plateau:( HELP!

Options
Someone help me please!!! I seem to be stuck. I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day, do the elliptical about 45 min a day 5 days a week, drink well over my water, and don't seem to be losing any weight anymore. At first it just melted off, now I'm stuck :grumble:

Am I doing something wrong? My current weight is 277 (if that helps determine my calorie needs)--my doctor told me to go down to 1200, but that doesn't seem to be working at all :explode:
Help!

Replies

• rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Someone help me please!!! I seem to be stuck. I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day, do the elliptical about 45 min a day 5 days a week, drink well over my water, and don't seem to be losing any weight anymore. At first it just melted off, now I'm stuck :grumble:

Am I doing something wrong? My current weight is 277 (if that helps determine my calorie needs)--my doctor told me to go down to 1200, but that doesn't seem to be working at all :explode:
    Help!
  • scrappy11
    Options
    I would say that you might want to either increase your calories or start to do more cardio. Are you eating your exercise calories? I think that going down to 1200 calories wouldn't be that good for you cause that isn't a lot of food. Based on your weight and the way you exercise I would say to increase your calories instead of decrease. I hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • rsalgado
    Options
    I would say that you might want to either increase your calories or start to do more cardio. Are you eating your exercise calories? I think that going down to 1200 calories wouldn't be that good for you cause that isn't a lot of food. Based on your weight and the way you exercise I would say to increase your calories instead of decrease. I hope this helps. :bigsmile:

I don't know why, but I'm SOOO scared to increase my calories. It's almost like I am afraid to eat more. I guess I'm afraid that it could undo all that I have worked so hard for, but I will definitely try it :)
  • rialynn79
    Options
    Maybe changing up your workout routine might help? Though I'm going through the same thing actually. I spoke to a trainer at the gym and he said that if I mixed up my cardio workouts it might help? Sorry I'm not a lot of help, but I hope you find something that helps. If you figure out something that works, will you post about it? :)
  • rsalgado
    Options
    Maybe changing up your workout routine might help? Though I'm going through the same thing actually. I spoke to a trainer at the gym and he said that if I mixed up my cardio workouts it might help? Sorry I'm not a lot of help, but I hope you find something that helps. If you figure out something that works, will you post about it? :)

Will do :smile:
  • beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    I would say change up your routine. Shock your body by doing exercise at a different time of the day or something besides the elliptical. I love the elliptical but I limit myself and I do different things for cardio constantly.

As far as the calories and that, I can't give that much advice because I am just starting out myself. I do wish you the best though with it! :flowerforyou:
  • swissdutchess
    Options
    its happening to me, too! >:O

I'm just trying to work out harder and eat my exercise calories. I wasn't at first, cause it felt like if I ate more than 1200 than I wouldn't loose weight, but then they said on Biggest Loser that one contestant wasn't loosing weight cause he was doing the same thing, and then when he started to eat all his calories, he started loosing weight again.

Just keep at it! At least you aren't gaining anything. :) You can do it!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to do some weight lifting as well (dumb bells or weight machines) and maybe try going on the treadmill or bike just to mix up your workout as your body is probably used to the same exercise you are doing. Or maybe get a personal trainer for a session. Hope this helps.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Help!

Try increasing your workout and mixing it up a bit alternating between the elliptical and something else. I would stick to the calories your Doctor recomended and just boost the workout and watch your sodium... make sure the calories your getting are good ones not empty calories. If after boosting your workout you are still having issues then just contact your Doc again. Good Luck
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    your body is a smart machine.. the same calories and activity day in and day out eventually your body wises up and quits doing what you want it to do.

1. Every 10lbs closer to your goal weight recalculate your intake needs.
    2. Increase your cardio by 20% if you want to keep using the eliptical, so you either need to increase the resistance or do 54 minutes of cardio
    3. Change your routine. Make sure you have added some strength training to your routine and ride the bike, walk on the treadmill, spin class, water aerobics something new. This will work new muscles and your body will start to work with you again.

You will need to do one or all of the above for about 10-14 days before your body potentially reacts.. Time to kick it up a notch! :drinker:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    When I started I weighed a little less than you and I have never went below 1600 cals. I usually eat around 2000-2200 cals everyday (including exercise) and have never hit a plateau. I know we are all different. I don't know what your medical situation may be but upping your cals may be the way to go.

I read an article recently which recommends losing 10% then go to maintenance for a couple of weeks so your body will know you are not starving it..