Egg beaters

Options
Just wondering if egg beaters can be substituted for whole eggs?
Thank you

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I think that's the point of them. :)

But, because someone will eventually ask, why not use whole eggs?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think that's the point of them. :)

But, because someone will eventually ask, why not use whole eggs?

The reason i use them is for volume. 4 egg whites is 100 calories. 1 egg is 70. I would have to eat 350 calories worth of eggs to get the equivalent volume. I can mix in veggies and use salsa for less than the eggs alone.

Heck, tomorrow i added guac and ham for equivalent calories of 4 eggs.

Oh, and egg white/beaters are pure protein, so it helps me get those numbers up.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters add tons of food volume without much calories; So much, that I am sick of eating egg beaters after some intense dieting (<3 whole eggs though)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if egg beaters can be substituted for whole eggs?
    Thank you

Yes - as long as the recipe doesn't call for egg yolks.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    yoke = emulsifier, important in cooking/recipes calling for eggs specifically...no emulsion from whites
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    yoke = emulsifier, important in cooking/recipes calling for eggs specifically...no emulsion from whites

Also, yoke = deliciousifier. :)

I can eat egg whites/beaters, but I have to have at least one yolk mixed in with them. Egg whites by themselves are almost flavorless.

This is why I always add one egg too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Also, yoke = deliciousifier. :)

I can eat egg whites/beaters, but I have to have at least one yolk mixed in with them. Egg whites by themselves are almost flavorless.

This is why I always add one egg too.

That's what I do. I don't eat egg beaters specifically (just get egg whites), but yeah. One whole egg plus extra whites for volume. And lots of veggies. And feta. Yum.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Amount Per 1 large whole (50 g)
    Calories 72
    Protein 6 g
    2 eggs = 144cal - 12g protein

Amount Per 1 large (33 g)
    Calories 17
    Protein 3.6 g
    4 egg whites = 68cal - 14.4g protein

Egg whites give you more protein for the calories with less fat and much much less taste.

I often do a half measure - I will poach the eggs but leave the yolk runny, cut them up with the fork and let the yolk run, mixing it up. Eat it with the fork and don't mop up the remaining yolk. I actually like them this way; it's not something I just put up with. I would also enjoy mopping up the yolk on toast or mixing them into buttered grits; that I usually am avoiding, though sometimes I go ahead and do that if there is room in the calories budget (there always is if I want to make trade offs, of course).
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters are basically egg whites with emulsifiers added to replace the yolks. Depending on what you want to use them for they should work most of the time if the recipe calls for beaten eggs (or whole eggs mixed in). However, they will tend to work "dryer" since there are less fats. So especially in baking, remember that. It can affect the final product. They can work as a binder in Meatballs/Meatloaf for example. We have also used them in cookies with success. That being said, they won't work in a custard, since that really depends on the yolks.

Hope that helps.