Pole Fitness Classes

Options
Pole dancing/fitness classes... anyone done it? what fitness level is required? what were your results? it looks fun! but is that all it is?

Replies

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this too. I just got one of those email deals for pole dancing classes near me and I'm curious.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm taking pole classes with Aradia Fitness and absolutely LOVE it!
    I was not in shape, pretty much at all, when I started, but we do a lot of floor work as well as pole work at the classes I take, so my fitness has definitely improved. I only take one class a week, so I combine it with my treadmill, and the JM 6 wekk 6 pack dvd, and I've dropped 12 lbs in about 2 months.

Aradia Fitness has different levels, which increase in difficulty as you go up, and I was hooked by the end of level one. I'm nearing the end of level two, and am enjoying it so much I want to get a pole of my own.

I highly recommend trying it out, but try looking around and what different company's offer, and maybe going to a intro class before signing up for a whole bunch.

Hope this helped :)
  • catalame
    catalame Posts: 40
    Options
    We teach it. You can begin with a very low level of fitness as a good instructor will help you go at your own pace.

The workout uses the aerobic and anerobic energy systems and a good class should include an aerobic warm up, a section on the pole and a full cool down. The better you get at pole, the more calories you will burn and the more muscle you will build. It will initally work the core, triceps and shoulders, but more advanced tricks will work other bodyparts too. Freedance (where you combine moves over a period of several minutes) provide excellent intervals, and many instructors will include circuit training too (we do...).

If you have a great deal of weight to loose, you will need to augment it with something else.

Jagoochie and I are happy to answer any questions you want, and check out www.southpoleakademy.co.uk for an FAQ.
  • Ashmeistar
    Ashmeistar Posts: 27
    Options
    I absolutely love it! It's done wonders for my self esteem as well as being brilliant for toning up and flexibilty. It tones muscles you didnt know you had and making up dance routines is hard work. I googled how many calories it can burn and the results were a bit vague, but one site said 250 in an hour+half. It certainly feels like it sometimes. I highly reccomend it.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i tried for fun with a friend a few years ago & LOVED it! i wasn't in shape at ALL & you wear shorts & a tee or whatever is comfortable to work out in but it is preferable that your thighs aren't completely covered (you need the grip of your skin on the pole), the shirt isn't too lose where it'll fly up, & comfortable heels. i wore my fav stiletto's & a fitted tee with regular mesh shorts (i think part of the experiance is seeing your body looking sexy). it was a lot of fun & they don't push you to do more than you can handle & it was mostly the instructor demonstrating & then us practicing. it isn't serious cardio, but i used muscles that i'd never used before & left feeling really confident, sexy, & proud of myself, with lots of pole burn on my arms & legs & my body was sore the next day. ♥ it was overall a great experience & i wish they offered classes like that by me!
  • mol1021
    mol1021 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it is a workout....depending on the classes offered, taking the introduction class or beginner classes are perfect for someone new to working out....per my experience, my intro class was a lot of strectching, learning basic steps, and finding your "sexy"....your abs, legs and arms will feel it .....but it really was a lot of fun!!!!!!! If I could afford it...I would definitely have continued with them :-)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You mean to tell me women now pole dance for fitness??????.......WINNING!!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    AND you can pay for the classes by getting a part time job in a strip club!
  • catalame
    Options
    If you're doing freedance or advanced tricks (level 5+) than the calories burn is quite high. If you are stoping and starting, it's about 180 calories an hour sometimes less.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    It is my (humble) opinion that a fitness plan should cover 1 or both of these: resistance (weights, body, bands, etc) and elevated heart rate. As we know, resistance training strengthens and tones muscles while cardio work burns calories, helping with weight loss. There are different "zones" your heart should be beating/minute for weight loss, etc. but the bottom line is that MOST (not all) women want to LOSE weight. All that being said, any fitness program should elevate your heart rate to work within the fat burning zone and should STAY THERE for at least 20-30 mins.

No doubt, doing the pole dancing thing gives you sore muscles. It's no different that going to the gym and using the weights/machines. You make your muscles work, they get sore... simple as that. :)
  • catalame
    Options
    Pole is both resistance and cardio... like skinning the cat of a power cage.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Do it!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

Do it!

that's the plan! just kidding. although it's an intriguing fallback plan in case my current career tanks.
  • lilcuteness
    lilcuteness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There's no removal of clothes in any classes I've seen. Best exercise I can think of...you are lifting your whole body weight (many times per class), working your flexibility, creating cardio with every climb & invert, and holding poses for an isometric workout as well. I'm drenched at the end of every class.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We teach it. You can begin with a very low level of fitness as a good instructor will help you go at your own pace.

The workout uses the aerobic and anerobic energy systems and a good class should include an aerobic warm up, a section on the pole and a full cool down. The better you get at pole, the more calories you will burn and the more muscle you will build. It will initally work the core, triceps and shoulders, but more advanced tricks will work other bodyparts too. Freedance (where you combine moves over a period of several minutes) provide excellent intervals, and many instructors will include circuit training too (we do...).

If you have a great deal of weight to loose, you will need to augment it with something else.

Jagoochie and I are happy to answer any questions you want, and check out www.southpoleakademy.co.uk for an FAQ.

indeed we do

we have over a decade of experience between the two of us

i persocnally have been poling for 6 years - teaching for 5, and am also an internationl judge and instructor trainer!

it is a great ll over workout!

if you are in teh UK check out the pole dance community to find regitered pole school near you
    if you are in teh south east check us out at south pole akademy and also pole passion
    :)

i tought a two and a half hour session on monday
    it included warm up, 30 minutes of pole cicuits, pole moves and cool down and i burnt over 800calories!!!
  • emzni
    emzni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great to find some fellow pole lovers here!! :) I just had to create the exercise in fitnesspal as they didn't have it which I am suprised at! Through some research I have found it typically burns 250 cals in one hour for those who are beginners/intermediates! I only started poling 4 months ago and I am already seeing the difference in my body! I love it so much I just bought my 'xpole xpert' on sunday! :-D should be here tomorrow, can't wait! For me, it is definitely an addictive and fun type of exercise! Miles better than the gym!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great to find some fellow pole lovers here!! :) I just had to create the exercise in fitnesspal as they didn't have it which I am suprised at! Through some research I have found it typically burns 250 cals in one hour for those who are beginners/intermediates! I only started poling 4 months ago and I am already seeing the difference in my body! I love it so much I just bought my 'xpole xpert' on sunday! :-D should be here tomorrow, can't wait! For me, it is definitely an addictive and fun type of exercise! Miles better than the gym!

thats fab!!!
  • lilcuteness
    lilcuteness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @emzni--I love my Xpert pole! You'll have so much fun with it! I use the 250 calories per hour estimate when I log in, btw.