My first time to be on a message board.

Options
Today is number 230 on MFP. This is the first time I have posted to a message board. I was just going to see what it's all about.

Replies

• pgb3050
    pgb3050 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too let me know if you figure it out lol
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Just pick the message board most relevant to your post. Post any questions or comments, read the replies and hopefully you get some great advice, or see someone you feel would make a good friend. I have learned lots of interesting viewpoints and got loads of great advice from a lot of very knowledgeable people.

Have fun with the boards and enjoy being a part of the MFP community.
  • Davorama19
    Davorama19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it. It's just kind of a new format for me.
    thank you for the advice.
  • pgb3050
    pgb3050 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    And to add to all the excellent info above....

Remember that it is difficult to read tone.

An abrupt reply can often be cultural, not rude.
    (I'm originally from northern England and thrive on bluntness and sarcasm, I try to avoid using both on MFP)

There are people from around the world posting here, sometimes comprehension is not that easy for both sides.

If in doubt, read with Donald Duck's voice.

Cheers, h.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    As a general guide to judging posts

- If it gets a lot of 'like' it's very likely good information and you should pay attention to what is being said
    - If it gets a lot of 'woo' it's very likely that the information is wrong, misleading or misguided and you should ignore what is being said and look for a reply to that post with a lot of 'like' as to why the information is likely rubbish
    - If it gets 1 or 2 'woo' then it's very likely that this person has called out someone on their bad info and they have what I call a Woo Stalker.
    - There are stickied posts at the top of the forums with awesome information. They're must reads.

Welcome

In my personal opinion, the "woo" option needs to go. First it is named improperly. Why not call it "boo" or "disagree"? I think I clicked Woo a few times because I liked what was said. Also, I think that at times it is used to gang up on people. I was in a thread one time with people who evidently all knew one another. I said something that everyone disagreed with and got tons of "woos". Even when I apologized I still got "woos".

I do agree that, for the most part, people are really nice here. But there are some aggressive and kind of mean people here too.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have just been here a couple of months and trying to figure out these message boards. I like the Food and Nutrition boards the most as well as a biggest loser challenge group that I joined.