and re-gain when I can just cut/bulk between 220-230 over and over?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If you're only 32 pounds from your goal, then yes, 2lbs/week is too aggressive. Even if it weren't, the fact that you're seeing strength loss (and I assume fatigue, etc.) means you're not fueling to your goals. Go ahead and give 1lb/week a try; the worst that will happen is your loss will slow more than you want and you'll decide to go back to 2lbs instead.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Cut back to a 500 calorie deficit. Unless you have a bodybuilding competition date looming, or something, there is no deadline. Work smarter, not harder. A bigger calorie deficit means you're probably losing more muscle than you want.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Cut back to a 500 calorie deficit. Unless you have a bodybuilding competition date looming, or something, there is no deadline. Work smarter, not harder. A bigger calorie deficit means you're probably losing more muscle than you want.

No bodybuilding competition, but I am strongly considering doing some local strongman stuff - I want to compete in the under 105kg (231lbs) class - hence the goal weight of 220.
  • quiksylver296
    edited November 2018
    Options

No bodybuilding competition, but I am strongly considering doing some local strongman stuff - I want to compete in the under 105kg (231lbs) class - hence the goal weight of 220.

When's your next comp?

And if you want to compete in the 105 kg class, one would usually try to come in as close to 105 kg as possible. I compete in 84 kg, and I'm pissed if I weigh in at 82 kg. I could have eaten those other 2 kg, *kitten*!!!
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

When's your next comp?

And if you want to compete in the 105 kg class, one would usually try to come in as close to 105 kg as possible. I compete in 84 kg, and I'm pissed if I weigh in at 82 kg. I could have eaten those other 2 kg, *kitten*!!!

This would be my first comp. There's one in June that I am looking at - I was thinking cut to 220 by around March/April and then slowly bulk a half pound a week a week to 230 again - only this time make it muscle not fat - thing is, June might be a bit aggressive - my lifts are decent, but not stromgman comp decent. Idk if I can get them there until I eat at maintenence or a surplus for a good amount of time.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    250 to 230 by June is certainly do-able. You have 27 weeks until June 1. Whether you just slow cut, or cut then bulk is up to you, I guess. I'd slow cut at a pound a week, personally.

As for your lifts, your first comp should be just "for fun" anyway. Get in there, put up some numbers, have fun and learn how to do it better next time!