Will power and fear

Options
It’s amazing how you have lived your whole life one way and then your trying so hard to change. Where is the will power? It should be there right? I’m terrified I’m going to be the next person on my 600 pound life. I don’t want to be out of control!

Replies

• pcreaton
    pcreaton Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I feel myself slipping and am scared it’s just going to get worse with the holidays. I need more time in my day, energy, someone to workout with, and cook for me. Too much to ask? 😂
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Then take a control of your mind and don't let it trick you into indulging. Our brain always want us stay in comfort zone...kind of like we get used to indulging but similarly we can train our brain to do the right thing...not going to be easy....but hard..nut not impossible. Choice is yours. Stay Strong
  • dylanalexander4906
    Options
    Don’t be afraid to do a little introspection now and then. Find that person you were and want to be again. Fear is a tremendous motivator when applied properly.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Unlike a lot of people, I weighed myself regularly all the way from 184 lbs to 285lbs. When I got to 285, I could see 300lbs was within easy reach.

I asked myself- When is this going to end?
    I answered- Who said it has to end?

I vowed to change, and did. I weighed about 170 lbs when I left for the holiday trip last week. But I don’t think it has much to do with willpower. Some, but willpower is a limited resource. Best save it for times when you absolutely need it.

Likewise, motivation is limited. It comes and goes. Long term weight loss has to keep moving ahead through good times and bad.

How? The process. Plan, execute, keep a diary no matter what, problem solve the weak points and repeat it again next week.
    Calculate a moderate calorie deficit and try to hit your number. Go over? Log it into your diary. Wildly over? Log it. How did your plan prove to be inadequate? How can you make it better? Always keep trying to make your plan better. What’s the measure of a good plan? 1) you lose weight 2) you can live with it. A plan you won’t actually follow is not a good plan.

You can learn control. Calorie counting really does work. Weight loss is a set of things to do. There’s no secret motivation sauce. Do the work, the results will follow.

Last- don’t make it about character. That ups the ante in an unhelpful way. You have what you need. Albert Ellis wrote something like this- the problem with people and willpower is they make it all about will and not enough about power. Make a plan for next week and start a food diary. You can do it.

Great post. Thank you.